"Love This Giant" impressions

Rock's Renaissance Man

Re: "Love This Giant" impressions

Postby jd23 on October 16th, 2012, 11:58 pm

I never said anything of the sort, didn't even imply it. Popularity comes and goes, and I believe recently Byrne has hit a wave as Oedepus has pointed out and I'm happy about it. I'm not old enough to know how popular Byrne was at the height of TH fame, but I've read plenty on it.

I couldn't really comment on the talent of these autotuned singers you've mentioned because I don't know enough about them. But it doesn't bother me that they're more popular or highly regarded by many, I'm sure they've worked hard to get where they are and to each his own. I prefer a talent I have to seek out, or discover by accident, it makes it that little more personal.
jd23
Ruby Dear

Postby Wickeddoll on October 17th, 2012, 1:36 am

jd23 wrote:I never said anything of the sort, didn't even imply it. Popularity comes and goes, and I believe recently Byrne has hit a wave as Oedepus has pointed out and I'm happy about it. I'm not old enough to know how popular Byrne was at the height of TH fame, but I've read plenty on it.

I meant no disrespect, but it really did sound like you weren't aware of how popular he/TH were in the 80s, and you've just confirmed only reading about it. Solo DB still hasn't seen the success of those years. I'm 54, so I do remember the popularity of TH, which was considerable. "Burning Down The House" is the song I mention when people don't know who DB/TH are - they instantly remember, despite not knowing the artist(s). Haven't met a single person who isn't familiar with at least BDTH. Some even know several other TH songs, just not who did them.

I couldn't really comment on the talent of these autotuned singers you've mentioned because I don't know enough about them. But it doesn't bother me that they're more popular or highly regarded by many, I'm sure they've worked hard to get where they are and to each his own. I prefer a talent I have to seek out, or discover by accident, it makes it that little more personal.

Sorry, but no, most of them didn't - at least not nearly as much as they should have, but that's just my opinion. It does bother me that they're more successful, because they would never have made it back in the 60s/70s - no Autotune or other tricks to fake their abilities. The 80s ushered in that artificial electronic wave, that through videos (yes, MTV used to stand for Music Television, instead of Moronic TV) made those who had the right look capable of the success of those who are truly talented. That has always pissed me off, and ever shall do so. Having the right look is nothing new - Diana Ross is at best a so-so singer, but she had the physical appeal to lead the Supremes, despite the far superior voices of the backup singers. (This was dramatized in the movie "Dreamgirls" and even in "Singin' In The Rain")

Those I mentioned in the previous post, would probably have been more successful back in the 60s/70s, but music has been poisoned by dazzle, rather than natural gifts. It's pathetic. Black Eyed Peas used to be one of my faves, until they started worshiping at the altar of technology over real singing. It started with, ironically, their album, "The End" - it sure was the end of their best work. Don't get me wrong - my girl GaGa uses AT sometimes, but she doesn't depend on it - which BEP has begun to do, and Twitney has done all along. Madonnna's early years - you have to hear her squeaky, weak, craptacular voice for yourself to see what I mean, certainly didn't deserve her success at the time; she just knew how to shake her crotch at the camera, and sell the slutty look to the public. However I give her credit for getting singing lessons, and improving. She's been pretty desperately keeping herself in the news lately, which is unfortunate, but at least now she has the chops she should have had from the beginning. She's always been an expert at promotion, and is a very shrewd businesswoman. Don't get me started on Paula Abdul's vocals. EGAD. I like her dancing, however.

Like you, I do appreciate little-known acts, but the fact that they're little-known, is what I'm on about, dood.

Bitter?

Oh, a tad.

:mrgreen:

Natalie
http://www.wegrokspock.net/

"Wicked little doll, you have no soul"
Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Buck's Student on November 4th, 2012, 4:16 am

Fantastic album. :rockdude:
Bucky