"Love This Giant" impressions

Rock's Renaissance Man

"Love This Giant" impressions

Postby Wickeddoll on September 13th, 2012, 1:50 am

First, I'd like to comment on the "cover" of the CD - it's not a cover, but several sheets of inserts, while the CD sleeve is full of album credits. Quite cool, actually. If the preview art disturbed you, DB as a fetus will send you in orbit.

I really liked the pre-released single, (and first song) "Who", which made me more open to buying the CD.

Overall, I'd call the music the bastard child of "The Forest" and "Catherine" wheel. Lots of horns. (not a bad thing) And I'd say the vocals are much more "Feelings"-esque.

"Ice Age" and "Optimist" fell flat for me.

"Dinner For Two" is probably the most Byrne-ish cut, in my opinion, of course.

"Lazarus" reminds me of the bent waif vocals of Eleni Mandell, and has a quasi-Staple singers groove, with its call-and-response arrangement.

Contrary to what another member posted, I liked "Lightning" a lot. Reminded me of Kate Bush, Bjork, and the Puppini Sisters. (a new group that covered "Walk Like An Egyptian" among other quirky songs)

"One Who Broke Your Heart" for some strange reason, reminded me of "Nothing But Flowers" - maybe it's the arrangement?

"Outside Of Space And Time" evoked "Au Fond Du Temple" - I know a lot of you guys love that one, but I hated it, for the same reason I don't like this new song. I love DB's vocals to death, but not on ballads. I just don't see it as his thing. I guess growing up with Motown balladeers, just makes DB's vocals grate on that type of song.

I really, really liked this CD overall.

Well worth the money!

I also bought "How Music Works", but probably won't be able to read it until our next assignment. Hubby is U.S. Air Force, (I'm a veteran, that's how we met) and the possible new assignments are 1 base in Germany, (YEA!) but the other 3 are in my native Florida. Pray that I don't go there!

:mrgreen:

Natalie
http://www.wegrokspock.net/

"Wicked little doll, you have no soul"
Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Re: "Love This Giant" impressions

Postby Rick on September 13th, 2012, 3:18 am

I'm still digesting it but am glad to see you like this one Natalie. I would add that the horn arrangements also remind me of The Knee Plays.

Looking forward to hearing this music live. DB will be touring with horns for the first time since the "Monster In The Mirror" tour. It will be interesting to hear what he chooses for the rest of the playlist (Mr. Jones perhaps. or something from Rei Momo?) and what he does with them. Also curious to see if he does a cover of someone else like he usually does, i.e. "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Crazy in Love". (I think it would be cool if he did something from the Swing era.)
Rick
Ruby Dear

Postby Wickeddoll on September 13th, 2012, 3:35 am

Rick wrote:I'm still digesting it but am glad to see you like this one Natalie. I would add that the horn arrangements also remind me of The Knee Plays.

Looking forward to hearing this music live. DB will be touring with horns for the first time since the "Monster In The Mirror" tour. It will be interesting to hear what he chooses for the rest of the playlist (Mr. Jones perhaps. or something from Rei Momo?) and what he does with them. Also curious to see if he does a cover of someone else like he usually does, i.e. "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Crazy in Love". (I think it would be cool if he did something from the Swing era.)

Knee plays is more accurate! Thanks.

I've seen him once in concert, but would really love to see this tour; however, I'd have to drive to Los Angeles.

Hell, and might I add, no

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Rick on September 13th, 2012, 5:33 am

Isn't that only about a six hour drive? If it's L.A. that's the problem, you could always go to the show in San Diego (10/10) or Orange County (10/12).
Rick
Ruby Dear

Postby Oedepus on September 13th, 2012, 11:16 am

Bring back Miss America!!

I love the cd, ever since the first listen. The 2 tracks I mentioned, have yet to grow on me.
The live band sounds awesome, too bad he didn't include Mexico in his plans!
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Wickeddoll on September 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Rick, driving in any part of California is a horror. I'd drive to Phoenix, which is pretty much the same distance, but not to LA, SD (SD is much further south, BTW) or any other part of California. They drive like raped apes; California also has the highest car insurance rates - for good reason.

I hope it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby jd23 on September 16th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Bought and listened to the album this week and have to say I really enjoyed. I wasn't really looking forward to this album to be honest, but it surpassed my expectations. "I Am An Ape" & "The Forest Awakes" are two songs that haven't grown on me, however I think the rest of the album is top notch. "Who" "Dinner For Two" "Lightning" & "Outside Of Space And Time" are excellent tracks that immediately got a second playing.

Overall it reminded me of The Knee Plays meets Look into the Eyeball. Just hope his next album is his long awaited solo album. Also would love to see this tour come to Dublin, but that might be asking too much. Either way I do agree with Wickeddoll, a really pleasant album that's well worth the money. :D

James.
jd23
Ruby Dear

Postby Oedepus on September 17th, 2012, 12:49 am

Wickeddoll wrote:If the preview art disturbed you, DB as a fetus will send you in orbit.

There is no such picture inside.

Got my copy today, the packaging is quite original, it looks great alongside the rest of the discography.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Wickeddoll on September 17th, 2012, 2:48 am

Oedepus wrote:
Wickeddoll wrote:If the preview art disturbed you, DB as a fetus will send you in orbit.

There is no such picture inside.

Got my copy today, the packaging is quite original, it looks great alongside the rest of the discography.

Looks like a fetus to me.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Wickeddoll on September 18th, 2012, 11:31 pm

On further listening to "Lazarus" I find that it's not so much Staple Singers as Ray Charles, a la "Hit The Road Jack". That's why I love DB - there are so many layers.

:)

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby bigideas on September 25th, 2012, 8:18 pm

I wonder why this album doesn't seem to have wide distribution.
I'm pretty sure any St. Vincent or Byrne album on their own will be found in just about any remotely major music retailer. Love This Giant is not available at Best Buy - where I have to buy most music since I don't live in a major city with an indie record store.
I didn't even find it at Hasting's, though I did see the recent re-release of St Vincent's last album with bonus DVD. I put it off until I have to buy something else online off of Amazon.

Weird note - if you know the band, Animal Collective, I saw their new release displayed at both locations. I figured Love This Giant would at least get the distribution net of what Animal Collective gets.

On the flip side, in my vinyl hunting I have come across some new (for me) TH vinyl just in the last couple weeks. Someone who must have loved TH and Elvis Costello decided to unload their vinyl collection, so good for me:

My Life in The Bush...
Tom Tom Club
Catherine Wheel
click. click. see ya later.
bigideas
Ruby Dear

Postby Oedepus on September 26th, 2012, 11:04 am

Upon my 5th round of the record, I've come to appreciate Optimist, it's a great track. Still not feeling Lightning. I can't get enough of tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 11.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Wickeddoll on September 26th, 2012, 5:59 pm

bigideas wrote:I wonder why this album doesn't seem to have wide distribution.
I'm pretty sure any St. Vincent or Byrne album on their own will be found in just about any remotely major music retailer. Love This Giant is not available at Best Buy - where I have to buy most music since I don't live in a major city with an indie record store.
I didn't even find it at Hasting's, though I did see the recent re-release of St Vincent's last album with bonus DVD. I put it off until I have to buy something else online off of Amazon.

Can't you buy stuff online from Best Buy? They have a vinyl version, but it cost twice as much, and it's on back-order.

By the way, what is the appeal of LPs? I hated those things back in the day, though of course I have all of the TH ones in vinyl, tape, CD (even the remastered ones) and digital. I only bought all those because they were the latest formats at the time.

I'm glad to be rid of the hissing, popping, and crackling of vinyl.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby bigideas on September 26th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Wickeddoll wrote:Can't you buy stuff online from Best Buy? They have a vinyl version, but it cost twice as much, and it's on back-order.

By the way, what is the appeal of LPs? I hated those things back in the day, though of course I have all of the TH ones in vinyl, tape, CD (even the remastered ones) and digital. I only bought all those because they were the latest formats at the time.

I'm glad to be rid of the hissing, popping, and crackling of vinyl.

Natalie

Yes. Lately I have ordered there more because Amazon orders in Texas now have sales tax, and BB is offering Free Shipping a lot.

Hard to say. Some people love the "warmth" of the sound. Since it's a bigger format, the artwork is always bigger and easier to see. Maybe the size makes it more "personal" in a way? I started buying them in the early 2000's when a musician I liked made 7" only. That was the only way to hear it. The Vinyl + digital download wasn't popular back then like now. You could also find used vinyl cheap since people were getting rid of them. I'm most interested in vinyl if that was the original format it was released on (pre-CDs), or if it comes with some deluxe packaging, extra tracks, etc.. If a new release vinyl comes with a CD copy and there's not much price difference I would probably go that route, too.

I love vinyl, but I hate the players. I got one a couple years ago for Christmas with a USB output so I could record off vinyl if I wanted to. I don't know if I messed it up, or what, but it doesn't play right. My other big console stereo from the 80's was fantastic until one side of the stereo stopped playing. I could nudge it sometimes and then the full stereo would come in. And then vinyl degrades with every play, whereas a CD will perform the same every time unless you scratch it.

Someone scanned a catalog for a label from the mid-90's and they had 12" LPs for $8-$10 including shipping. 7" for $5 including shipping. I know there's been inflation, but CDs went down in price. Why is vinyl more now? Because it can be? More demand?
click. click. see ya later.
bigideas
Ruby Dear

Postby Wickeddoll on September 26th, 2012, 8:25 pm

bigideas wrote:
Wickeddoll wrote:Someone scanned a catalog for a label from the mid-90's and they had 12" LPs for $8-$10 including shipping. 7" for $5 including shipping. I know there's been inflation, but CDs went down in price. Why is vinyl more now? Because it can be? More demand?

I suppose it's just one more thing from their parents' past that kids want to claim as their own. You should hear my (grown up - but not adult) kids freaking out, when they hear me playing the original songs from which rappers/pop stars steal their "new" sound.

For instance, TH's "Sugar On My Tongue" was ripped off by a rapper. "Memories Can't Wait" was covered by the rock group Living Colour, "Voyage To Atlantis", by the Isley Brothers was "sampled" by a rapper, and Missy Elliot's nonsense riff in "Gossip Folks" is from a 70s one-hit wonder song, "Double Dutch Bus".

DB is one of the few innovative performers left, I swear.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby timsandle on October 7th, 2012, 1:14 am

Wickeddoll wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Wickeddoll wrote:Someone scanned a catalog for a label from the mid-90's and they had 12" LPs for $8-$10 including shipping. 7" for $5 including shipping. I know there's been inflation, but CDs went down in price. Why is vinyl more now? Because it can be? More demand?

I suppose it's just one more thing from their parents' past that kids want to claim as their own. You should hear my (grown up - but not adult) kids freaking out, when they hear me playing the original songs from which rappers/pop stars steal their "new" sound.

For instance, TH's "Sugar On My Tongue" was ripped off by a rapper. "Memories Can't Wait" was covered by the rock group Living Colour, "Voyage To Atlantis", by the Isley Brothers was "sampled" by a rapper, and Missy Elliot's nonsense riff in "Gossip Folks" is from a 70s one-hit wonder song, "Double Dutch Bus".

DB is one of the few innovative performers left, I swear.

Natalie

'Love This Giant' is David Byrne's highest charting "solo" (non-Talking Heads album) in the U.S, reaching #23 in the Billboard charts and his second highest in the U.K., reaching #40 ("My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" reached #29 in the UK back in 1981).
timsandle
Little Creature

Postby Oedepus on October 10th, 2012, 11:20 am

It feels strange to see David everywhere lately, I read an interview with him on spin, and at the same store, I bought the Filter issue with the cover story. Back when I became a Byrne fan, I never experienced buying a magazine with him on it, or looking at everyone discuss his music. The spin article was sloppy at best, it recommended new listeners Rei Momo and Bush as seminal works, which is true, but then they recommended compilations and caetano collaborations instead of the real gems like Byrne '94. They also described his office, and I was like Ha! I've seen those things they talk about. The response at facebook is also huge. I'm glad the album has been so well received, very happy for David. But this bothered me a bit when it started, where were all these fans when things were quiet, or even during the last few releases? it's something new for me to see a rabid response to David, it's cool that he's getting aknowledged for solo stuff.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Wickeddoll on October 12th, 2012, 11:55 pm

PREACH it, Oedepus! This also gives me ammunition to show my husband that I'm certainly not weird for loving his work! He'll probably just say, "So there are more weirdos out there; so what?"

The only music preferences of mine he really hates, are hip-hop (not rap - there really is a difference) and country, but he disses DB, because he knows I love the guy.

One time, he was enjoying "Memories Can't Wait" being covered by the rock/funk fusion group, "Living Colour" (yes, a band, not the TV show) - he suddenly "disliked" it, when I told him it was a DB/TH song. (not really, he was just messing with me)

:P

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby jd23 on October 16th, 2012, 7:53 pm

"But this bothered me a bit when it started, where were all these fans when things were quiet, or even during the last few releases? it's something new for me to see a rabid response to David, it's cool that he's getting aknowledged for solo stuff."

My educated guess would be that alot of these fans are only new to Talking Heads'/Byrne's work. I can only speak for Dublin(although I've seen it in New York also) that there seems to be an emergence of hipster types of similar age to mine, around the city who have an apparent interest in art and fashion and who are seeking out "retro" artists, Talking Heads(Byrne) being one of them. I noticed in the last year or two he has become increasingly popular more so than when I first started listening (Not too long before that). I'm kind of glad in a way because it gives me more than one person to discuss his music with and it also as you've pointed out means we'll be seeing more of him hopefully.

Anyway it's been a few weeks and I'm still enjoying the album as much as when I first listened to it. As well, a friend of mine who isn't interested in David's other work says this is one of his favourite albums of the year, a testament to the craft that's gone into it I think.
jd23
Ruby Dear

Postby Wickeddoll on October 16th, 2012, 10:01 pm

JD, you speak as though this is the only success DB has experienced, when you and I know that's not true. That said, I raised my now-twenty-somethings to appreciate DB/TH from infancy, (I have wav files of them singing TH songs) and they've generated at least a few new fans that way. But let's face it - TH/DB is an acquired taste. The first time I heard/saw the "Once In A Lifetime" video, I was like, "Dafuq is this?!"

If we can just get people to realize that the Autotune whores are no more talented than the average person, they'd more fully embrace people like DB. But the fact has always been that the public at large will gobble up the brainless, artless, studio-created hacks like Twitney Spears and Madonna. Lady GaGa is the exception to the usual pop tart. She has been playing instruments since age 4, had formal musical training all her life, and never lip-synchs her concerts - yes, I do like her work. Yeah, yeah, people say GaGa emulates Madonna, despite being actually talented. Well, outrageous outfits, concert/show weirdness, etc. is nothing new. It goes back to Elton John, David Bowie, Liberace, and even Florenz Ziegfield, in the 1930s.

It kills me that brilliantly talented performers like Eleni Mandell, Lucinda Williams, Tracy Chapman, Beck, Cee-Lo, (yes, he's a TV star, but deserves way more recognition musically) Bonnie Raitt, Mary J. Blige, (she should be more than just an R&B star) the late Michael Been, Cree Summer, and of course, our boy, toil away in the shadows of far lesser "artists".

Dunno about other countries, but the U.S. is artistically moronic.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Next

Return to DAVID BYRNE