Aspiemom wrote:You’ve listened to a lot more than I have, but I’d add these to your list.
Florence + the Machine- Ceremonials Even more Florencey than her debut album.
Video Games- Lana del Rey Just an EP with 2 songs and some remixes, but she’s got a sound. Can’t wait for the rest of the album.
Radiohead- The King of Limbs
The Book of Mormon soundtrack- Hahahahahahahaha!
Amy Winehouse- Lioness: Hidden Treasures. About half the tracks are awesome. Some people say that as a criticism, but I think that’s pretty good considering she’s dead.
Gods & Monsters- The Ordeal of Civility- If you were an English major who likes to feel smart while rocking out, have I got an album for you!
Cage the Elephant- Thank you Happy Birthday- This band has a big 70’s thing going on, and they cover Psycho Killer.
Bjork- Biophilia- There’s an ap for that!
I’d put Feist’s album higher on the list. Jon Parales (who dissed DB, it’s true) put it first on his list, with the great Paul Simon second. Right with you on the Coldplay release, except that Paradise song drives me batty (battier).
Nice choices! I still have to listen to the Björk album. I like her a lot, but I read that Biophilia isn't as good as her other albums. But I'll give it a listen this week. I liked the way you described the Gods & Monsters album, I'll give it a try too. And I have to agree with you on Lana del Rey, she is quite amazing, I'm really looking forward to her debut album, she has a beautiful powerful voice. "Video Games" is one of my favourite singles of the year, which gives me the idea, (not that I've listened to everything that came out but...)
here are my 50 favourite songs of the year! (I'm supposed to be working now, but I'm really bored!)
(max 4 songs per artist)
50. Lucinda Williams - Buttercup
49. R.E.M. - We All Go Back to Where We Belong
48. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Heart In Your Heartbreak
47. The Dears - Omega Dog
46. Leonard Cohen - Show Me the Place
45. Jay-Z, Kanye West & Frank Ocean - No Church In the Wild
44. Broken Bells – Meyrin Fields
43. Wilco - Art of Almost
42. Cold War Kids - Mine Is Yours
41. Gavin DeGraw - Soldier
40. The Cars - Blue Tip
39. St. Vincent - Cruel
38. James Blake – The Wilhelm Scream
37. Arcade Fire & David Byrne - Speaking In Tongues
36. Fleet Foxes - The Shrine / An Argument
35. Paul Simon - Getting Ready for Christmas Day
34. TV on the Radio - Second Song
33. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
32. Jay-Z & Kanye West - New Day
31. Gavin DeGraw - Run Every Time
30. The Dears - Blood
29. Bon Iver - Wash
28. Juliana Hatfield - There's Always Another Girl
27. James Blake - Once We All Agree
26. Feist - How Come You Never Go There
25. Paul Simon - The Afterlife
24. Gavin DeGraw - Candy
23. The Cars - Soon
22. Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris - We Found Love
21. R.E.M. - Discoverer
20. Adele - Someone Like You
19. The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
18. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Heaven's Gonna Happen Now
17. Beyoncé - 1+1
16. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Everybody's on the Run
15. Foo Fighters - Rope
14. Beyoncé - Countdown
13. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
12. Foo Fighters - These Days
11. Kate Bush - Wild Man
10. Bon Iver - Beth/Rest
9. Foo Fighters - Walk
8. Fleet Foxes - The Plains / Bitter Dancer
7. The Decemberists - Don't Carry It All
6. R.E.M. - Überlin
5. Foo Fighters - Arlandria
4. Bon Iver - Holocene
3. Lana del Rey - Video Games
2. M83 - Midnight City
1. Bon Iver - Calgary