Ride Rise Roar DVD

Rock's Renaissance Man

Ride Rise Roar DVD

Postby wupot on June 3rd, 2011, 12:57 am

Anybody get this yet? What are the reviews? I haven't seen it yet and was wondering if its worth it.
wupot
Bob / Judy

Re: Ride Rise Roar DVD

Postby Aspiemom on June 3rd, 2011, 4:33 am

I just watched it, and I was really distracted by Buglet dancing in the crowd! :breakdance:

It's mostly TH songs, but I did not notice the songs being shortened. "The River" and "Home" get instrumental treatment only. It would have been nice to have those songs and others that were performed on tour as DVD extras. The director used a lot of cameras and made a lot of cuts ( moving from one view to another, not editing songs). Some songs cut between rehearsal and performance images, but it was interesting to see the show evolve.

It's great to have is record of the tour, and interesting to hear the artists explain what they are trying to communicate. It made me feel happy to watch it. :breakdance: You should get it!

(And if you ride a bike, you should wear your helmet every time.)
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on June 3rd, 2011, 8:33 pm

Here's the track listing:

1. Once in a Lifetime (performance during opening credits)

2. Life Is Long

3. I Zimbra

4. Road To Nowhere

5. One Fine Day

6. The Great Curve

7. My Big Nurse

8. Burning Down The House

9. Houses In Motion

10. Air

11. Life During Wartime

12. Heaven

13. I Feel My Stuff

14. Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

My personal favorite performances are "Air" where the dancers have guitar props, "One Fine Day" good vocal, "The Great Curve" where we finally get to see what it looks like for the world to move on a woman's hips, and, weirdly for me, "Burning Down the House" with the tutus. The tutu-choreography is hilarious. It's interesting to hear the choreographers try to explain the music and what they're doing with the dancing. Kind of a "tell" then "show" documentary.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on June 3rd, 2011, 9:42 pm

Phew, I'm glad the songs are not cut short, one of the reasons I want my copy to arrive already is so I can make my mp3 version to enjoy it as a concert.
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby iRene on June 3rd, 2011, 10:29 pm

I would have liked the interviews to be extras, I think they distract from the show. It's still good though.
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby francey on June 4th, 2011, 9:55 am

Watched the blu ray last night... very nice HD-quality image and the soundmix of the live recordings is amazing in HD-DTS. The interviews are very distracting - who wants to hear this babbling more than once? I missed the busdrivers opinion on how the show was put together.

Not sure how it is on DVD, but on the BR you can't skip to the next song... most chapters consist of an interview (first) and then a song. And fast-forwarding on BR doesn't go very fast...

Enough has been said about the camerapoints and editing; imho a concert movie needs to be seen from the audience pov, not from the side, the drummers left shoulder or from somewhere mid stage. Especially if you want to show the entire stage and the dancing, which is choreographed for being watched from an audience pov.

I'd rather seen a concert registration, with at least the songs in the right order, and the interviews tucked away as extra's. And a bonus disk for the story of the busdriver.

For the statistics:
"The songs of David Byrne and Bryan Eno"-tour resulted in a DVD where 9 out of 14 tracks are Talking Heads songs, of which 2 Brian Eno had nothing to do with.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Oedepus on June 4th, 2011, 1:25 pm

francey wrote:For the statistics:
"The songs of David Byrne and Bryan Eno"-tour resulted in a DVD where 9 out of 14 tracks are Talking Heads songs, of which 2 Brian Eno had nothing to do with.

Why were those 2 included in the tour?
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on June 4th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Oedepus wrote:
francey wrote:For the statistics:

Why were those 2 included in the tour?

Because they're "Burning Down the House" and "Road to Nowhere". Gotta play the hits.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Cicconeboy on June 5th, 2011, 3:56 am

The Blu Ray is fantastic picture and audio. As for the content, I do like it and I am interested in the behind the scenes stuff, but I feel after watching it that for the actual limited amount of footage used I would have preferred it grouped together as a bonus feature and have the main feature be the entire concert.

That being said, it's still a great buy (well compared to nothing, it's amazing) and thoroughly enjoyable.
Cicconeboy
Little Creature

Postby AdamOz on June 8th, 2011, 11:37 am

My blu-ray copy arrived today and I've watched up to seeing DB in his home studio (which is great to see by the way) which is just after a mediocre performance of Road to Nowhere. First impressions are as follows:

The take of 'Life is Long' is below par in my book, DB's vocal is pretty flat: surely they could have got a better take, but I suppose they weren't filming every show to pick and choose from. I certainly don't remember seeing any film cameras at the Melbourne, Australia show I saw. Dave is sitting down in a chair so probably not the best for a good vocal take.

The HD picture quality is great, but not sure it's necessarily good to see hot and sweaty, sticky shirts, and beads of sweat in HD- but there you go.

It's very much a focus on the dancing and the choreography aspect, which is the intent- but certainly not your average concert film- but it's Dave, he rocks.
AdamOz
Ruby Dear

Postby Mr.DRC on June 8th, 2011, 12:42 pm

AdamOz wrote:The HD picture quality is great, but not sure it's necessarily good to see hot and sweaty, sticky shirts, and beads of sweat in HD- but there you go.

oh dear! I'm gonna have to buy the blu-ray to watch my Oh Dear! in there you go

And boy will I ;)

(Welcome back,shh! you know who)
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby mscott on June 8th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Feel my stuff clip and interview on pitchfork (clip at bottom of page)
http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7986-david-byrne/

mick
mscott
Radio Head

Postby Wickeddoll on June 8th, 2011, 11:23 pm

You guys had better be telling the truth - just ordered this on BD.

Natalie
http://www.wegrokspock.net/

"Wicked little doll, you have no soul"
Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on June 9th, 2011, 4:14 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it, and I must say I take back my previous idea, I would not replace Road To Nowhere!! what an awesome version, the best one for me so far.

So I guess rather than replacements, I would have made it longer to squeeze in 3 more songs.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Wickeddoll on June 9th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Funny, first time I heard RTN, I hated it with a fiery passion, but now I love it. Especially the video.

"Mr. Jones" "Creatures Of Love" "My Big Nurse" (not because of the title - it's the arrangement, vocals) and "Naive Melody" still make me hork, however.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on June 9th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Wickeddoll wrote:Funny, first time I heard RTN, I hated it with a fiery passion, but now I love it. Especially the video.

"Mr. Jones" "Creatures Of Love" "My Big Nurse" (not because of the title - it's the arrangement, vocals) and "Naive Melody" still make me hork, however.

Natalie

"Naive Melody" makes you hork? Why, praytell?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Wickeddoll on June 9th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Aspiemom wrote:"Naive Melody" makes you hork? Why, praytell?

It's bland, doesn't have a compelling hook or subject matter for me. *shrug*

"Neighborhood" is much the same, but it least it has a philly soul arrangement.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby jd23 on June 10th, 2011, 5:44 am

Have you heard the live Zagreb version of Creatures of Love? I think stripping the song down made it a lot better.
jd23
Ruby Dear

Postby Wickeddoll on June 10th, 2011, 5:49 am

jd23 wrote:Have you heard the live Zagreb version of Creatures of Love? I think stripping the song down made it a lot better.

No, I haven't, but I'd like to hear it.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby jd23 on June 10th, 2011, 5:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT0_iATtGL0

:D Starting to get off topic. I was quite dissapointed that RRR didn't have any special features, I mean come on! I would have been nice to see Byrne performing Help Me Somebody. Or a commentary track or something... Now we're back on.
jd23
Ruby Dear

Next

Return to DAVID BYRNE