Rauschenberg's "Tongues"

The band and their music

Rauschenberg's "Tongues"

Postby Rick on September 4th, 2010, 3:54 pm

I need some advice about the Rauschenberg edition of "Speaking in Tongues". If you haven't seen it, it is a transparent disk in a transparent cover with two transparent overlays. The overlays have the same collage printed on them in different colors which change depending on how everything is lined up. It's very cool. I have a sealed copy of it that I would like to display as an art piece. I got the idea from a museum near where I live which has one of his works that is very similar in concept to the album and is shown with a light behind it revealing the different colors in the piece, and I would like to do something similar. Unfortunately, the shrink-wrap has yellowed somewhat and has some tears in it detracting from the look of the thing.

My question is, will the market value of this rarity drop considerably by removing the shrink wrap, or might creating a light box for it add value? I really have no intention of selling it, but you never know. One seller on E-Bay is asking US$2000.00 for it.

Here's an example of what it looks like:
Rick
Ruby Dear

Re: Rauschenberg's "Tongues"

Postby francey on September 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm

There were 50,000 copies pressed for Europe alone - don't know how much the run for the US was. You can usually find it on eBay for $40-$50, shrinkwrapped ones up to $100. Asking $ 2,000 (whoohaha) is not the same as selling for $ 2,000 ;-).

It makes a nice piece of art, I'd say, go for it and don't worry fortune seekers on eBay...
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Rick on September 7th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Thanks Francey. That's some good information. I may just look for an open copy and display that one.
Rick
Ruby Dear

Postby Buglet on September 7th, 2010, 7:16 pm

The vinyl yellows very easily, and I think the sealed ones are slightly better protected (although I have a sealed one where there is a very slight brown rim). That one in your picture is a wreck! :o
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Rick on September 7th, 2010, 10:52 pm

I was wondering about that, buglet. I thought maybe that's the way it was pressed but based on your post, it must be discolored from aging of some sort. There is none of this on my pressing. I guess I'll leave it sealed.
Rick
Ruby Dear

Return to TALKING HEADS