Sugar on my Tongue

What songs, albums, videos, outfits etc do you like best? and why?

Sugar on my Tongue

Postby finnikko on September 12th, 2008, 1:11 am

Forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but I have to ask: why was this song held back for so long?
Again, I know for a lot of you die-hards, Popular Favorites wasn't the first time you heard this bona fide gem, but for me it was a revelation.
I mean that it showed me that this band had more in their bag than just Psycho Killer. Not to say that there weren't other great moments on that album, but Sugar on my Tongue was, for me, the great single that wasn't.
Tight, punchy, funny and weird, this song had everything I wanted from them at that moment in time.
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.
finnikko
Mojique

Re: Sugar on my Tongue

Postby Mr.DRC on September 12th, 2008, 2:53 pm

"I wonder if it had anything to do with the subject matter? I assume its not necessarilly about popping-around for a spoonful (as Ms.Poppins once said-the tease)? There again..."
Oscar WILDWILDLIFE

Oscar is clearly bashful.Think Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton via Princey-poo.She/He were not referring to
The Gingerbread House from Hansel and Gretel :shock:

Don
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Camden Furse on September 14th, 2008, 8:47 am

Held back for fear of a shitty hip-hop artist doing a cover of it?

Sadly, the fears were not unfounded...
"Hello, we're murderers...er, Twix, please.
Camden Furse
Mojique

Postby Enneque on September 14th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Hi, all...

I've been a TH fan for about 20 years, and this is my first post on the site (new or old).

I have to say my favorite pre-RiL tune has to be "Air." It has that combo of sweetness and weirdness that only TH could come up/get away with.

Post RiL? Probably right up close again, the live version of "Making Flippy Floppy" off of SMS. Nothing like having eight or nine people in lock-step under a groove.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
Enneque
Little Creature

Postby reno on September 17th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I really like this song. There a few non '77 songs that are really REALLY great songs such as I Wish You Wouldn't Do That and my favourite of that era, 'I Feel It In My Heart'.
reno
Television man

Postby Ruben on September 21st, 2008, 6:38 pm

I agree Rich, "I Feel it in My Heart" is just incredible, it's my favourite "rare" track from that era as well.
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby kosan on October 7th, 2008, 9:57 pm

I don't know why I never thought to look for a website about my favourite band of all time, but better later than never.

I still think "The Big Country" is their best song, in fact still one of the finest songs I have ever heard anywhere. Sends shivers up my spine evertime i hear it. Was it Tina Weymouth who said David Byrne's greatest strength was to lift the banal up to the level of the sublime? That song must be the best example.

Shane
kosan
Little Creature

Postby finnikko on November 24th, 2008, 3:45 am

kosan,

Given the right equipment - good turntable, receiver and speakers, "The Big Country" has the same effect on me.
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.
finnikko
Mojique

Return to POPULAR FAVORITES