Classic extremely high quality gig SF 1978!

Live show sharing - only links to non-officially released material allowed!

Classic extremely high quality gig SF 1978!

Postby Stranger on February 26th, 2009, 2:25 am

Got this off Dime, listening....David Byrne's vocal is very clear, and on the first track, The Big Country, dare I say it, largely beautiful

Highly recommended!

"Talking Heads - 9 16 78 - Pre-FM KSAN reels - easily my favorite TH recording! -offending track removed!

This show gets an A+ all around - Great recording, fantastic show, and high energy from Byrne. TH '77 and More Songs About Buildings and Food are my favorite albums, and this is a show that puts some of the best songs from both on display!

The entire show is good, but the portion of the show from Electricity through No Compassion is HOT HOT HOT!!!!

If you don't have this - GET IT!

Tyler

Talking Heads Boarding House San Francisco Ca. 1978-9-16
KSAN reels 633A, 633B, 633C

Reel plybck: Revox A-77(15ips)> Panasoic SV-250 DAT(internal A/D)
Plyback Panasonic 3800>Apple G4 (Peak editing, sample rate conversion)>
Xact prep>upload from files

reel #1
01. Big Country
02. Warning Sign
03. The Book I Read
04. Stay Hungry
05. Artists Only
06. Girls WTBWT Girls

reel #2
07. The Good Thing
08. Love > Buildings On Fire
09. Electricity (Drugs)
10. FOUND A JOB
11. NEW FEELING/PULLED UP
12. Psycho Killer

reel #3
Encores:
13. Take Me To the River
14. I'm Not In Love (removed)
2nd Encore
15. No Compassion

Current track listing is correct"

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=158934

Wow, may not sound much in print, the piano and organ on the Book I Read sounds amazing! no wonder the uploader likes this recording so much!
Stranger
Ruby Dear

Re: Classic extremely high quality gig SF 1978!

Postby francey on February 26th, 2009, 9:29 am

Great show indeed - it has been around in the tapes- and later CD trading circuit for many many years. I'm intruigued by the "offending track removed" part in the description - what makes "I'm not in Love" an offending track...?!
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Re: Classic extremely high quality gig SF 1978!

Postby Stranger on February 26th, 2009, 10:58 am

Dime policy.

They are *very* strict.

And need to be, to be fair...they are probably the biggest and most popular download site.

On the one hand they need to pacify audiophiles and pedants with incredible attention to detail on venue details, file labelling, non lossy formats.

On the other, they need to be careful they don't offend the artists and record companies.

The above extends to removing *any* track that has been officially released *ever*, even years ago.

I'm Not in Love was on the reissue of TNOTBITH.

Oddly listening last night in headphones, for me the latter part of the gig tailed off in terms of quality and passion, but that's just me maybe...the first 9 tracks at the very least are ESSENTIAL.

I also found listening to Hempstead '78 (I'll place a link at some point) sounded much better in headphones...it sounded dull on my pc speakers, but came alive much more thru my Sennheisers :).
Stranger
Ruby Dear

Return to HI, I GOT A TAPE I WANNA PLAY