David Byrne Live at the Hollywood Bowl Bootleg

Live show sharing - only links to non-officially released material allowed!

David Byrne Live at the Hollywood Bowl Bootleg

Postby Ruben on September 7th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Hey everybody,
Here's something I uploaded to Megaupload a long time ago and posted on the old board. It's an excellent David Byrne bootleg live at the Hollywood Bowl, back in 2005 I think. I remember a kind person from the board sent me this bootleg, and then I improved the sound of it a little bit so it's kinda different to the one that's out there. Not perfect, but very enjoyable, and the songs played are great.
For those of you who were surprised that DB played a Whitney Houston cover on some shows during the 2001-2005 tours, here he plays a BEYONCE cover!!, "Crazy for Love"!, it's crazy for sure.
"Psychedelic Afternoon" is great, one of my favourites on this bootleg. I think it's a Ryuichi Sakamoto cover, but not sure.
Here's the tracklisting:
1. Intro
2. The Great Intoxication
3. Glass, Concrete & Stone
4. I Zimbra
5. The Heart's a Lonely Hunter
6. Finite=Alright
7. Sad Song
8. Like Humans Do
9. Road to Nowhere
10. Psychedelic Afternoon
11. Psycho Killer
12. This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
13. What a Day That Was
14. San Francisco Marching Band Introduction
15. Don't Fence Me In
16. Burning Down the House
17. Crazy in Love

And finally here's the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=DPYGDWCZ

Enjoy! :D If anybody wants me to upload it to Rapidshare too (could be easier to download, sometimes Megaupload gets stupid), let me know and I'll do it right away. See ya!
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Re: David Byrne Live at the Hollywood Bowl Bootleg

Postby nic1233 on September 13th, 2008, 4:56 pm

Thanks
nic1233
Mojique

Postby ph4t3Xp4t on September 18th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Hi !

Thanks! This looks very nice. I can't grab it tonight, but I'll come back for it over the weekend.

As a fairly serious audiophile, I am searching for highest quality materials, especially lossless copies of original recordings.

May I ask that folks please state the file format, compression ratio and lineage when offering up shows & such ..? I'm not really a nazi about what the format is .. I just would like to know before spending my time & bandwidth. I am a fan of making an informed choice in such matters.

Thanks!

-- t3h 3Xp4t
ph4t3Xp4t
Mojique

Postby ph4t3Xp4t on September 19th, 2008, 9:11 am

To answer my own questions:

Files are in *.mp3 format, 128 K bitrate/ 44100 Hz. Download is about 70 MB and decompresses to about 72 MB.

The sound is fairly clean and has a surprising amount of dynamic range, given the highly compressed lossy format. I would guess that the original source was probably a pre-FM reel, or perhaps an FM broadcast (seems unlikely as there doesn't seem to be any radio broadcast artifacts). I don't think it's a soundboard source ... although, it could be possible given that it's been edited. The audience is somewhat prominent in some places, so SBD seems even more unlikely.

Would you mind telling what sort sort of editing was done to the original file(s)? And, what were the original format & compression ratio's ..?

I'm really enjoying the show right now, so don't take me wrong if I offer up a an honest evaluation.

The range is clearly clipped, with the sound getting quite muddy in sections. There are noticeable 'wooshing' artifacts in many places. Quite a bit of clarity is gone.

Given all that, no hiss, low audience noise (pretty clearly not an audience tape .. unless it was recorded under unusual circumstances from a premium location).

Thank You Very MUCH!

I will, however, be extremely interested if anyone can help locate a lossless copy of this original source. The original should be a REALLY amazing bootleg; it could clearly rival bootlegs in the top 1% or 2% of the best of all bootlegs available.

Knowing more about the show (such as its date) would help a lot in trying to track this one down.

-- t3h 3Xp4t
ph4t3Xp4t
Mojique

Postby qubism on September 21st, 2008, 3:08 pm

26th May 2005, I believe. Ruben, I have about 2 versions of this already, is your tweaking very recent or is it the one you put up on the old board?

Cheers and Thanks Ruben,

Richard Shepherd
qubism
Mojique

Postby Ruben on September 21st, 2008, 4:59 pm

qubism wrote:26th May 2005, I believe. Ruben, I have about 2 versions of this already, is your tweaking very recent or is it the one you put up on the old board?

Cheers and Thanks Ruben,

Richard Shepherd

Hey Richard,
Well, this is in fact the same bootleg I posted on the old board, I don't remember ever uploading the original one.

ph4t3Xp4t wrote:Would you mind telling what sort sort of editing was done to the original file(s)? And, what were the original format & compression ratio's ..? -- t3h 3Xp4t

Hi there!, I did the editing using Goldwave, but to be honest with you I don't exactly remember what sort of editing I did to the original files, it was a long long time ago. The original format of the files were MP3's as well (128 K bitrate), I don't think I ever had FLAC or WAV files of it but they might be somewhere, I will see if I can track them down for you. I'm not sure if I still have the original un-edited bootleg in MP3, I'll look for it. I have no idea who recorded it, and I don't even remember who sent it to me in the first place... I'm still trying to remember. Sorry that I remember so little about it!

ph4t3Xp4t wrote:Thank You Very MUCH!

You're welcome! By the way, you know a lot about audio editing & formats! That's really great.
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby ph4t3Xp4t on September 21st, 2008, 9:08 pm

Howdy and Hail & well-met!

Thanks for the response & the feedback.

All I really care about is that whatever information someone might have .. PLEASE share it.

As I posted elsewhere, I'm an admitted quality snob, so to speak. But, I am quite pragmatic in understanding that not everyone cares &/or has time for such things; it's my hobby, not necessarily 'yours.'

My business is arts, artisans & artworks .. audio being one format. So, I have some pretty good tech knowledge, and I am still learning a lot. One of my day jobs is being an IT/Web/Internet consultant. I understand web development, computers & servers better than audio at this point ... but I've got a good tech base to begin from. Been an audiophile since I was about 13, so that's about 30 years of being involved at the advanced & semi-pro level.

I respect the trading community immensely; I've been a part of it since about 1980 (cassette tapes) and much more recently getting my feet wet in the digital, on-line community.

I appreciate all info available from anyone able & willing to contribute. So, I am seeking the highest, original quality available, but please don't take it wrong if studio quality *.flacs aren't available. I will mourn, but not accuse.

The requests for more info are so that I don't duplicate or contaminate other efforts.

Also, I give it all back, no strings attached. If I got it free, I make it available for free.

Busy night folks, so don't have time for a longer visit. But, this wonderful space is bookmarked & I'll be lurking & posting as time permits. I back-tracked to the 'old' forum & now understand this is not a new community, but a well-established one on the process of migration.

So. I'll do my best to respect that. You, all of 'you,' have a lot to teach me.

Thank you, one and all.

And, again: This show may not reach the highest audiophile standards, but it is very enjoyable and I am in no hurry at all to delete it .. until 'something better' comes to hand.

:waycool:

Thank you,

-- t3h 3Xp4t
ph4t3Xp4t
Mojique

Postby jadelung on March 25th, 2009, 4:23 am

jadelung
Little Creature

Return to HI, I GOT A TAPE I WANNA PLAY