The Red And The Black

The producer formerly known as a Modern Lover

The Red And The Black

Postby remaininlight on June 17th, 2009, 5:04 pm

I'M IN HEAVEN! :jumpyjumpy:

A few months ago, I had to buy a new receiver, and decided not to spring for one that had a plug-in for my turntable. I figured I'd just get on CD the absolutely essential of my 1,000+ vinyl collection. I hadn't listened to The Red And the Black for awhile, so of course as soon as I couldn't, I started jonesin' big time. So I checked Amazon, and the CDs are going for $90-$200! I'm also new to the computer world in general, and the Mac world in particular...so it took me a little while to figure out to check iTunes. Woo hoo! The Red and The Black for $5.99! Buy it! Download! Listen! I'm having a hard to sitting still while it plays to type this. I'M IN HEAVEN! When I first got this album in 1981, I typed out pieces of the lyrics and taped them up all around the house. I was fanatic about it. Listening 28 years later, I can still see why. :P

I remember (it must have been about 1980) reading an interview with DB while waiting to get my hair cut, in which he said that Jerry was Talking Heads. Jerry contributed the sound. If you listen to Jerry's solo work (especially TRATB), and compare it to DB's solo work, you can hear right away what DB was saying.
remaininlight
Mojique

Re: The Red And The Black

Postby Ruben on June 17th, 2009, 7:53 pm

I completely get what you mean. I personally think that "The Red and the Black" is even better than anything TH recorded after 1980.
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby remaininlight on June 18th, 2009, 3:53 am

Ruben wrote: I personally think that "The Red and the Black" is even better than anything TH recorded after 1980.

Complete agreement. I love the directness, the intelligence, the reflectiveness of his lyrics...paired WITH the phenomenal music. Sometimes TH had one but not the other.

Another project I can listen to over and over is The Heads...Jerry, Tina, and Chris playing/collaborating with a collection of singer/songwriters. Love the Johnette Napolitano track (Concrete Blonde is a fave of mine), and the Richard Hell track, Never Mind, cracks me up. They're ALL good, and turned me on to a bunch of great musicians. Maria McKee's No Big Bang is great...I just saw a video of her song Breathe, very cool.

"Face the chair/ the firing squad. Without the heat/ to bring your fear/ you'll never know/
WHAT YOU CAN DO!"
remaininlight
Mojique

Postby fredd2332 on June 23rd, 2009, 5:52 pm

I wish Jerry would record again. I love all three of his albums.
fredd2332
Ruby Dear

Return to JERRY HARRISON