David Byrne - San Francisco Night 1 Set List

Rock's Renaissance Man

David Byrne - San Francisco Night 1 Set List

Postby remaininlite on October 8th, 2008, 4:35 am

I haven't seen DB since his 2005 Summer Tour and I was glad to see him again. The Davies Hall is an amazing venue, and I don't think it's ever seen a show quite like the one David brought to it Monday night. The new songs are incredible live. The back up singers rock and the dancers are an innovative touch. David is a good sport to entertain us in such a way. I know most of the setlists are, and will be similar, but just to complete the collection, here's the way the show went:

Strange Overtones
I Zimbra
One Fine Day
Help Me Somebody
Houses in Motion
My Big Nurse
My Big Hands (Fall Through the Cracks)
Heaven
(new song; something along the line of "Thoughts")
The River
Crosseyed and Painless
Life is Long
Once in a Lifetime
Life During the Wartime
I Feel My Stuff

encore:
Take Me to the River
The Great Curve
(introduction of and performance by Extra Action Marching Band!!!)
Burning Down the House (with Extra Action Marching Band)

The show was insane, especially the final 2 songs. EAMB was a wonderful surprise, definitely livening up this symphony hall. One security guard became quite agitated by the scantily-clad, male cheerleader. Standouts, besides the 2 aforementioned songs, for me were I Zimbra, Houses in Motion, Life is Long, Crosseyed and Painless and I Feel My Stuff. Very brave of David to close the main set with a non-Talking Heads song, and it totally worked. I loved it. Applause and standing o's ran rampant all night. Still not as good as his performance in Berkeley back in '04, but this will for sure top my list for 2008. Thank you, David.
remaininlite
Little Creature

Re: David Byrne - San Francisco Night 1 Set List

Postby sittingduck on October 8th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I was also fortunate enough to make it to the 1st night in SF. Incredible, loved every song. Highlights were Houses In Motion and Life During Wartime. I was surpised to hear Burning Down the House, as Brian Eno wasn't involved with it, but it worked really well with the marching band. The marching band was good, but extremely eerie at the same time. I was able to get right up to the stage. It was an unbelievable experience, being 3 feet from David Byrne himself.
Say something once, why say it again?
sittingduck
Ruby Dear

Return to DAVID BYRNE