Bikes in Des Moines

Rock's Renaissance Man

Bikes in Des Moines

Postby Aspiemom on June 16th, 2011, 3:36 am

Here’s an example of what it’s like to live in the American Midwest. You hear about something cool like bikes you can rent by the hour with a credit card, and then you kind of forget about it. Months or years later- voila. Here they are in Des Moines, Iowa. I hear DB is taking his bike tour to South America next.

BTW, Des Moines has scary-looking buildings holding scarier corporations, but some of them help pay for the bikes. “To live is to collaborate”- Burroughs

There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: Bikes in Des Moines

Postby Oedepus on June 16th, 2011, 5:02 am

He's coming to Mexico!!!!!!!
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on June 16th, 2011, 4:38 pm

[quote="Aspiemom"] I hear DB is taking his bike tour to South America next.

I should have said Latin America. :oops:

OMG, are you going? Will you ask a question? In English or Spanish?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on June 16th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Aspie, thank you for posting this thread, as I had not seen David's Journal entry.

I read your thread at around 11 Pm, went over to David's Journal, and when I saw the dates and places, I jumped from my seat. I have dreamt about David here in Mexico for a year now, this is all incredibly exciting for me!

Of course I'll go! It will be of interest for me as I'm a bike rider, and it will be DB talking so it's win win.
I'm still excited right now, I doubt it will wear off until the actual event has passed :lol:
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on June 18th, 2011, 5:12 am

Cool. I hope it's fun. The bikes Powerpiint he used in the U.S. Was charming. It might still be on YouTube.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on July 7th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Oedepus on July 13th, 2011, 3:50 am

The tour has started! here's David in Sao Paulo

http://yfrog.com/khordgj
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby jd23 on July 15th, 2011, 8:28 pm

jd23
Ruby Dear

Postby Aspiemom on July 16th, 2011, 2:16 am

Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on July 16th, 2011, 3:53 am

Bernardo is on tour with David, check his twitter account for pics of David as the events unfold :)

http://twitter.com/#!/BernardoBaranda

Also in the video when the wonderful Miss America vocal outro started playing, I felt so happy 8-)
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Oedepus on July 27th, 2011, 3:45 am

Just one more day!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on July 29th, 2011, 3:14 am

Sorry for late notice. Bicycle talk is being simulcast here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pijama-surf-tv
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on July 29th, 2011, 4:17 am

Aspiemom wrote: Bicycle talk is being simulcast here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pijama-surf-tv

The streaming company keeps trying to sell me a sport utility vehicle. :lol:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on July 29th, 2011, 1:42 pm

I was excited about this for a month, on tuesday night he was supposed to ride with us around town, he didn't show up. And yesterday I arrived to the venue hours before the event, with the hope of watching him arrive in his bike and being able to talk to him. He arrived in a cab and returned a quick hello to me with his hand. He didn't even sign the books in person, they sold them already autographed. After the conference, we wanted to approach him again, he turned his back and walked away. Got in a car again and left very quickly. After weeks of dreaming about this, he didn't let anyone near him, the last question he received was "did you write Psycho Killer when you were already riding a bike?" and that's what he closed with, and missed out on the opportunity to meet someone who is really passionate about his solo work.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on July 29th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Oedepus wrote:I was excited about this for a month, on tuesday night he was supposed to ride with us around town, he didn't show up. And yesterday I arrived to the venue hours before the event, with the hope of watching him arrive in his bike and being able to talk to him. He arrived in a cab and returned a quick hello to me with his hand. He didn't even sign the books in person, they sold them already autographed. After the conference, we wanted to approach him again, he turned his back and walked away. Got in a car again and left very quickly. After weeks of dreaming about this, he didn't let anyone near him, the last question he received was "did you write Psycho Killer when you were already riding a bike?" and that's what he closed with, and missed out on the opportunity to meet someone who is really passionate about his solo work.

:( I can tell you’re disappointed. You’re not only a passionate fan but a creative person in your own right. It’s his loss. For what it’s worth, I thought DB’s posture was a bit stooped last night, and that he seemed tired. But I wasn’t there like you were, and really have no idea if there was a good excuse for the cab riding and fan avoidance. Try to give him the benefit of the doubt for your own sake, if not for his. Sorry the night fell so short of expectations. :(
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on July 31st, 2011, 3:43 pm

Thank you Aspie

Now that I think about it

with all previous artists I met, there was no prior planification. It all happened at the moment as I went along with an idea

at the second Diamanda Galas concert I attended, I never in my life expected to chat with her for a few minutes, it just happened when I got there
with Brian Eno, I had no idea where or when he was going to arrive, I just thought on the subway ride "I'll meet him" and it happened when I got there.

So what happened with Byrne I supposed, was too much hype, planification, and a pre-conception of how everything was going to be. On my part. But I can't blame myself because I'm a dreamer, and a very big one at that.

I had nothing to lose though, and everything happenes the way it does for a reason.

In my mind, that behaviour is strange, because if I were a successful artist, I would be excited to meet my fans.
But David is almost 60 years old, I don't know how tired I'll be as well when I've been doing it for so long.
Regardless, he did see me and waved hello, and I got his signature so it wasn't a total waste. Had he been rude infront of my face I would not want to listen to his music again. But in this case, he simply wasn't in the proper context to hang out with people.

And mind you, I don't know if the people there represent his actual fanbase, or bike enthusiasts, but if it's the former, I have to admit I don't find them to be enjoyable people at all...listening to their conversations while waiting in line, it was painful to hear such ignorance regarding David's work. "have you seen that album he did with a house made of lego?" "when did he do Pyscho Killer?" answer from guy behind me in line: "in the 80's" And then when someone asked David about Psycho Killer I said "of course, the only song they know"

So looking back, it would have been a disgrace for him to meet such posers, but I wish he had at least seen my DB '94 book when he was leaving, I'm sure that would have surprised him.

I hope he comes back at some point, to perform, so the context is right for a fan meeting. And then I'll finally ask my questions :)
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on August 1st, 2011, 2:08 am

Thanks for checking in, Oe. I’m a mother; I worry about people. Dashed expectations, realistic or not, can be painful. Take good care of yourself. :respect:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: On meeting an idol

Postby muleskinner on August 2nd, 2011, 1:57 pm

I saw Lucinda Williams this past Thursday night (as usual, through her songs, she took the audience from the pain of a broken relationship or a childhood that should have been better, to reasons why we all have something to be thankful for, to revenge and anger.....a Lucinda concert ain't for the faint hearted, folks!).

Anyway, after the show, this lady wrote about her experience wanting to meet Lucinda sooo badly, but, that evening, it was not to be. To her credit, in the end, she let go, and was OK with not having met her.

http://emmabolden.com/2011/07/31/i-dont-want-nothin-if-i-have-to-fake-it-on-not-meeting-lucinda-williams/
muleskinner
Radio Head

Return to DAVID BYRNE