Song of the Week- May 15- "The Accident"

Rock's Renaissance Man

Song of the Week- May 15- "The Accident"

Postby Aspiemom on May 15th, 2011, 10:15 pm

The Song of the Week for this week is "The Accident." I think it's about the consequences of infidelity, but Oedepus says he has a different take. Should be interesting.

Here's the lyric:
When you see an accident do not turn your head and look away
I can see detectives are sifting through the wreckage we have made

It starts with only one kiss
It changes everything

TV crews arrive on the scene
They say "See the man who lost everything"
He lies shattered like a glass on the ground
They say "Only you can bring him around
& set me free"

I became delirious
Palm trees gently swaying in the breeze
On a desert island, I haven't seen a human being for years

The house where we used to live
Described by witnesses
TV crews arrive on the scene
& the anchorman they break down and weep
Living proof that things are not what they seem
It takes all these wild and wonderful things -
To set me free
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: Song of the Week- May 15- "The Accident"

Postby Oedepus on May 16th, 2011, 1:01 am

Yesterday I heard a lot of TH, not remembering it was David's birthday!

I interpret The Accident half-literally, with the imagery each line provides.
For example the first half, it reminds me a lot of my favorite film, "Un chien andalou" by Buñuel and Dali, particulary the scene where an androgyne-looking woman is poking a hand with her cane, with a crowd surrounding the event, after the road is cleared, she gets hit by a car and is left for dead on the ground.

I'm confused as to why the narrator speaks about the event like it doesn't affect him, and it's just something he's witenessing, but the lines "to set me free" clearly indicate otherwise. What is going on there?

I'm really glad this song was included in the Union Chapel setlist, I love TH but sometimes I feel he leaves out stuff from his solo albums that he would like to play, and that we would love to hear, in favour of TH classics that he knows a lot of people went to see. Don't get me wrong, "Life during wartime" is an outstanding song, mostly the studio recording, but with the time he takes to play that one, he could do at least 2 songs from his neglected solo material. In Between the teeth I think there's a good balance of solo material, but on the following tour, it's as though he wasn't convinced people would like to attend if there wasn't a lot of TH songs. "Cool Water" was incredible on that tour, but I feel that songs from Little Creatures and other TH classics messed a bit with the less upbeat, more obscure feel of the DB '94 material, and the atmosphere they created with the live show. It's as though he had a happy/sad switch.

On the Feelings tour on the other hand, the electronic arrangements and the surprising revival of songs like "Slippery People" and "Listening Wind" were very satisfactory, and they got along very well with the solo songs, that whole tour was amazing! Pyscho Killer and Flippy are practically whole new songs.

What I'm getting at, is that maybe David loves to play all those classics, Road to nowhere, Life during wartime, This must be the place, Burning down the house, etc...and that's wonderful, but if he ever feels he just has to do them because that's what people want, I would like him to not care and play songs from all his solo albums he hasn't done in years.

Back to The Accident, the whole song gives me a "film noir" vibe, I imagine a detectivesque black and white video to go with it!
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 18th, 2011, 2:25 am

They're called flagellants, and if you enjoy it, then you're doing it wrong. :blbl:

I think I get this song. It's like a parable- one metaphor, one message. "The house where we used to live" is the symbol for the marriage. "The accident" is his affair, which he used to escape from the marriage. I don't think it was an accident though. He was trying to get free, and he found a way to do it. That's why "things are not what they seem." "Witnesses" (friends probably) think he's shattered; actually, he's free. In his mind, he drifts not to his lover, but to an island where he's alone. He didn't really want the lover, just his freedom. ("Something familiar, something far, far away. . . .")

Interesting avoidance of the word "home" here. Like it's okay to destroy a house, but maybe not a home. Maybe an unhappy marriage is more akin to a prison though. The house/home thing reappears in "Glass, Concrete & Stone".

As for movies, I get more of a noir vibe than a surrealist one. Maybe a Tennessee Williams' theme of the male needing to escape from the female too. :roll:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on May 19th, 2011, 2:24 am

Replace the puppet with levitating Joel Grey, and that's just what I was thinking! Everything comes back to musical theater. :biere:

On the CIty of Dreams Mirror package that Ruben posted, there's a 2001 BBC interview about this album. DB says that he had the chord changes for this one in his head for a few years before any arrangement, and the arrangement before any words. Then the first set of words just described the arrangement, so they had to be redone. (Like Peter and the Wolf? "Now the clarinet plays, and here is a gong. . . " I don't know, probably better than that.) My only point is that the dark, noirish tone preceded the lyric.

I have reviewed lots of accident files. Instead of turning my head and looking away, I get to pore over photographs and interviews taken in the aftermath. It can be creepy like the song, or it can be disturbing that it's not creepy anymore. Just more facts to push around. But in hindsight, there's usually an improbable chain of events that leads to the accident, kind of like The Great Gatsby or the movie "Crash". I wonder sometimes about subconscious intentions causing some of these messes. So that may affect my interpretation. But I still think he caused the "accident" to escape from the marriage, and though it was painful, it was necessary. Like people who cut off their right arm to get out of a trap. :karate:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Wickeddoll on May 19th, 2011, 3:22 am

My daughter loves this one, but for me, it's "meh".

She thinks I'm a philistine for not adoring it - maybe she's right. LOL

Natalie
http://www.wegrokspock.net/

"Wicked little doll, you have no soul"
Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on May 19th, 2011, 4:08 am

Wickeddoll wrote:My daughter loves this one, but for me, it's "meh".

She thinks I'm a philistine for not adoring it - maybe she's right. LOL

Natalie

I look forward to the day that my kids consider me a Philistine. My daughters' favorite song goes like this:
My Little Pony, my Little Pony
All in a twinkling. Spring is here!
My Little Pony, my Little Pony,
When did all the leaves and grass appear?

I agree "The Accident" is meh, but it's all relative! Glad you and your daughter can share music together.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Wickeddoll on May 19th, 2011, 4:39 am

LOL Been there, done that!

I think she's a bigger fan of DB's solo work than I am. I love most of his stuff, but she seems to love all of it. Of TH stuff, she hates "Blind" one of my absolute faves and likes "Mr. Jones", which I loathe. So, I think we're both huge DB/TH fans, but differ on the songs. This is why I love DB's work - his palette is so broad, that he can have diametrically opposing fans.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 19th, 2011, 10:13 pm

No love for Blind? that song is marvellous!

You are right about that, I know people who love his more rock oriented work, and dislike the latin stuff. I also have a friend who likes everything except his instrumental albums.

David did say Eyeball and Grown Backwards deal with relationships, so your interpretations can be applied to both The Accident and Broken Things.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 20th, 2011, 2:27 am

Wickeddoll wrote:LOL Been there, done that!

I think she's a bigger fan of DB's solo work than I am. I love most of his stuff, but she seems to love all of it. Of TH stuff, she hates "Blind" one of my absolute faves and likes "Mr. Jones", which I loathe. So, I think we're both huge DB/TH fans, but differ on the songs. This is why I love DB's work - his palette is so broad, that he can have diametrically opposing fans.

Natalie

Palette- nice painting word! (All these electronic recording techniques seem to make composing more like painting, adding one loop at a time "until it's finished.") I prefer some songs to others, too, but I'm always interested in how any song reflects on the whole body of work. Like "The Accident" having more to say about houses and homes adds depth to the other "home" songs.

I love "Mr. Jones" though. True story- I was at a conference listening to a dull speaker when I downloaded Naked. I slipped in my earbuds, and when "Mr. Jones" came on, I had to bite my lips to stop from laughing at the "conventioneers" around me. One of the things that appeals to me about the song is the recognition of the absurd in a situation that most people view as ordinary. Its far from the only song on that theme though.

Oe had a post earlier about DB's set lists, and I understand rooting for our faves to be performed. GrandpaLewis is waiting for "What a Day that Was" to come back, and I'd be all for that! DB says he plays what he wants, and I hope that's true. But what's he gonna say, "yeah, you're right, playing that song bores me to tears?"
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Wickeddoll on May 20th, 2011, 3:14 am

I can't get past the lame arrangement of "Mr. Jones" to even contemplate the lyrics. DB only has a very few, but this one I've put in the same dumpster I put "Naive Melody", "Creatures Of Love", "My Big Nurse" and a handful of others.

I'll say this though; even when DB is less-than-great IMO, he's still head & shoulders above most of the dreck coming out of "artists" today.

AutoTune is a tool of Satan.

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 20th, 2011, 3:55 am

Aspiemom wrote:Oe had a post earlier about DB's set lists, and I understand rooting for our faves to be performed. GrandpaLewis is waiting for "What a Day that Was" to come back, and I'd be all for that! DB says he plays what he wants, and I hope that's true. But what's he gonna say, "yeah, you're right, playing that song bores me to tears?"

That's really awesome that you heard the song in a context that provided the right imagery :lol:

I watched the Zagreb concert at youtube again yesterday, and it's amazing, but it's mostly TH songs, I think the Feelings tour had a better mix of TH and solo material. When I have the pleasure of catching his live show, I'll be happy with whatever he performs, but I will root for Miss America for sure!

Naive Melody has some really beautiful lyrics...for a while it was my favorite TH song until the day I heard the first few seconds of Born under punches.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 20th, 2011, 4:17 am

Auto tune is from Hell! Makes sense. I was so saddened to hear it on Sufjan Stevens' new album. Why do that to a good voice?

The arrangement on Mr. Jones is cheesy, and Naive Melody too in it's own way. I hear them as ironic, so I don't mind. But I'm like your daughter- I like everything pretty much. May get more discerning over time.

Oe, I want "Born Under Punches" played at my retirement party. The long version from TNOTBITH. "Don't even mention it. I'm a tumbler. I'm a government man.". Looking forward to checking it out on DVD, since I have missed every tour ever. :bawling:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Wickeddoll on May 20th, 2011, 9:37 pm

I don't mind AutoTune as a special effect, briefly used, but it's taken over, because there is so little real talent out there, just products, like Twitney.

I used to buy Black Eyed Peas albums without hesitation, but now they're slaves to AT as well. Too bad; they don't need it, but since "Boom Boom Pow" they've sold out to fake music.

Back to DB - I finally got to see him in Raleigh, NC in 2008. (link below)

I can die happy now.

So the heat goes on, for you, huh?

:mrgreen:

Natalie

Wickeddoll
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on May 22nd, 2011, 5:16 am

Wickeddoll wrote:I don't mind AutoTune as a special effect, briefly used, but it's taken over, because there is so little real talent out there, just products, like Twitney.

I used to buy Black Eyed Peas albums without hesitation, but now they're slaves to AT as well. Too bad; they don't need it, but since "Boom Boom Pow" they've sold out to fake music.

Back to DB - I finally got to see him in Raleigh, NC in 2008. (link below)

I can die happy now.

So the heat goes on, for you, huh?

:mrgreen:

Natalie
. So that's what it takes to die happy! Guess I'll rely on your pictures and the movie. :respect:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on May 22nd, 2011, 7:01 pm

It's Sunday. Anybody have a song?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 22nd, 2011, 9:58 pm

We'll have to let Aspie surprise us :)
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 23rd, 2011, 3:59 am

Okay, then. I'm posting "Slippery People" under TH.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Return to DAVID BYRNE