Song of the Week- May 8- "Hangin' Upside Down"

Rock's Renaissance Man

Song of the Week- May 8- "Hangin' Upside Down"

Postby Aspiemom on May 8th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Happy Mother's Day. Just getting that out of the way, because this song isn't related to the holiday really. This week's song is "Hangin' Upside Down" from Uh-Oh. I'm going the post the lyric and then dash off to finish my housework. "Everybody ought to have a maid" but that's a different song. :breakdance:

Here's the lyric:
Window shoppin’
Finger poppin’
Hangin’ in our fav’rite shopping mall
Looky looky
A little cutie
A little kitten she deserves a home

Tell you dudes when I get old enough
Bet that I am gonna try some stuff
Twisted sister
Don’t ’cha miss her
But there’s a hundred more where she came from
Wiggle wiggle
Jiggle jiggle
Jesus, how the babes are almost grown!

I don’t need to watch the news at night
Anyone can see we’re outa time --

Hangin’ on
Hangin’ out
Got my hundred dollar shoes
Hangin’ round
Hangin’ free
We got nothin else to do
What goes up
Must come down
Oh, she took an overdose
Hangin’ out
Hangin’ free
Till our mama takes us home

Shimmy shimmy
Gimmie gimmie
We don’t need you & we don’t need love
Gotta have it
I’m gonna grab it
It ain’t stealing, hey, it’s only fun
When you live inside the pleasure dome
You don’t ever wanna go back home

Hangin’ on
Hangin’ out
Some are hangin’ upside down
A perfect world
A perfect girl
Oh — another year rolls by
I’m the king
You’re my queen
When those zombies all awake
A broken heart
A broken home
Ain’t no tears upon your face

Hangin’ on
Hangin’ out
There’s a place for me & you
Hangin’ round
Hangin’ free
We got nothin’ else to do
Turn it up
Fade it down
Yeah, that song it saved my life
Perfect teeth
A perfect smile
Oh, she was a friend of mine
Let’s go out
To the place
Where the hands of time are slowed
No one walks
No one dies
No more hassles anymore
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: Song of the Week- May 8- "Hangin' Upside Down"

Postby Oedepus on May 8th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Have you seen the music video? it's pretty interesting.

The singles were also great, it was a 2 cd set+She's mad being the third cd, giving you 9 live tracks in total, the last of them an acoustic (or as I call it, spaghetti western :lol:) version of Now I'm Your Mom.

Hanging Upside Down was an instant like for me, I think my favorite part is the solo, the bridges on all the Uh-Uh songs are very cool.

Isn't this song one of those "life is a roller coaster" type of deals? that's how I've always looked at it.
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 9th, 2011, 11:55 pm

No, I haven't seen the video, just the "Between the Teeth" performance. These "singles" with like 9 songs on them are new to me too.

I don't see it as a roller coaster type song, more of an anti-materialism lesson. The song starts with an early-adolescent hanging out in a shopping mall and shoplifting. He can't drive yet, and relies on his mama for a ride home. He's learning weird values, like being proud of $100 shoes. I think the song ends with the same guy, older, applying these values to his love life. Maybe he's stolen someone else's wife, or is cheating on his own wife? But when the relationship ends ("when the zombies all awake"), there's "a broken heart," "a broken home."

Many lines seem to question what the mall is really selling you. Is the world "perfect" there? Does time slow?

Then there's the line "another year rolls by." It combines time and spinning! Day to night = spinning; summer to winter = different kind of spinning. Even hour and second hands, "the hands of time?," they spin too.

I am perpetually shocked by the date. Whatever it is, it seems later than it should be. When the years start rolling one after another, you do wish something could slow them down.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 10th, 2011, 12:30 am

You're only missing She's Mad! I'm sure you have the other 2 singles now. (ftp heaven)

The music video actually adds more to your shopping mall question, based on what I see everything happens there. Lucky for you and me Hanging Upside Down is not a nightmare to track down! just go to myspace, click on videos, put the title and you'll see it there.

Let us know what you thought of it, I think it's a really cool video.

I think the lyrics start out really cute and get more macabre with each passing verse. I mean from looky looky, a little cutie to overdose? :lol:
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 10th, 2011, 3:06 am

Thanks, I liked the video. First reactions:
Sideburns!

The shots are kind of dark.

I hadn't thought of "what goes up must come down" referring to escalators.

I like the shot of DB walking down the up escalator with his guitar. Very rebellious.

You see a Barbie-looking woman during the verse describing the cute kitten. Confuses love with shopping again. Kind of like "Love for Sale."

You see some very young children. I wonder why? Because they are impressionable maybe? Are the lines "gimmie gimmie" and "we don't need you, and we don't need love" the child's responses to his parents after growing up in this consumer atmosphere?

Are the people lying in the parking spaces the zombies? It reminds me of Romero's Dawn of the Dead zombie movie. Similar themes, and those people really are out of town. Zombies surrounding the mall, infiltrating. . . .

I like DB's little smile at the line "perfect teeth, a perfect smile." He just shows his teeth, the smile doesn't reach his eyes. A fake facial expression.

A few more thoughts on the lyric.
The line about the babes being almost grown could be a teen boy's reaction to the girls, uh, development.

"There's a place for me and you," reminds me of West Side Story's "Somewhere" ("There's a place for us. Somewhere a place for us. Peace and quiet and open air. Wait for us, Somewhere.") DB turns that concept on its head, though, as the place for this illicit relationship is the mall, an artificial environment.

Is there a parallel between this song and "The Accident," where affairs break up families? Or to "A Walk in the Dark's" line "Do we just chase whatever we desire?" :cry:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 11th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Aspiemom wrote:Is there a parallel between this song and "The Accident," where affairs break up families? Or to "A Walk in the Dark's" line "Do we just chase whatever we desire?" :cry:

The Accident ought to be next week's pick, I would like you to elaborate on that. I have a very different impression of the song.

I like the imagery you suggest of Zombies trying to break into the shopping mall!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 12th, 2011, 2:45 am

Oedepus wrote:The Accident ought to be next week's pick, I would like you to elaborate on that. I have a very different impression of the song.

Cool, I'll be glad to hear your thoughts on "The Accident."

I have a couple more thoughts on this one. "Perfect teeth" recur in several DB lyrics, as well as the cover of "I Wish." Then there's "Between the Teeth," and my personal favorite, "I'll trade you my potential mental illness for your bad teeth." In this mall song, though, it seems like perfect teeth are something that people buy for themselves, or for their children, by getting braces. Perfect teeth look white, and straight, and pretty much like anyone else's perfect teeth. When you fix the smile God gave you, do you lose some of your originality? Is this a way of homogenizing people ("There's a hundred more where she came from.")? By contrast, DB often describes beauty as being strange or disorderly- (Carnival Girl "Beauty is always so strange." Pirates "You hair's a mess. It's lovely imperfection." Fuzzy Freaky "The strange is also beautiful.") Perfect teeth aren't strange at all, so maybe they're not beautiful. Do mass produced goods create a desire for mass-produced people? :mrgreen:

And one more thought on spinning and time. "Burning down the house" and DB's internet radio station use the phrase "365 degrees." A circle is only 360 degrees, but a non-leap-year has 365 days. So maybe this expresses years as a kind of spinning. :hippy:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 13th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Aspiemom wrote:When you fix the smile God gave you, do you lose some of your originality?

My answer is yes.

David himself has very distinctive features. I personally identify with the sentiment of flaws being unique and original. The Miss America video is another example of wretched beauty we can add to the list. I think strange teeth could be unusual (and therefore beautiful) if we discuss them in an utopic context. This song sort of has that vibe (when you live inside the pleasure dome). I have a short story where we live in a futuristic society, and everybody looks exactly the same. A girl in town is unimpressed and bored with this perfection, so when I arrive by chance to this society, she falls in love. With my crooked smile, glasses, above average height and general features. We have a great time until a bunch of bizarre creatures from all over space arrive in town, and she marvels at all of them, specially the most grotesque ones, so I realize it's over.

What do you think he means with "Twisted Sister"?

I think the song also has a somewhat sad part at the end, with the wish of no one dying, I suppose he wants that mostly for people close to him and not just everyone in the world, which is something we all feel from time to time.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 14th, 2011, 2:34 am

Oedepus wrote:
Aspiemom wrote:When you fix the smile God gave you, do you lose some of your originality?

My answer is yes. . . .

I have a short story where we live in a futuristic society, and everybody looks exactly the same. A girl in town is unimpressed and bored with this perfection, so when I arrive by chance to this society, she falls in love. With my crooked smile, glasses, above average height and general features. We have a great time until a bunch of bizarre creatures from all over space arrive in town, and she marvels at all of them, specially the most grotesque ones, so I realize it's over.

What do you think he means with "Twisted Sister"?

I think the song also has a somewhat sad part at the end, with the wish of no one dying, I suppose he wants that mostly for people close to him and not just everyone in the world, which is something we all feel from time to time.

A singer and a writer, cool. I like your story. It might make a good movie, but you'd need a serious budget! Do you like Kurt Vonnegut?

"Twisted sister" puzzles me too. Is the timing right for it to be a reference to the hair band ("We're not gonna take it!" "Smokin' in the Boys' Room")? Meh. Some DB lyrics have recurring references to a kinda slutty older sister: "Moment of Conception" "Blame it on my older sister, for showing me her dirty pictures;" "Twistin' in the Wind" "My sister likes the boys. They kinda like her too. My mama says 'be careful,' but she says 'nah, that ain't cool.'" So maybe it's her? But why do we miss her? Is she dead? Maybe she just doesn't hang out at the mall anymore.

"Pleasure dome" is an interesting point too. An artificial atmosphere where it never rains. In some DB songs, parents protect "us" from the rain (Makin' Flippy Floppy), or at least they should have (Every Drop of Rain). I think the song sets up a tension between parents and the mall, since a "pleasure dome" provides the same kind of protection from rain, plus a bunch of other stuff that's not available at home. :coffee:

I think the ending is sad in a different way, like sad/pathetic. I see the character being so convinced by marketing that he really believes that he's safe from time, death, and all hassles at the mall. Or at least that going there provides some kind of respite. When actually he's wasting his time. Surely he does have something better to do with his life than hang out at the mall consuming stuff. Maybe he should write a story or learn the guitar instead. :rockdude:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on May 15th, 2011, 10:12 pm

s!mbells wrote:Some thoughts:

Tell you dudes when I get old enough
Bet that I am gonna try some stuff - innocent desire, want, intrigue, inexperience driving wants
Shimmy shimmy - it all looks so good I just gotta have some
When you live inside the pleasure dome
You don’t ever wanna go back home - isn't that the truth (whatever your pleasure dome is - when is the party over?)
Hangin’ on, Hangin’ out - yep

Yeah, this song gives me weird flashbacks to junior high school (12-14 year old). The mall opened in my small town when I was about 11 years old, which made it even more enticing to the tween crowd. We were so cool! :? And we had way more time than money, plenty of time to dream about how much better life would be when were old enough to drive cars. Maybe the "king" and "queen" reflect these grandiose childhood dreams?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Return to DAVID BYRNE