Say you're sorry

Rock's Renaissance Man

Say you're sorry

Postby Buglet on April 12th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Charlie Crist says sorry to DB. Shame he doesn't seem to mean it...

http://youtu.be/s4k13LmlcUE
Buglet
Papa Legba

Re: Say you're sorry

Postby Ruben on April 13th, 2011, 12:31 am

I just love some of the comments there.

"David Byrne made Charlie Crist his Bitch!"

LOL :mrgreen:
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby Buck's Student on April 13th, 2011, 1:07 am

Just posted about that in the Talking Head section. 8-)
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on April 13th, 2011, 2:20 am

Wow, love that smoky background and the sincere-looking facial expressions. It is really difficult to get an apology by suing somebody. It's much easier to get some cash and a confidentiality agreement, which is why I never expected to hear the end of this story. Kudos to the DB legal team! My day is made. :respect:

It's the best apology I've seen since "A Fish Called Wanda:" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7mIy97_rlo
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on April 13th, 2011, 2:27 am

Ruben wrote:I just love some of the comments there.

"David Byrne made Charlie Crist his Bitch!"

LOL :mrgreen:

Not sure why men always go to this metaphor, but here's DB's statement:"I'm feeling very manly after my trip to Tampa . . . Other artists may actually have the anger but not want to take the time and risk the legal bills. I am lucky that I can do that. Anyway, my hope is that by standing up to this practice maybe it can be made to be a less common option, or better yet an option that is never taken in the future."
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Buck's Student on April 13th, 2011, 2:33 am

I respect David for this - My question is: What's his stance on people downloading his music for free? I know Brian Eno has no problem with it. Most real music fans will buy it later.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on April 13th, 2011, 3:05 am

Buck's Student wrote:I respect David for this - My question is: What's his stance on people downloading his music for free? I know Brian Eno has no problem with it. Most real music fans will buy it later.

He's done some work on behalf of a group that favors more "flexible" copyright licenses: http://www.creativecommons.org You can find out more than you'd ever want to know from their website. I've never heard DB say that he condones free unlicensed downloads, but I don't think he's going to sue you, either.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Buck's Student on April 13th, 2011, 5:43 am

Why bother when most college students have Mediafire, and the campuses can't do anything but spread propaganda to try and scare them. A couple of weeks ago a girl published a front page article on how my University and the RIAA were going to crack down on any student who downloads illegally - She plagarized the article (It was originally several months old - Published in an Ivy League Uni's paper), and she hasn't been caught for it. :lol:

I don't think a rich politician should be able to use a song when he wants, but someone without much money in a recession (When crime/illegal activity always thrives - Labels have tried to blame their loss on downloads, which translates to them not understanding that people won't buy CDs over food even if downloads didn't exist) should have free reign in their own home. Plus, Youtube and MySpace have full albums uploaded - You could listen to it over and over without buying it - What's the difference if you download it? The RIAA has already confirmed they aren't suing individuals anymore; they're looking for big uploaders/torrent seeders. The government gets enough Exxon money that they don't need to worry about people downloading music "illegally."

My music has always been given out for free, too. Why not? I'm pretty content with my life. If I was ever signed, I would never want anything to do with Warner Music Group, wouldn't allow Youtube to confine my videos to Vevo, and would not let someone put a brand name on me.

I respect David because he still makes relevant music, charges little for his shows, and reinterprets the old Talking Heads stuff instead of playing the same notes every night. His CDs are pricey, but I understand that because he's not overtly popular anymore. He has a right to protect his music - I just hope he can see/understand that a younger audience needs a little leeway when it comes to purchasing/downloading his material.

For the record, I own hardcopies of each Talking Heads album. My room is overflowing with CDs - I don't buy them much anymore - I buy used vinyl.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buglet on April 13th, 2011, 9:58 am

Copyright infringement is theft. Period.

The Creative Commons scheme was set up for those artists who are happy to share their work to non-profit users whilst still retaining overall copyright control. All of my work online is available for free provided that certain license conditions are met.

The fundamental condition is permission. If someone uses my stuff without my permission then I will sue them. It's as easy as that. With my guidance my nephew is in the process of taking his first legal action against a national newspaper that used one of his photographs without permission, credit or payment. I will make sure he wins.

Using the economy as an excuse for theft will never wash. Poor people are bound by the same laws as rich people. Music/art/photography is how artists make their money. If people steal their product, they suffer the financial consequences. It may be just a few songs to you - to the artist it is their livelihood.

David Byrne, I salute you for standing up for the rights of artists everywhere!

8-)
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby muleskinner on April 13th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Aspiemom wrote:It is really difficult to get an apology by suing somebody. It's much easier to get some cash and a confidentiality agreement

It is indeed. He rubbed Crist's nose in it big time. The only explanation I can think of is that Crist's insurance money was running out (if there was insurance which covered the dirty deed to begin with), he was faced with having to fork over serious $$$$$ out of his own pocket or agree to getting his nose rubbed in the s**t.

Most defendants would have said "F**K that"....and tell the insurance co. to pay whatever it took to avoid that humiliation. Even if there wasn't insurance money, one would think Crist has enough money that he could still have said "F..K that...I'm not doing that".

As for DB, the video can be added as another piece of performance art in his portfolio.

If it were me, I'd dedicate a special song to Mr. Crist next time I played it live then change the lyrics slightly:

"He's on a road to nowhere..."

jg
muleskinner
Radio Head

Postby Buck's Student on April 14th, 2011, 3:53 am

Buglet, I had originally spent twenty minutes typing a response, but I have no interest in arguing with you, because no one is going to change your opinion. :hippy:

I don't think someone who downloads music is a criminal. Art is art, and it's not for money. That's why my music is free.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Oedepus on April 14th, 2011, 5:03 am

Buck's Student wrote:Art is art, and it's not for money. That's why my music is free.

I agree.

Even though I try to get every Byrne cd I find, some stuff is so rare or difficult to track down, your only option is a download, if you're lucky to even find such material online. This doesn't make anyone less of a fan or a criminal, you just want to listen to the music!
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Buglet on April 14th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Hey Bucks, if you don't need the revenue and are happy with just anyone using your stuff and claiming it as their own then go for it. As I said, permission is the fundamental aspect of usage. I allow charities and non-profit orgs to use my photos for free as long as they ask first. It's a very simple contract based on professional courtesy.

Unfortunately the real world functions on money, and artists need it to survive just like everyone else. Copyright Law is there for a reason.
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on April 14th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Buck's Student wrote:I don't think someone who downloads music is a criminal. Art is art, and it's not for money. That's why my music is free.

Why,Bucks! You are experienced after all!

Self-aggrandizement and deferential modesty in a single post! Wow!

(just me being me-you know the drill) ;)

talking of-where's that Wickedoll? AWOL? (that rhymed-guess it must be Art)

Don-I'll show you my rhyming couplet if you show me yours-C.

:respect:

What was the thread's title again? :oops:
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Buck's Student on April 14th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Buglet - Wrong - I never said I would allow anyone to claim it or use it the way this politician did. That argument has nothing to do with mine: Downloading music for free has nothing to do with using it commercially.

You know you're so wrong about that, too, right? As I have said before, most fans buy the music later - We're in a bad state economically. If you want to make a college student pay 5000 bucks for music, or put some old lady in prison, that's your deal as a lawyer. Lawyers are what got us in this mess, right?

Again, I had spent twenty minutes on that earlier post - To remain civil and let the argument die - I suggest you do the same.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Mr.DRC on April 14th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Buck's Student wrote:

Again, I had spent twenty minutes on that earlier post - To remain civil and let the argument die - I suggest you do the same.

Uh Oh! Did someone say deferential modesty ?

How wrong can a guy be. :roll:
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Buck's Student on April 14th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Mr.DRC wrote:
Buck's Student wrote:

Uh Oh! Did someone say deferential modesty ?

How wrong can a guy be. :roll:

Damn, I meant to say "I spent twenty minutes on that earlier post and then erased it - To remain civil and the let argument die." It's fairly obvious Buglet and I don't see eye to eye on this topic. :respect:
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Mr.DRC on April 15th, 2011, 12:22 am

...also fairly obvious someone just played their Get Out Of Jail card. :lol:
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Buck's Student on April 15th, 2011, 1:41 am

Mr.DRC wrote:...also fairly obvious someone just played their Get Out Of Jail card. :lol:

Did the Talking Heads design the Brick with your head in mind? :lol:
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on April 15th, 2011, 2:22 am

Buck's Student wrote: Lawyers are what got us in this mess, right?

Lawyers are tools (pun intended). They can be used for many purposes. In this particular instance, lawyers got us this funny-as-hell Act of Contrition from Charlie Crist. That warrants at least some faith in the legal system. I just watched it again. Yep, it's still funny. :lol:

The enemies here are politicians who steal songs they barely comprehend to stir up enthusiasm for their campaigns. Remember when Republicans used to play "Born in the USA" at their rallies? Did they ever listen to the verses? I can understand why the artists are offended enough to file lawsuits over this.

There will be an answer to the free versus paid music question too, but it will take some time to emerge. The law is too blunt an instrument to stop file sharing, and millionaires who sue college students will be resented, not just by the public but by juries as well. Technology has just outpaced the market for the moment. But artists and listeners have common interests in cutting the labels, advertisers and whoever else gets a cut of the price of a c.d. Plenty of money is still being spent on music. "The future is certain. Give us time to work it out." :breakdance: :hippy:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Return to DAVID BYRNE