Song of the Week- April 3- "The Revolution"

Rock's Renaissance Man

Song of the Week- April 3- "The Revolution"

Postby Aspiemom on April 4th, 2011, 4:39 am

It's April already, 91 degrees in K.C., followed by hail and thunderstorms. The weather changes violently here; it's kind of fun, and people rarely get hurt. Speaking of violence, the song for this week is "The Revolution" from L.I.T.E. (2d track, follows "U.B. Jesus!") The song describes a peaceful change.

The song reminds me of chaos theory- the butterfly that sets off the hurricane. But in this story, Beauty knows exactly what she's doing and has confidence that she will succeed. Where does that confidence come from?

Is this song an answer to the Beatles' song "Revolution?" That song paints a more traditional picture of revolution- Maoists, Che Guevara (author of "The Motorcycle Diaries"), guns, the kind of romantic picture shown in "Pan's Labyrinth." The singer refuses to be drawn in though.

In DB's lyric, are the bubbles popping in glasses of beer, in financial markets, both? Fish, really? Why does country music bring the revolution? Does anybody even sing country music in bars in NYC? Until recently, they didn't even have a country radio station.

Here's the lyric:

Amplifiers & old guitars
Country music sung in bars
& when she sings the revolution's near

Beauty holds the microphone
& watches as we stumble home
& she can see the revolution now

Dirt & fish & trees & houses
Smoke & hands up women's blouses
Not like I expected it would be

Bubbles pop in every size
It's analyzed & criticized
& beauty knows that it is almost here

Beauty goes to her address
She shuts the door and climbs the stairs
& when she sleeps the revolution grows

Beauty rests on mattress strings
Wearing just her underthings
& when she wakes the revolution's here
& when she wakes the revolution's here
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: Song of the Week- April 3- "The Revolution"

Postby Oedepus on April 5th, 2011, 3:36 am

This song captivated me after I heard it closely for the first time on youtube used in a fan video from a japanese cartoon, it fit pretty well, I wanted to share it here but it's gone now.

I really like the strings in this song! specially the music right after "the revolution grows"
I've read David discussing this song somewhere, he said something along the lines of Revolution not being a massive thing, but something that happens gradually, little changes. At first glance you'd imagine it's an old story, but it's about personal change in beliefs and growth.

You mention Pan's Labyrinth...I love that film! seen it many times, The Pale Man is one of my favorite sequences in film of all time.
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on April 6th, 2011, 2:07 am

"Beauty rests on mattress springs, wearing just her underthings" reminds me of the ads for Beautyrest mattresses. I wanted to cut in a picture, but all I can manage is a link: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5TR6wD2Kroc/Se4sj2p2sTI/AAAAAAAAAAM/ZE7x7h_hJBg/s1600-h/beautyrest.jpg
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on April 6th, 2011, 2:59 am

Oedepus wrote:I really like the strings in this song! specially the music right after "the revolution grows" I've read David discussing this song somewhere, he said something along the lines of Revolution not being a massive thing, but something that happens gradually, little changes. At first glance you'd imagine it's an old story, but it's about personal change in beliefs and growth.

You mention Pan's Labyrinth...I love that film! seen it many times, The Pale Man is one of my favorite sequences in film of all time.

Glad you've seen Pan's Labyrinth. I should watch it again, when the kids are asleep. The Pale Man would scare the pants off them!

I saw DB say something similar to what you described on the Union Chapel video. I'd post a link, but I'm not finding one now on youtube. If I remember correctly, he said something about the revolution including someone seeing the world from a perspective just one or two degrees different than before. You're probably right that the revolution is a metaphor for art raising peoples' consciousness.

The sound to me seems to draw attention to the lyric more than anything. It's a spare little song, clocking at only 2:15, short intro, pop song structure, no coda, no polyrhythms. It does have an interesting little perspective shift, from a 3d person narrator to a 1st person narrator listening to the song at the bar, and back. It's an unlikely story, that country music sung to a group of slovenly bar patrons would change anyone's perspective in the morning. I still wonder why Beauty has such confidence in her power to communicate.

But I picked the song for this week because of the new song from "Here Lies Love" about a bloodless revolution in the Philippines. Here's a link to the performance from the Japan benefit. http://gothamist.com/2011/03/24/video_yo_la_tengo_fred_armisen_and.php#photo-1It annoyingly cuts off in the middle of the song, but you get the gist. The HeLL song reminds me of "Heaven." Everyone pours out into the street like a party, and no one leaves until it's over. :breakdance: Here's wishing it could work out that well every time. :cry:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on April 6th, 2011, 3:04 am

Here's another song, a bit darker, about a popular uprising. It has some great photos from the Egyptian revolution. I think the song is called "Not so Far to Go," but I don't know who wrote it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37kSdjzzoo
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on April 6th, 2011, 3:53 am

Speaking of Egypt:

To whom shall I speak today?
I am laden with misery
Through lack of an intimate ...
Death is in my sight today
Like the clearing of the sky,
Like a man attracted thereby to
What he knows not.

Death is in my sight today,
Like the longing of a man to see home
When he has spent many years held in
captivity.

Anon
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on April 8th, 2011, 3:10 am

s!mbells wrote:Hey...hey......

""Beauty rests on mattress springs, wearing just her underthings"" - super clever, truly poetic but so odd....(he seems to break it down to the essentials, then create something special, unique...)

It's these type of lyrics that separates DB from the rest....and he gets away with it. Rock's Renaissance man :rockdude:

Cheers. :biere:

Hey, hey, S!mbells!

Odd is a relative concept. The stuff they play on the radio seems way more odd to me! But I admire how DB was able to tap into his idiosyncracies to create interesting music and lyrics. So many people spend their lives imitating others. Maybe if they'd knock that off, we'd all feel more comfortable around each other. :coffee:

I'm using "The Revolution" to plan a revolt over here. I am a nonessential federal employee, and I may have a lot of time on my hands starting Monday. (I'm not sure whether the world press is covering the US budget nonsense, but if our Congress fails to pass a budget tomorrow, about 800,000 "nonessential" federal employees will be furloughed on Monday). What's the best way to bring the revolution to the U.S.? Is there any way to communicate with Republicans? (Are they called Tories in Australia as in the U.K.?) Why can't they understand that it is the government that keeps cadmium out of the baby formula? "The Revolution" implies that changing hearts may be more important than changing minds. Okay, so I'm feeling like this: :2up: , but that's probably not the best approach. Thinking. . . .

So far, all I have is this:
Some civil servants are just like my loved ones
They work so hard, and they try to be strong
I'm a lucky guy to live in my building
They all need buildings to help them along.

Thinking. . . . .
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on April 8th, 2011, 3:17 am

Oedepus wrote:Speaking of Egypt:

To whom shall I speak today?
I am laden with misery
Through lack of an intimate ...
Death is in my sight today
Like the clearing of the sky,
Like a man attracted thereby to
What he knows not.

Death is in my sight today,
Like the longing of a man to see home
When he has spent many years held in
captivity.

Anon

Aftershocks in Japan today: "The wrong that roams the earth, there can be no end to it. It is just unstoppable."

Here's another song mentioning home, but this time home is not heaven, but just death. Makes sense in a way- before we were born, we were not. Returning to oblivion would be like a homecoming, I guess. Wish I could be cool with that idea, but I'm more in the camp of "better to burn than to disappear." Not mature, but there it is. :?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on April 9th, 2011, 5:18 am

s!mbells wrote: Sometimes I feel the decisions with these issues have already been made - along time ago, but a process needs to take place (what ever that may be).....

The main Parties in Oz are: Liberals (Right wing) and Labor (Left wing) - although the lines are blurred between left and right (I feel). There are also the Greens and Nationals, and various Independents. Independents played a key role in determining the current Labor government.

i will check out the news but please keep us up to date with any current info or outcome.

You were right, the drama just needed to play itself out. Our fearless leaders cut a deal less than one hour before the government was scheduled to shut down. Still, it feels like our politics are broken when both parties are willing to play chicken like this. Makes me think "terrorists are acting out of love, sweet love to bring us home again.". Our politics aren't about policy anymore, just cultural and class warfare. I remember when democrats and republicans used to debate issues rather than just demonizing each other. No idea how we could get back there from here though. I had some ideas for how to make some noise during a shutdown, but now I'm back to the drawing board. On the bright side, I'm employed. Thinking...

Liberals versus labor sounds delightful to me. But our liberals are on the left.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on April 9th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Anybody have a song for next week?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on April 10th, 2011, 3:38 am

Surprise us!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on April 10th, 2011, 4:42 pm

s!mbells wrote:That's great news re budget has been passed. Safe, for now. Maybe the song of the week should be The Democratic Circus?

I'd like to explore "I Fell My Stuff" from Everything That Happens... (or The Great Curve....or the Democratic Circus - does it have to be a DB song?)

My reason for this choice ("I Fell My Stuff") - I have no idea what it's about an need help! it's a great song - so rich (lyrically and sonically).

I fear "The Democratic Circus" would set me on a week-long rant after this shutdown drama, so maybe we'll put a pin in that one. Doesn't have to be a DB song. I think we've done a TH song before. But let's try "I Feel My Stuff" this week. Not sure I can shed much light on the lyric, but it's worth a closer look. I'll start a new thread after the kids go to bed, unless you start one first! :breakdance:
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on April 21st, 2011, 5:49 am

At times I felt like I needed to apologize for how accessible the songs were sounding. But then I realized that this is what they wanted to be. Like the song "The Revolution" implies, I somehow imagine that a real revolution is won by seduction, by winning over not just the mind, but the body and the senses as well. And that the sadness of some of these melodies are countered by the vigor and persistence of the groove.

—DB
Jan. 22, 2001
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Return to DAVID BYRNE