Song of the Week- March 13- "Miss America"

Rock's Renaissance Man

Re: Song of the Week- March 13- "Miss America"

Postby Aspiemom on March 18th, 2011, 2:12 am

Oedepus wrote:I'm going through everything chronologically, Uh-Oh is still a bit far, since I got a few unplugged sessions before that one, but so far I love Now I'm your mom, Girls on my mind, Hanging upside down and A Walk in the dark!

The Angels video has vanished, but I saw it last year at a site called Spike. Yeah there's a lot of spinning, and each lyric is somewhat represented, something that I found rather interesting was Byrne spinning in the supermarket covered in tin foil (during the version of myself lyric)

And Back in the box is right here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=612A0BPZ

thanks to Ruben!

Glad you have a plan. It sounds like fun! Thanks for finding the "Back in the Box" video for me, and thanks, Ruben, for uploading it. I won't spend more time looking for "Angels" for awhile if it has vanished. :(
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Aspiemom on March 19th, 2011, 8:51 pm

s!mbells wrote: America is a super power with great global influence so it's not a light subject matter - but who doesn't feel good listening to it?

Re gender specific: I agree Mr. America just doesn't work, but once again, using your words as the premise then I feel the song is not really gender specific rather a gender has been chosen as the vehicle to deliver the message. What gender are the people in power (without being sexist)? Historically, what gender were the people in power?

I'm with you on the feel good part. The song is a romp. U.S. residents are strongly divided on the issue of patriotism and whether the county should be criticized. Those on the left, who may be more critical of the country's behavior, often use humor and irony to make their points. :blbl: Those on the right find this smug and elitist. Which is a fair response to being mocked, I guess. I'm thinking this song wouldn't go over well with our Tea Partiers, for example.

Oedepus, we never got around to that final harmony. I'm noticing that the harmony tends to move in parallel directions- i.e. DB sings higher, the woman sings higher too. This is contrary to how composers are taught to write harmonies. The harmonizer is supposed to move conversely to the melody most of the time. Maybe the harmony is popping because of the timbral differences in the two voices. DB has a voice I'd describe as reedy, like a clarinet. The woman on the Feelings album has a fuller voice, almost like a gospel singer's. Because the two voices sound so different, they don't blend together into one sound. You hear both voices clearly the whole time. :coffee:

"The Rose Tattoo" for next week?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on March 20th, 2011, 12:04 am

Aspiemom wrote:Oedepus, we never got around to that final harmony. I'm noticing that the harmony tends to move in parallel directions- i.e. DB sings higher, the woman sings higher too. This is contrary to how composers are taught to write harmonies. The harmonizer is supposed to move conversely to the melody most of the time. Maybe the harmony is popping because of the timbral differences in the two voices. DB has a voice I'd describe as reedy, like a clarinet. The woman on the Feelings album has a fuller voice, almost like a gospel singer's. Because the two voices sound so different, they don't blend together into one sound. You hear both voices clearly the whole time. :coffee:

That's right, I love how it sounds. It's quited hard to duplicate as well, at least 100%
in the visible man remix the woman sings that part alone, it's good for listening how the structure is, but you totally miss DB's voice, as it's what makes it so special.

Aspiemom wrote:"The Rose Tattoo" for next week?

Yes! :D
Howdy-do? This is Peter McCalister, the FATHER. I'd like a hotel room,
please, with an extra-large bed, a TV, and one of those little
refrigerators that you have to open with a key. Credit card? You got it!
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Oedepus on May 20th, 2011, 3:46 am

I just started watching the "Big Love" tv series, and guess what song they used for the credits at the pilot? none other than this one :respect:
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 20th, 2011, 5:01 am

Oedepus wrote:I just started watching the "Big Love" tv series, and guess what song they used for the credits at the pilot? none other than this one :respect:

No way! That's perfect! Have you gotten to the "Big Love Hymnal" yet? I keep hearing it on NPR. But "Miss America" isn't on the album.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Oedepus on May 20th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Yes! I wonder if that's one of the reasons David picked up on the show ;)

I heard Big Love Hymnal about 2 weeks ago, and unwrapped the cd last week, the design is quite nice, so far all the todomundo titles are digipacks. I expected a standard jewel case when I ordered it but I must say the slim digipack fits nicely with the rest.

I really liked the cd, my favorite track is "Deep Water" I read David wanted to make miniature mormon hymns, but I imagine something quite different in my mind and it works quite well. Of all the instrumental albums, I think my top choice is Big Love.

In fact, I'm doing something with David and TH I had never done with an artist before, and that is re-play it all after having finished listening to it. It was so good I couldn't wait to hear it all again, I'm currently at Speaking in tongues.
Oedepus
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on May 22nd, 2011, 5:13 am

I think Deep Water sounds like a famous "Ave Maria.". I wonder whether that was intended. Intriguing title.

You're systematic in your listening. I usually just spin whatever is playing in my head.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Previous

Return to DAVID BYRNE