Vote OBAMA! (from DB himself)

Rock's Renaissance Man

Vote OBAMA! (from DB himself)

Postby muleskinner on November 4th, 2008, 11:29 am

Don't know if this went out only to US purchasers of "...everything that happens...":

Pardon the bulk mailing. I Can't Vote. I am an immigrant with a Green Card and, therefore, I am not eligible to vote in a federal election. FYI - I can get drafted (luckily, Daniel Berrigan burned my draft board's records) and I pay taxes, yet I cannot vote for President. On Election Day, I see my neighbors heading to the nearby elementary school to cast their ballots. The voting booth joint is a great leveler; the whole neighborhood - rich, poor, old, young, decrepit and spunky - they all turn out in one day.

But most of you can vote. What can I say? The Republicans have made us less safe than before 9/11, bankrupted this economy, started an illegal war they can't - and don't intend to - finish, removed what sympathy (after 9/11) and respect the world had for the US, and have robbed US citizens of many of their basic rights. Global warming? What's that? Science and education? Investment in our future? No, thanks - we'll stick with a good 'ole hockey mom. Ignorant, and fucking proud of it, as is always the case.

Although it looks like a shoo-in, it ain't over 'til Florida. And there are plenty of racists in this country who will vote against their own best interests. So please, get to your local elementary school, post office, town hall, or whatever, and cast your vote and make this a country we can all be proud of. We can get out of this mess, and life can be better than it is.

David Byrne
NYC

This is an outbound e-mail only and replies will not be responded to or reviewed.
You may unsubscribe from this David Byrne email list at any time.
This email was sent on behalf of David Byrne by Topspin.
muleskinner
Radio Head

Re: Vote OBAMA! (from DB himself)

Postby laidbak_bb on November 4th, 2008, 3:09 pm

i received this email too.

if McCain wins i hope DB responds at the following day's show by doing a special performance of "Road to Nowhere".
laidbak_bb
Mojique

Postby Mr.DRC on November 4th, 2008, 3:12 pm

or "Take Me To The River"
Don't bother hauling me out...
"DB"
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Chris on November 4th, 2008, 3:48 pm

[quote="muleskinner"]Don't know if this went out only to US purchasers of "...everything that happens...":

Pardon the bulk mailing. I Can't Vote. I am an immigrant with a Green Card and, therefore, I am not eligible to vote in a federal election. FYI - I can get drafted (luckily, Daniel Berrigan burned my draft board's records) and I pay taxes, yet I cannot vote for President. On Election Day, I see my neighbors heading to the nearby elementary school to cast their ballots. The voting booth joint is a great leveler; the whole neighborhood - rich, poor, old, young, decrepit and spunky - they all turn out in one day.

But most of you can vote. What can I say? The Republicans have made us less safe than before 9/11, bankrupted this economy, started an illegal war they can't - and don't intend to - finish, removed what sympathy (after 9/11) and respect the world had for the US, and have robbed US citizens of many of their basic rights. Global warming? What's that? Science and education? Investment in our future? No, thanks - we'll stick with a good 'ole hockey mom. Ignorant, and fucking proud of it, as is always the case.

Although it looks like a shoo-in, it ain't over 'til Florida. And there are plenty of racists in this country who will vote against their own best interests. So please, get to your local elementary school, post office, town hall, or whatever, and cast your vote and make this a country we can all be proud of. We can get out of this mess, and life can be better than it is.

David Byrne
NYC

Aww.C'mon David. You have lived in this country for over fifty years. You could have applied for citizenship many years ago. Why the immigrant schtick? ? Many immigrants have become citizens and can and will vote.
Mystic Bowie of Tom Tom Club, who was born in St. Elizabeth,Jamaica has recently became a US citizen and voted early in this election. You could have done that, too. What's the deal, man? Sheesh. Whatevs. Excuse me while I vote for OBAMA.

Chris Frantz
Cock Island, CT
Chris
Drummer

Postby sittingduck on November 4th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Another possibility: Don't Worry About the Gov't, with a new sense of unstable irony
Say something once, why say it again?
sittingduck
Ruby Dear

Postby Orbmanelson on November 4th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Hey Mr. Pitiful, Et Al , (I suspect you are out there somewhere)

Check out this info if you have an opportunity, it is a design I came up with for reclaiming the essence of a true democracy:

http://www.authenticvote.com

As always amazed by what you do,

PhantomXray (Orbman)
Orbmanelson
Little Creature

Postby DinaFolke on November 4th, 2008, 7:14 pm

I have to say I was not surprised to find this email when I came into work today. I had just log on after really enjoying his show yesterday. What really surprised me was how in one sentence he just totally dismissed people who see things differently then him:

"And there are plenty of racists in this country who will vote against their own best interests"

You can respond and dismiss me also; I am just saying I didn't expect that from David. I always credited his music as teaching me how to see things from another's eyes.
DinaFolke
Little Creature

Postby reno on November 4th, 2008, 7:37 pm

Can't help but agree with CF here - DB has been in the country long enough! However, I really like the sentiment. Even though I'm not a US citizen or even live in the US (maybe one day...) I strongly believe this election effects all of us.
reno
Television man

Postby Mr.DRC on November 4th, 2008, 8:13 pm

David, David....

I see the states ,across this big nation
I see the laws made in Washington,D.C.
I think of the ones I consider my favourites
I think of the people that are working for me

Well, they're not really are they? If you can't vote for em,and your still on the ol' Green Card,then
its the fine upstanding Citizens(steady, Frantz lad)they're working for-no matter how much the IRS claw from you.

Don-telling it like it is-C
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby junobear on November 4th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Yep, while the spirit of yr message is pitch perfect, David, the green-card thing rings hollow. 50 years? Is there a reason you never wanted citizenship and the right to vote? In this instance, I think it would be good to Start Making Sense. I recommend you apply.
junobear
Little Creature

Postby iRene on November 4th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I'm shocked! :shock:
Browsing this topic while listening to Patti Smith singing "[i]The people have the power to redeem the work of fools."
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby labrador on November 4th, 2008, 9:51 pm

There are many people outside the U.S. who feel the entire world should get to vote for
The President since who ever that is can rain hell on us. In Canada, we are more
concerned about this than about our own government. So having something
to say about it doesn't require citizenship.

I've always seen David as a Canadian or Brit who loves the U.S.A. culture. That doesn't
mean he should sign up to serve for the country which is home to that culture. Citizenship
is much more involved than getting the right to vote, and there are good reasons to
avoid getting tied down with the wrong one (travel to Cuba being possible is one).
labrador
Mojique

Postby reno on November 4th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Good post Labrador, some interesting thoughts there. And I completely agree with what you say about the election affecting the whole world!
reno
Television man

Postby Peterb on November 5th, 2008, 4:32 am

That is so cool to read Chris Frantz writing to David Byrne in this forum.

I'm in Australia, and they are covering the US election on TV right at this minute. US politics effect the whole world, especially Australia. Looks like Obama will win. Here's hoping.

Good to see DB rallying folks; loads of artists express their political views, there's nothing wrong with that.

Hey Chris, play the "Warning Sign" beat and put the wah-wah effect on the snare. :rockdude: You and Tina were/are the best goddamn rhythm section ever!

Cheers

Peter in Australia
Peterb
Bob / Judy

Postby sittingduck on November 5th, 2008, 6:57 am

Nervous all day, but we had it clinched with Ohio. Anybody catch his speech? Great speaker. Nobody more deserving to be president (cept maybe DB). We still have two months or so of the Bush Administration, but the change is gonna come (like Sam Cooke sang in '63). YES WE CAN!!!
Say something once, why say it again?
sittingduck
Ruby Dear

Postby francey on November 5th, 2008, 9:05 am

Congrats to all voters in the U.S. of A.! Being 6-10 hours ahead of the states it cost me most of my nightrest before I could go to bed knowing all was gonna be alright, but it was worth it. Great choice, folks :D
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Chris on November 5th, 2008, 2:58 pm

francey wrote:Congrats to all voters in the U.S. of A.! Being 6-10 hours ahead of the states it cost me most of my nightrest before I could go to bed knowing all was gonna be alright, but it was worth it. Great choice, folks :D

NEW FEELING!!!!!!!
Chris
Drummer

Postby reno on November 5th, 2008, 8:29 pm

I hardly slept as I was constantly checking the online news. I'm so happy, as crass as that sounds, its the truth. Don't want to sound patronising but I'm just so proud of my American cousins, I knew you'd do the right thing.

Love and peace and looking forward to the future, Rich x
reno
Television man

Postby Nature Boy on November 6th, 2008, 7:09 pm

So sad to see Chris still doggin' David every chance he gets !! :bawling:
Nature Boy

Postby Ruben on November 7th, 2008, 12:49 am

Nature Boy wrote:So sad to see Chris still doggin' David every chance he gets !! :bawling:

:-O
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Next

Return to DAVID BYRNE