Tom Tom Club & Close to the Bone Deluxe 2CD set!

Wordy Rapping with Chris and Tina

Re: Tom Tom Club & Close to the Bone Deluxe 2CD set!

Postby KennyG on May 20th, 2009, 10:42 am

Just got this yesterday - it's a very impressive set. Both albums sound very faithful to the original vinyl editions and it's great to have some of the rarer B-sides on CD quality at last.

The accompanying essay is great and there are some excellent photographs which I haven't see before in the booklet.

There are a few niggles though:
1. An error in the tracklisting means that 'Under the Boardwalk' and 'On, On, On, On {Remix)' are listed in the wrong order on the packaging.
2. The discs are pretty packed but Lorelei Instrumental could easily have fitted on the remaining space on disc 1. Can't work out how they could crowbar the long version of 'Genius of Love' and the 12" remix of 'Wordy Rappinghood' on though!

All in all, it's a great package. :biere:
KennyG
Little Creature

Postby francey on May 20th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Just got my copy too - excellent set with beatiful booklet, the right treatment for the ttc/cttb tandem. This will get me through the summer for sure.

I noticed the reversal of "Boardwalk" and "On On On On" in the tracklisting too; luckily they're in the right order on the disk (EP A-side Boardwalk first, B-side 2 remixes next). Oh well, let's consider it an easter egg for those who pay attention...

Most of the photo's in the booklet I never saw before and the essay is a great read. Funny to see my own single sleeves printed on the last page :-)

Anyway, if in doubt about ordering this - don't. Get it. Now.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby KennyG on May 21st, 2009, 5:33 pm

In fairness, it's not just your singles, your name is all over the booklet credits. :lol:
KennyG
Little Creature

Postby francey on May 23rd, 2009, 8:21 am

KennyG wrote:In fairness, it's not just your singles, your name is all over the booklet credits. :lol:

...where's that blush emoticon...? :oops:

Great review on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R14YAKRUT0NK02/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
francey
Site Admin

Postby IPutThisMoment on June 3rd, 2009, 7:48 pm

$28.50 at Amazon.com? Slightly cheaper ( x bad exchange rate)+ mega-expensive airmail at Amazon.co.uk? Damn.

Know of any plans for a US release of the deluxe edition?
IPutThisMoment
Little Creature

Postby bigideas on June 15th, 2009, 9:10 pm

will this be officially released in the US or can i only get an import via Amazon US?
bigideas
Ruby Dear

Postby francey on June 15th, 2009, 9:49 pm

bigideas wrote:will this be officially released in the US or can i only get an import via Amazon US?

So far it looks like a UK-only release, but Chris may know more.

I've tried to get a box of copies to sell on Tom Tom Club's official site at a reasonable price, but the wholesale price Universal NL charges me as an indie record store is even higher than Amazon UK's salesprice, even for a big order. I guess they're too busy wondering why their CD's don't sell rather than exploiting the best sales channel they can get for a niche release like this. I went on a little trip to 5 record stores in the area today, and none stock the TTC Deluxe... (I didn't even bother to ask my dear colleagues about it...)

Meanwhile, I'm getting copies for my own record store from the UK (the so-called 'grey circuit'), and sold quite some copies on personal recommendation and by just playing it. Shipping to the US is rather expensive as the set is a wee bit too heavy to ship as a standard letter - how much is Amazon.co.uk charging for shipping to the US...?
francey
Site Admin

Previous

Return to TOM TOM CLUB