Bring Talking Heads back for one more gig!

The band and their music

Bring Talking Heads back for one more gig!

Postby thundersweep on May 2nd, 2010, 1:56 pm

Join us here ! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 378&ref=mf - Spread the word!...
thundersweep
Little Creature

Re: Bring Talking Heads back for one more gig!

Postby Animal Boy on May 3rd, 2010, 1:53 pm

Four things

1.No
2.You could get 30 million members & I still don't think it would matter.
3.Why just go for one more show & not a tour?
4.This topic seems like it was made just to promote your group.

:coffee:
Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby Buglet on May 3rd, 2010, 7:32 pm

Much as I love Talking Heads and my sweetie David Byrne, I do not want them to get back together at all. Not one gig. Not one tour. Just not.

David has made it quite clear that he won't do it and I'm sure he has his reasons for that. Why would anyone, especially a Talking Heads fan, want to force them to do something they will not enjoy and that may well damage their relationship even further?
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby francey on May 4th, 2010, 10:07 am

Now would be the time to do a big reunion tour - a lot of (80's) bands are doing it, and with success. Get over things that happened 20+ years ago and start making sense: there's a lot of people willing to spend a small fortune on tickets to see Talking Heads, and those who feel it's not a good idea can keep their money in their pocket and ignore the circus. Touring with the classic songs is the only way to keep the legacy alive, now that the music itself has been degradated to mistitled mp3s on Russian download sites.
Where can I sign up to travel along to run the merchandise stand?
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Buglet on May 4th, 2010, 11:09 am

But what if someone can't get over the past? I don't know what went on between them behind closed doors, but it must have been pretty bad for it to have made the band implode as it did.

Money should never be a motivation for reforming, and David's collaberations with young new bands has brought the Talking Heads legacy bang up to date. I really don't see what a forced reunion would achieve, bar a lot of negative tension and increasingly hostile division.

Having said that, were they to not only put the past behind them but actually feel the desire to reform I would be at the front of the queue for tickets.

;)
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby fredd2332 on May 4th, 2010, 2:21 pm

The band didn't implode. Only David left. Tina, Chris, and Jerry have made it quite clear that they were (are?) ready willing and able to play as Talking Heads again.

But alas, I can't imagine David working with them again because of his ego.
fredd2332
Ruby Dear

Postby Buglet on May 4th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I don't believe that the end of Talking Heads was all David's doing, nor do I believe that his 'ego' is the sole obstacle to their reformation. David and Jerry are still on good terms, and I've not heard if he has ever attempted to take on the role of a relationship counselor with a view to getting the four of them into the same room without claws being drawn. Maybe Jerry knows better than to open up old wounds, wounds that really should be left alone...

I've never understood why David is demonised to the extent that he is. He didn't just wake up one morning and decide to break up the band.

At the end of the day it's down to them to work it out between themselves, and nothing we say on a website will make any difference.
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Animal Boy on May 4th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Buglet wrote:He didn't just wake up one morning and decide to break up the band.

I don't favor either side more then the other but how do we know he didn't?

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby fredd2332 on May 4th, 2010, 8:23 pm

If I recall correctly, David said in an interview that Talking Heads were no more and that was how Jerry, Chris and Tina found out. There was no group discussion. I don't want to "demonize" David. They are all human and they all have flaws, I guess. I can only speculate that the tension in the group was really between just two individuals and those two just need to kiss (on the cheek) and make up.

I agree with you Buglet, that nothing we can say will make any difference.

Oh and if they ever get together again, I hope they dye their hair. ;-)
fredd2332
Ruby Dear

Postby jd23 on May 5th, 2010, 5:37 pm

He didn't just wake up one morning and decide to break up the band.

I could kinda imagine him doing just that. Waking up and going "hmm, I think I want to do something else today". Just kidding, a funny thought if only it was true.

Although I agree that they should not get back together, even though I never got to see them live. :(

When did the rest of the band say they were up for a reunion?, I think I missed that one :|
jd23
Ruby Dear

Postby mscott on May 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Bring the TH back for 2 new albums (small band and big band) with a tour to promote but not just a tour to remember the 80's

They were too ahead of their time for that

MICK
mscott
Radio Head

Postby Animal Boy on May 5th, 2010, 8:25 pm

jd23 wrote:
He didn't just wake up one morning and decide to break up the band.

When did the rest of the band say they were up for a reunion?, I think I missed that one :|

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/10/13/talk ... s-reunion/

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby thundersweep on May 5th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Hi everyone, I must say its very interesting reading the different views people have. I pesonally would be one of the first in the queue, I also think Talking Heads would have a brand new following if they were to tour again, my 14 year old daughter for one would love to see them live, like someone has said they were way ahead of their time! :)
thundersweep
Little Creature

Postby Buglet on May 5th, 2010, 11:36 pm

fredd2332 wrote: I can only speculate that the tension in the group was really between just two individuals and those two just need to kiss (on the cheek) and make up.

I think I know which other member you mean, and that further underlines the negative division within the band. Loyalties run deep, so it was never going to be one against one.

Maybe it's just that I'm a big David fan and enjoy what he's done since the split. Or maybe I've seen too many aging rockstars reform their bands only to show that they're just not up to the job anymore. I think I'd rather just remember the good times...
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Animal Boy on May 6th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Buglet wrote:
fredd2332 wrote: I can only speculate that the tension in the group was really between just two individuals and those two just need to kiss (on the cheek) and make up.

I think I'd rather just remember the good times...

But there are some of us who can't remember the good times. I was only 9 when they broke up.

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby bobcharriot on May 14th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Guys

Life too short to be bitter ! They need to put there diffrences to one side and acknowledge what there die hard Fans would realy wish for

It would be awsome to see them all reunited and headling glastonbury in the Uk

Come on guys get your shit together..................and do a tour

Rant over
The PSA
bobcharriot
Little Creature

Postby junkanoooo on May 18th, 2010, 8:30 pm

In a perfect world they would include several small to mid-sized venues...I like the DB shows now, with pretty much only true fans and good people in attendance and am sure the animals would come out to here Swamp and And She Was but I'd be there over and over
junkanoooo
Mojique

Postby Buck's Student on October 2nd, 2011, 5:58 am

I thought I would put in my two cents into this old, dusty thread. Not much is going on here, lately; this may generate some posts.

I respect what David does. He makes the music he loves, doesn't make too much money, and doesn't charge much for his shows. The feeling I got what that the Talking Heads would be given oodles of dough for a few gigs, but that's when I would draw the line. I'm glad David did. It's been many years since they were together making new music, and it wouldn't make sense for them to try it again twenty years later. If Paul, John, George, and Ringo got together a year before John was shot, the world would go ga-ga, but they couldn't make a real Beatles album. Then again, Primus just made a new album after ten years, and it sounds pretty good.

Chris, Tina, and Jerry have made their own music, and it's all very good (I'm not a huge fan of the poppier TTC stuff, though). If I were them, I would continue to make my good music, because they have a chance to make their own mark too.

As far as the band's reasons for breaking up... If David Byrne did it, I can't blame him. It didn't seem that they got along, he had other interests, and they seemed to have other interests too. What's the problem with breaking up? It is the money? :| Just do what you love... Though, I think The Heads could have used Adrian Belew on vocals and guitar for some things... 8-)
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby thxforsendmeanangel on October 7th, 2011, 9:05 pm

This article was posted this summer where David again dismisses a reunion. He does rather cryptically mention that the offers seem to have dried up. I almost wonder if he mentions the lack of offers as an incintive for promoters to begin the offers again, like he almost is fanning the flames of a reunion. I know it's a stretch, but a Talking Heads fan can dream right?

http://www.fansshare.com/news/david-byr ... s-reunion/
thxforsendmeanangel
Little Creature

Postby mscott on October 8th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I'd prefer two TH albums big band and small. The artistic friction could work again but I don't think they could tour again together and really a one off concert wouldn't be prepared and tweaked enough.

Of course I'd buy tickets though

Mick
mscott
Radio Head

Next

Return to TALKING HEADS