Stop Making Sense Laserdisc

The band and their music

Stop Making Sense Laserdisc

Postby halflip87 on February 1st, 2010, 8:24 pm

Has/Does anybody own this item? I've been really curious to see and hear what it's all about, mainly for the un-remixed audio.

-Doug
halflip87
Mojique

Re: Stop Making Sense Laserdisc

Postby francey on February 2nd, 2010, 9:27 am

halflip87 wrote:Has/Does anybody own this item? I've been really curious to see and hear what it's all about, mainly for the un-remixed audio.

-Doug

The laserdisk contains the same audio as the VHS and original film version (but a bit better sounding, of course). It's not entirely un-mixed, but a lot more pure than the CD version of the album.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Re: Stop Making Sense Laserdisc

Postby tedkul on February 4th, 2010, 11:28 am

Notes on the Stop Making Sense laserdisc:

-only released in Japan

-undisputed best source for the film WITH the "bonus" songs (Cities & I Zimbra/Big Business) edited back into the film. Personally, I think the film is better WITHOUT these sequences, but I can see why some prefer them this way.

-undisputed best source for the "Full Frame" version of the film. The Laserdisc and original VHS were NOT pan-and-scan versions, but actual full frame versions of the super35mm negative. See here for a more detailed explanation of aspect ratios.

-the laserdisc is the best source for the original sound mix. In addition to some different lyrics in "Genius of Love," a number of "thank yous" are noticably different in the original mix, and certain "accidents" (like Byrne dropping the microphone) use different sound effects. Personally I prefer this mix to any of the three included with the DVD/Blu-Ray releases. To my ears, a certain amount of revisionism went into the 1999 mixes, which seem to be more spacious and "edgier" than the denser more "groovy" 1984 mix. Differences that stand out, off the top of my head, are the much quieter rhythm guitar on "Burning Down the House" and the much louder rhythmic accents played by Jerry Harrison on "Making Flippy Floppy."
tedkul
Bob / Judy

Return to TALKING HEADS