Does the dutch SMS DVD run too fast?

The band and their music

Does the dutch SMS DVD run too fast?

Postby warsaw77 on December 22nd, 2009, 9:28 pm

Hello all,

I do hope this was not asked before (I did a quicksearch but to no result). Anyway: I do have the dutch dvd of sms (unforunately not the british one, which is a bit hard to get here in Austria), and while picture and sound are top notch, I am sure that the music runs faster than the SMS CD I have (the 1999 version). Maybe a transformation issue? Its not that it would sound unusual (e.g. Davids voice) - in fact, I prefer the faster Found A Job / Life During Wartime / Making Flippy Floppy to the CD Version (now don't get me started on "edits"... ;)), so maybe its some weird transformation issue. Or are the CD Versions of e.g. Found A Job that much different?

E.g. the dutch version of Sign Of the Times IS too fast, and I fear the same happened here. Which would be shame because its these versions I mostly fell in love with ;)

The manufacturer is "Video Film Express". Package/design from 2008.

Greetings from austria!
warsaw77
Little Creature

Re: Does the dutch SMS DVD run too fast?

Postby francey on December 23rd, 2009, 2:22 pm

Video Film Express is a low-budget label, I don't think they paid any attention to the sound or vision or synchronisation or speed or anything, really. I have several versions of the SMS DVD, and have to admit I never noticed any difference in speed (only in lack of bonus features). If they did a 1-on-1 transfer from the American NTSC master to European PAL, that might be the source of any differences in speed as both systems have a different framerate.
You must keep in mind however that the audio for the DVD was differently mixed and mastered than the audio on CD, although you'd expect the 1999 Cd to be faster as they stuffed more tracks in 74 minutes...
Maybe check and compare with a stopwatch to make sure...
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Return to TALKING HEADS