Influences/Imitators?

The band and their music

Re: Influences/Imitators?

Postby Paulie on March 5th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Congratulations to Euforquestra - the SMS covers are excellent. Fun, funky and tight as a gnat's chuff. Can you tell us more about the band/concert?
Paulie
Little Creature

Postby remaininlight on March 6th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Another band that came out in 1977 was Television, with Tom Verlaine as the lead vocalist. If you listen to their first album, Marquee Moon, I think you'll hear that these two bands were influencing each other. They both were playing at CBGB's regularly.
remaininlight
Mojique

Postby bigideas on March 17th, 2009, 6:02 pm

remaininlight wrote:Another band that came out in 1977 was Television, with Tom Verlaine as the lead vocalist. If you listen to their first album, Marquee Moon, I think you'll hear that these two bands were influencing each other. They both were playing at CBGB's regularly.

I've known about that album for years, especially since they had the remastered CD come out. I would look at it at Best Buy now and then and would always buy something else. I finally decided I was going to get it and it was gone. Then it seemed to magically show up at the mall's music store with the price jacked up, so I couldn't buy it at that rip off price.

I will get it someday though!

I did recenlty hear a song called "Electric Moon" by Shakespear's Sister in this movie, The Rachel Papers (made in 1989), that I thought was kinda cool. It's kinda got the feel of TH circa Speaking in Tongues.
click. click. see ya later.
bigideas
Ruby Dear

Postby thisheat on October 18th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Always felt some albums from the "pere ubu" discography had a certain something to them
I'd stash them on the same shelf as my TH records, as contemporaries

Again total speculation, but if you're looking for contemporaries who may have been influenced - have a listen to "polyrock", it's closer to TH in sound and spirit than "the pop group" in my view

And for a very abstract experience the liquid sky soundtrack which you may argue has no similarity at all, but kind of reminds me of their creativity

all the best.
thisheat
Little Creature

Postby TotallySurreal on December 24th, 2011, 4:46 am

Just found this thread as I was searching for a similar thing. That is, more specifically, looking for bands/performers influenced by TH.

Amongst those not mentioned here would be Oingo Boingo and especially Danny Elfman's '80s work; also Big Country's sound is unmistakably a Scot's TH; Peter Gabriel definitely jumped on their sound in the mid-'80s, even aping their video style in his most-famous videos; B-52s have a similar sound (and I think I read somewhere were even discovered by TH or a member therein).

That's all I've got.
TotallySurreal
Little Creature

Postby Buck's Student on March 11th, 2012, 9:27 pm

There are a lot of bands the TH influenced, which I ironically do not like. It also seems some people are hearing things from bands that I don't hear. I don't really consider the Stokes or Big Country to sound anything like the TH. *Shrugs* That's just me.

The closest, while still being very much their own band, would be Phish. A Picture of Nector and perhaps Farmhouse are good examples.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Aero on July 10th, 2012, 3:19 am

This Irish band have me confused regarding whether they are imitators or really influenced by Talking Heads???
Have a look...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_SoCCIV ... ature=plcp
Fall on your face you must be having fun.
Aero
Little Creature

Postby Buck's Student on November 4th, 2012, 4:19 am

Phish. Trey Anastasio's favorite band is Talking Heads.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Previous

Return to TALKING HEADS