Stop Making Sense running order?

The band and their music

Stop Making Sense running order?

Postby Stranger on May 9th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Has anyone got the actual running order - based on contemporaneous shows, or the actual shows recorded?

I appreciate there are audience recordings that have torrented as close as October to the SMS shows (which I think were recorded in December?) but someone here must know.

I'm compiling my own definitive audio SMS for my own listening, hence asking.

:)

Oh, and as claimed in the wiki...did TH *really* perform "Uh Oh Love Comes To Town" in Berkeley, as late as '83?

Great song, just seemed the sort of one they'd outgrown by then...would be nice to be corrected / the above to be substantiated, though.
Stranger
Ruby Dear

Re: Stop Making Sense running order?

Postby tedkul on May 18th, 2012, 1:24 am

Based on available tapes, the setlist for the Speaking in Tongues tour was consistently:

Psycho Killer
Heaven
Thank You For Sending Me An Angel
Love->Building On Fire
The Book I Read
Slippery People
Cities
Big Blue Plymouth (Eyes Wide Open)
Burning Down The House
Life During Wartime
Making Flippy Floppy
Swamp
What A Day It Was
Naive Melody (Home Is Where I Want To Be)
Once In A Lifetime
Big Business/I Zimbra
Houses in Motion
Genius of Love
Girlfriend Is Better
Take Me To The River
Crosseyed & Painless
Burning Down the House (reprise)

I've never heard a tape that included "Uh Oh Love Comes to Town"...I think that Wiki's wrong here.

During the press conference on the SMS blu ray, Harrison recalls that he *thinks* that the missing songs (Book I Read, Big Blue Plymouth, Houses in Motion) were NOT filmed. I'd love for someone to confirm that one way or the other.

I once read an interview with Jonathan Demme (that I can no longer find) where he said that he asked them to substitute "Found a Job" for "Love->Building on Fire" in Stop Making Sense because it's his favorite Talking Heads song. Now having seen the 1979 Entermedia footage (on the More Songs About Buildings and Food DVD), I think that Demme had seen that footage and wanted to recreate the three-guitarists line-up dance that he'd seen there. The footage is just so similar.

I hope this helps. I have a similar playlist on my ipod.
tedkul
Bob / Judy

Return to TALKING HEADS