Stop Making Sense running order?

The band and their music

Stop Making Sense running order?

Postby Stranger on May 9th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Has anyone got the actual running order - based on contemporaneous shows, or the actual shows recorded?

I appreciate there are audience recordings that have torrented as close as October to the SMS shows (which I think were recorded in December?) but someone here must know.

I'm compiling my own definitive audio SMS for my own listening, hence asking.

Oh, and as claimed in the wiki...did TH *really* perform "Uh Oh Love Comes To Town" in Berkeley, as late as '83?

Great song, just seemed the sort of one they'd outgrown by then...would be nice to be corrected / the above to be substantiated, though.
Ruby Dear

Re: Stop Making Sense running order?

Postby tedkul on May 18th, 2012, 1:24 am

Based on available tapes, the setlist for the Speaking in Tongues tour was consistently:

Psycho Killer
Thank You For Sending Me An Angel
Love->Building On Fire
The Book I Read
Slippery People
Big Blue Plymouth (Eyes Wide Open)
Burning Down The House
Life During Wartime
Making Flippy Floppy
What A Day It Was
Naive Melody (Home Is Where I Want To Be)
Once In A Lifetime
Big Business/I Zimbra
Houses in Motion
Genius of Love
Girlfriend Is Better
Take Me To The River
Crosseyed & Painless
Burning Down the House (reprise)

I've never heard a tape that included "Uh Oh Love Comes to Town"...I think that Wiki's wrong here.

During the press conference on the SMS blu ray, Harrison recalls that he *thinks* that the missing songs (Book I Read, Big Blue Plymouth, Houses in Motion) were NOT filmed. I'd love for someone to confirm that one way or the other.

I once read an interview with Jonathan Demme (that I can no longer find) where he said that he asked them to substitute "Found a Job" for "Love->Building on Fire" in Stop Making Sense because it's his favorite Talking Heads song. Now having seen the 1979 Entermedia footage (on the More Songs About Buildings and Food DVD), I think that Demme had seen that footage and wanted to recreate the three-guitarists line-up dance that he'd seen there. The footage is just so similar.

I hope this helps. I have a similar playlist on my ipod.
Bob / Judy