New book about Fear of Music album

The band and their music

New book about Fear of Music album

Postby tedkul on May 2nd, 2012, 1:20 am

The newest installment in Continuum publishing 33 1/3 series is by Jonathan Lethem (Author of Kavalier & Clay) and is about Fear of Music. It looks pretty good and is getting a lot of press:

http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/detail.aspx?BookId=136560&SubjectId=1381&Subject2Id=1396

Of particular interest is this podcast:

In which the host discusses the "horns version" of "Pulled Up"!!?? and then emphasizes that it's not available for most people to hear, then PLAYS A BIT OF IT!! Where does this come from??

And there's also a really cool ad for Remain in Light.

http://soundcloud.com/lareviewofbooks/larb-podcast-6-jonathan-lethem
tedkul
Bob / Judy

Re: New book about Fear of Music album

Postby tedkul on May 2nd, 2012, 2:35 am

Sorry, I'm an idiot:

One correction: Jonathan Lethem wrote "Fortress of Solitude" NOT Kavalier and Clay.

One addendum: The "interviewer" of Lethem is Andy Zax, producer of all TH reissues over the last few years.

Thank you.
tedkul
Bob / Judy

Postby Backsliding on May 4th, 2012, 3:39 pm

tedkul, I love this kind of stuff, so thank you for posting; I will order the book and am now, excitedly, about to listen to the podcast - thanks for the Heads up man !
Backsliding
Ruby Dear

Postby Backsliding on May 4th, 2012, 4:58 pm

*footnote*

you're right tedkul, the *reeeeally* interesting thing about that podcast was what the interviewer, Andy Zax, whom you astutely pointed out produced all of Talking Heads reissues in recent times - this guy obviously has the keys to the candy store, he has, or has had, access to the dustiest, most mysterious Talking Heads archives imaginable or otherwise ... *ominous strings ..*

if anyone is vaguely interest, skip to the 47 minute mark of the podcast to listen to Zax talking about this stuff ..

Tedkul, that tantalizing snippet of Pulled Up with horns was pretty cool; I also liked the Remain in Light radio advert with Byrne saying 'Talking Heads have a new album" (as Zax & Lethen discuss, it is similar to the radio bit the band did to promote 'Fear of Music' - we got to hear that advert on the recent 'Chronology' dvd) over the top of a none-too-obvious groove - was it an entirely unique piece of music ? To me it sounded like a mix of 'Unison', one of the out-takes of Remain in Light which was released with the Brick/reissue, with a bit of squiggly synth dubbed on along with Byrne's voice. Pretty cool !

Andy and Jonathon's discussion about the track 'Drugs' is also really interesting, at about 1hr 4minutes into the podcast.
Backsliding
Ruby Dear

Return to TALKING HEADS