Talking Heads SHM-CDs

The band and their music

Talking Heads SHM-CDs

Postby francey on February 8th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Warner Music Japan released six Talking Heads albums on SHM-CD format recently. I've got three of them now and it appears they're available in both cardboard miniature sleeves and jewel cases. I ordered "Remain in Light" through regular distribution channels, and got it in a jewel case. The other two I ordered from Japan directly and they came in special packaging.

Although SHM disks are made from different material then regular CDs, they look, feel and play identical. The strange thing is though, that there is indeed a sound improvement over the same music (the Brick remasters) on the SHM disks. I have no idea how they did it (it's still a laserbeam reading ones and zeros from a plastic disk), but the SHM's sound clearer, and you don't even need super fancy audio equipment to hear the difference. If it's better sounding is up to the individual listener (I like my music muddy and full of bass), but it's strange to experience how different material can make a difference in a digital proces.

But the best thing of the Japanese re-issues is the artwork : All six original Warner releases are available in cardboard replica's now - I got "The Name of This Band", which is packed exactly like the original vinyl in a non-gatefold sleeve with photo strips on both innersleeves. The CDs contains all the bonus tracks from the CD-edition.

Highlight of the series is "Speaking in Tongues", which comes in an almost exact replica of the Grammy award winning Rauschenberg package. Although there's only 1 spinning disk (in stead of 3), the effect remains the same with the yellow and blue disks present but not spinnable. The CD has "Two Note Swivel" and "Burning Down the House (Alternative version)" as bonus tracks and also comes with an extensive lyrics booklet with everything in both English and Japanese. The booklet was done in the design of the "Crosseyed and Painless" promo 12", lightblue/white. And talk about detail: the package includes a replica of the original sticker that came on the shrinkwrap of the 1983 vinyl.

The copycats at Warner Japan messed up at only one point - there's a sticker on the outer plastic saying "songs of david byrne and brian eno" :-)

Anyway, get it if you can - if you thought the Brick editions couldn't be topped, think again.
Attachments
sit2009.jpg
Speaking in Tongues 2009
sit2009.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 13622 times
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Re: Talking Heads SHM-CDs

Postby Chris on February 8th, 2009, 3:28 pm

The copycats at Warner Japan messed up at only one point - there's a sticker on the outer plastic saying "songs of david byrne and brian eno"

Hmmm. I wonder where they got that idea?
Chris
Drummer

Postby Mr.DRC on February 8th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Hmmm. I wonder where they got that idea ?

Don't be bold. You'll go to bed with no supper, my lad! :lol:
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Mr.DRC on February 8th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Over in This Weeks Spotting I mentioned DB telling a journo "We've" asked for WBros to release the
buried in the vaults TH material.I wonder,very tentatively,if the SHM-CDs are a precursor to... :idea: :?: :!:

p.s. Did you order 77,Frank? I bet the sleeve looks like my Avatar :respect:

Don
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Mr.DRC on February 8th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Anyway,get it if you can...

cdjapan have already flagged-up SIT and RIL as unavailable. This combo must be quite popular ;)

(That attachment of SIT is spooky-seems to follow you around the room...)
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby francey on February 9th, 2009, 10:58 am

It looks like the "songs of david byrne and brian eno" sticker is on every one of the six re-issues, so although not correct for 77 and SiT, it's probably just lazy marketing.
francey
Site Admin

Postby francey on February 9th, 2009, 11:17 am

Mr.DRC wrote:cdjapan have already flagged-up SIT and RIL as unavailable. This combo must be quite popular ;)

http://www.amazon.co.jp -> search for "talking heads" seems to have both SiT and RiL, although I don't understand a character of the Japanese text on there... (and as far as I can tell, they hid the button "English version" behind Japanese characters as well...)
francey
Site Admin

Postby Chris on February 9th, 2009, 2:23 pm

francey wrote:It looks like the "songs of david byrne and brian eno" sticker is on every one of the six re-issues, so although not correct for 77 and SiT, it's probably just lazy marketing.

Whatever the reason, the name of this band is Talking Heads and these songs are the songs of Talking Heads.
Chris
Drummer

Postby elbakan on February 9th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Chris wrote:
francey wrote:It looks like the "songs of david byrne and brian eno" sticker is on every one of the six re-issues, so although not correct for 77 and SiT, it's probably just lazy marketing.

Whatever the reason, the name of this band is Talking Heads and these songs are the songs of Talking Heads.

We hear you Chris--you have every right to complain. The sticker markets the dates that David's tour was in Japan in January 2009. So it's bad cross marketing--Didn't David wanted to market ETHWHT and the tour virally?
elbakan
Radio Head

Postby francey on February 9th, 2009, 9:05 pm

elbakan wrote:We hear you Chris--you have every right to complain. The sticker markets the dates that David's tour was in Japan in January 2009. So it's bad cross marketing--Didn't David wanted to market ETHWHT and the tour virally?

Ah, *now* I get it... I didn't realize the tourdates were on the sticker... and since db's tour is titled "the songs of db & be", the sticker doesn't directly refer to the album, it's just an ad for the shows... bad cross-marketing indeed.

Frank
(peeling the silly stickers off of his CDs)
francey
Site Admin

Postby Mr.DRC on February 10th, 2009, 10:42 am

"Mmm.Perhaps a slightly different complexion on the matter."
The Avon Lady

It would have been nice if they had REALLY been * The Tour Edition * ...sigh.
The Severe Weather Warning in Hell Man

Don
(Making TTC World Tour Dates stickers for the pending TH/TTC Unreleased Material Box Set )
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby folon on February 13th, 2009, 10:00 am

Does anyone know a (reasonably priced) online store that still has the "Speaking in Tongues" SHM-CD in stock? I was not able to find anything...
folon
Little Creature

Postby francey on February 13th, 2009, 1:16 pm

folon wrote:Does anyone know a (reasonably priced) online store that still has the "Speaking in Tongues" SHM-CD in stock? I was not able to find anything...

I saw some on eBay earlier this week, but if it's for you depends on your definition of reasonable...
francey
Site Admin

Postby folon on February 13th, 2009, 2:30 pm

francey wrote:
folon wrote:Does anyone know a (reasonably priced) online store that still has the "Speaking in Tongues" SHM-CD in stock? I was not able to find anything...

I saw some on eBay earlier this week, but if it's for you depends on your definition of reasonable...

I have seen some of the ebay auctions, I was trying to find an online store... $30 to $40 US plus shipping, ie. near the original selling price would be reasonable for me.
folon
Little Creature

Postby francey on February 13th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Have you tried this one yet? Maybe email them in English to find out of they can still deliver it (site is Japanese only as far a I can see) http://diskunion.net/
francey
Site Admin

Postby folon on February 13th, 2009, 6:13 pm

francey wrote:Have you tried this one yet? Maybe email them in English to find out of they can still deliver it (site is Japanese only as far a I can see) http://diskunion.net/

thanks for your help. Using Google translate, I get the following result: "This product is temporarily out of stock already." :evil:
folon
Little Creature

Postby francey on February 23rd, 2009, 7:05 pm

Just got home and found a parcel with "talking heads:77", "more songs" and "fear of music", all SHm in cardboard miniature sleeves. Paid for the slowest shipping method, and still it got here, other end of the world, in less than a week. Anyway... the replica sleeve of FoM is embossed just like the original vinyl, very nice. FoM has 4 bonus tracks, MSaB&F also 4 and 77 comes with 5 extra tracks. All three CDs have the misplaced ad-sticker for the "songs of db & be tour". Funny detail: as only one in the series, the OBI-strip of FoM reads "Sound of 80's".
francey
Site Admin

Postby Peterb on February 24th, 2009, 12:35 am

Ooh, what are the bonus tracks Francey? What songs?

Peter
Peterb
Bob / Judy

Postby Mr.DRC on February 24th, 2009, 10:49 am

Francey wrote:
the OBI-strip of FoM reads "Sound of 80's"

Fear of Seventies?

That pun up to scratch,Richard? :blbl:
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Mr.DRC on February 24th, 2009, 12:18 pm

scratch ?

"Ye Gods! Will he ever cease and desist?!"
Oscar WildWildLife (Back from a bracing holiday,FV ;) )
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Next

Return to TALKING HEADS