Rolling Stone Gives "Chronology" Highest Marks

The band and their music

Rolling Stone Gives "Chronology" Highest Marks

Postby cyberyukon on November 18th, 2011, 9:10 am

The November 24th issue of "RS" gives the new DVD "Talking Heads: Chronology" a glowing review and the cherished 5 of 5 star rating!

Of course, would we expect any less?

:breakdance:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Re: Rolling Stone Gives "Chronology" Highest Marks

Postby Mr.DRC on November 19th, 2011, 12:14 pm

cyberyukon wrote:The November 24th issue of "RS" gives the new DVD "Talking Heads: Chronology" a glowing review and the cherished 5 of 5 star rating!

Of course, would we expect any less?

:breakdance:

gives the lie to less is more 8-)
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby elbakan on November 21st, 2011, 11:46 pm

Start with a great live band.
elbakan
Radio Head

Postby Backsliding on December 9th, 2011, 2:37 pm

I'm not suprised - I was delighted today when I was shopping at JB Hi-Fi here in Melbourne and my eyes fell upon Chronology - I was quite amazed as the Brick and the other box set took their time in arriving on Australian shores.
Needless to say I bought it immediately (even though I have a bad feeling my girlfriend ordered me a copy for xmas on amazon !)

I suspected I would have seen the bulk of the live clips on Youtube - but I was pleasantly surprised to see a whole lot of bits n' pieces I'd not watched before.

*But* the real treat comes in the Bonus Material section, with the 'South Bank show 1979' feature - it is AMAZING, and has completely revitalised my enthusiasm and affection for the band.

There are extensive interviews with all four band members - Mr. Chris Frantz was particularly insightful and amusing I thought, and it was good to hear from Tina and Jerry at length too.
There is a montage of some really cool photos of the band members, some probably taken pre-band days.
There is a funny ad for 'Fear of Music' which shows the cover and inner sleeve pic overlaid with what sounds like David announcing through a vocoder "Talking Heads have a new album, it's called Fear of Music".

Interspersed between the interviews are 5 or 6 superb live performances - there are clips of the band playing Psycho Killer and Life During Wartime at a gig featuring probably the coolest looking crowd of hipsters I have ever seen; all manner of punks and artistic types mingling and nodding their heads in enjoyment.

Pulled Up, Animals, Air are all performed in a well-lit, funky studio room - it's all really casual but cool and tight - a guy sits at the mixing board with a beer, the band all break at one point for a cigarette (Jerry seems to be the only band member not partaking).
Air is note perfect and interesting; one of Tina's sisters (I assume, they are very alike, i.e. both cute !) sings back-up with Tina.
Jerry and David review the album track of Animals on a record player before attempting to reproduce it live in their studio room, its cool to see Jerry interacting with David in this way, he seems confident and somewhat of a guiding hand. Chris and Tina are very chilled between songs, Tina with beer in hand ..

after years and years of loving Talking Heads (I was listening to them on my ipod today when I spotted Chronology!) I'd gotten to a point where I thought I'd seen it all and I was content (actually I heard some demos of tracks from True Stories on Youtube the other night which I hadn't previously heard - obscure TH stuff pops up from time to time on Youtube as everyone probably already appreciates).
My girlfriend noted the other day that I don't seem to be listening to them as much as I used to (I go through phases though, she will discover).

But as I said earlier, this dvd, which I was looking forward to acquiring but didn't hold great expectations for, has regenerated my interest and love of Talking Heads - can't ask for much more than that, I highly recommend it ..
Backsliding
Ruby Dear

Postby wupot on December 14th, 2011, 12:54 am

Finally got around to ordering mine two days ago. It's sold out at amazon! I can't believe it.
wupot
Bob / Judy

Postby thick as a Brick on December 14th, 2011, 8:15 am

wupot wrote:Finally got around to ordering mine two days ago. It's sold out at amazon! I can't believe it.

I was in the same boat yesterday. Ordered it from one of the other vendors - beaches_entertainment.
Shipped today, w/tracking number.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
thick as a Brick
Radio Head

Postby Aspiemom on December 14th, 2011, 6:34 pm

[quote="thick as a Brick"][quote="wupot"]I was in the same boat yesterday. Ordered it from one of the other vendors - beaches_entertainment.
Shipped today, w/tracking number.

Brilliant! I wanted to give as a Christmas gift, and have been biting my nails waiting for Amazon to ship it. Beaches is sold out now too, but another vendor has it for around $20.00. Someone else is scalping it for $65.00!
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on December 15th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Best Stocking-Filla I know this Xmas :xmas:
(lie)
(yes,You)
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Animal Boy on December 30th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Was really looking forward to my copy coming in the mail today. Got the package only to find a copy of Pulp Fiction on Blu Ray instead. How does a company even begin to mix those two up? :x :roll: :2up: :argue:
Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby Mr.DRC on December 30th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Animal Boy wrote:Was really looking forward to my copy coming in the mail today. Got the package only to find a copy of Pulp Fiction on Blu Ray instead. How does a company even begin to mix those two up? :x :roll: :2up: :argue:

You should have asked for the Deluxe edition, not the Royale with Cheese,AB. :twisted:

Happy New Year! :lol:

Don and Oscar
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby iRene on December 31st, 2011, 9:58 pm

Four stars from Mojo.
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby Animal Boy on January 19th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I never did end up getting my dvd. The company only offered refunds,not replacements and by the time my refund reached my credit card my monthly charge on my credit card occured and I ended up with not enough on my card to buy it. :evil: :2up:
Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby wupot on January 23rd, 2012, 12:53 am

wupot
Bob / Judy

Return to TALKING HEADS