What are the odds?

The band and their music

What are the odds?

Postby Dry Ice Factory on September 8th, 2008, 12:19 am

Interesting article which puts the odds for band reunion tours. Sadly the TH odds are at 200 - 1.

Best live band ever - a real shame. But I will see David Byrne solo on the 18th of September.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=208512&ac=Audience
Dry Ice Factory
Little Creature

Re: What are the odds?

Postby francey on September 8th, 2008, 8:28 am

The friction between the frontman and the three other Heads (who briefly recorded as the Heads after the group disbanded in 1991) ended long enough for the original lineup to play two songs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in 2002

Since the band did four songs at the ceremony, does that mean the odds are now 100-1 ?
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby kosan on October 7th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Well, if Pink Floyd can do it (if only for one show) anything's possible!

I would give just about anything to see Talking Heads live!

Shane
kosan
Little Creature

Postby Peterb on October 8th, 2008, 5:07 am

I'd give it 10 more years.

I've met DB 4 times, 3 times after his shows, and once after his powerpoint show.

Each time I've chatted with him I've never brought up the TH topic. But one time whilst I was waiting to have a chat/get a CD signed, another, much bolder fan got right in his face with "Are you gunna work with Brian Eno again?" and he kinda irked and got uncomfortable at the question..and muttered something like, "Hmm, I dunno" and obviously didn't want to talk about it.

I'm a musician and have played, recorded and toured with something like 10 bands, going as far back as my senior high school years. DB said something in the David Bowman book like, "TH's music came from camaraderie and friendship. Once you stop hanging out, you may as well be making music with anyone." And I think it's hard to understand how true that statement is if you haven't played in a band; it's a bit like a marriage - once you break up, you really don't want to go back. I had a great original band back in the 90s but things got tense, we all stopped being friends and rehearsing, gigging and recording became a really unpleasant experience. Recently I've had fantasies of putting that band back together but it just can't happen - the same dynamics and problems would re-emerge.

I love TH, especially their live performing. But I think DB will hold firm. Although maybe, just maybe he won't feel irky or uncomfortable in say 10 years time. He was uncomfortable about the Eno question only afew years ago, and now we have "Everything That Happens Will Happen Today"....I love David Byrne, he is by far the greatest artist around; and he's always moved forward, tried new things. I think he'll need the perspective of many more years before he might "hang out" and tour with his old band.

Either way, imagine how terrible it would've been had TH made "Naked" and then all of them just stopped completely. It's a great thing that DB, Tom Tom Club and JH solo has happened and is happening today.

:D

Peter
Peterb
Bob / Judy

Postby Aero on May 18th, 2012, 12:57 am

kosan wrote:Well, if Pink Floyd can do it (if only for one show) anything's possible!

I would give just about anything to see Talking Heads live!

Shane

Talking Heads to the best of my knowledge have never performed in Ireland ( I stand corrected on that though)
The first time I saw David Byrne was in the late eighties when he played with a 16 piece brass ensemble, included in that set was 'blind' & Mr 'Jones' , a year or two later I saw Tom Tom club perform in a small club.
In the following years I saw David Byrne perform in Ireland three or four times the most memorable gig was a stop making sense set where he appeared in a pink furry suit, last year I saw Tom Tom club again in a small venue and really enjoyed it.
So like you Kosan I would be the first in the queue for tickets if Talking heads performed together live again.
Fall on your face you must be having fun.
Aero
Little Creature

Postby tedkul on May 18th, 2012, 1:41 am

I somehow missed this thread when it first appeared.

Be careful not to equate "enjoying working together" with "doing good work together." They can be the same thing, but not always.

Consider that many great record producers are well known for being hell to work with. Sometimes I think it's like the movie cliche asshole drill sergeant/teacher/coach that everybody hates but then says "I never could've done it without you."

In the case of the Police, I think the quality of their music came from the fact that Stewart Copeland and Sting are two completely different types of assholes that clashed in the most productive of ways.

As a sometime musician myself, I've always found it to be a weird alchemy...always unpredictable in theory with the proof being in the pudding. And in the case of Talking Heads, I think those musicians sound great together. Even though the 2002 HOF wasn't as inspired as I'd have liked to hear, there were still moments where they gelled in a way that's rare and precious...If you can find it, listen to the instumental vamp on Psycho Killer.
tedkul
Bob / Judy

Postby wupot on May 18th, 2012, 11:15 pm

dry ice factory: Where are you seeing him on September 18?
wupot
Bob / Judy

Postby Ruben on May 21st, 2012, 1:32 pm

wupot wrote:dry ice factory: Where are you seeing him on September 18?

That post is from 2008! :blbl:
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Return to TALKING HEADS