The Lady Don't Mind

The band and their music

Re: The Lady Don't Mind

Postby Buck's Student on February 24th, 2011, 5:39 am

I find the music videos after And She Was weren't exactly... Good. I don't think there's really a reason Tina looked pissed, but...

There could be some interpretation of this and the Chris shadow... I'll post that tomorrow. :coffee:
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buck's Student on February 24th, 2011, 10:10 pm

First shot is of the lady against the wall, which I suppose is Tina - The shadow looks relative to her size, so I am going to say it's hers. The opening lyrics are obviously pertaining to her character, but I'm not going to say how since I hate interpreting lyrics like I'm dissecting a frog.

The next few shots are of New York (I assume), which makes me think of the mid eighties (it was '85), which is when the novel American Psycho is set. Patrick Bateman, the protagonist, makes several references to Little Creatures and True Stories through out the book, and Bret Easton Ellis is obviously implying that the Talking Heads were becoming more of a pop group, less oriented on intellectuals. Several movies from this time period also have similar shots of New York, which means the band were trying to stay with the times.

What clothes does band have one? Suits. Tina's hair and her bass (The actual model and shape) are reflective of the then-current trends.
David is sitting on a red chair, Tina on a blue chair. Both are in front with Jerry behind, and Chris in the very back. The red contrasts against the blue, as though there was a struggle between David and Tina (And we know about that!), and both are in front of the other two members. This probably means there was a power struggle to decide who was really the face of the band. Jerry, as both a keyboard player and guitarist, has significant contributions to the band, but he's never given the credit he deserves (I believe David once said that Jerry was the Talking Heads). Chris is in the very back as a stoic and simple drummer - He's not a burly, popular drummer such as Bonzo, but does what the music needs.

Next they switch positions, with Tina in the very front, but everything is black and white. Tina and Jerry, with their more modern gear and appearance, are the ones moving the sound into a more popular and modern style. David, with his then-unfashionable Gibson 335 hollowbody is the one clinging to the bands roots (His and Jerry's guitar style is the one thing that kept a certain style within the band on each album - Funky and simple, as it were).

We then see the two playing cards - Both seven, but one is a red diamond and the other black spades. This would indicate the band members were shedding outside/additional musicians, as they were producing their own records, and the music was less multi-instrument oriented. Instead of a huge band, such as on the Remain in the Light and Speaking in Tongues tours, they would only need their four-person unit for most of the sounds.

Tina pulls the curtain, as though taking away the old and allowing the new in. She indulges in the sun, as though she is the one bringing in the new sounds. The Tom Tom Club, at that time, would fit in more with the pop crowd than the art/punk crowd.

The exclamation point is to get your attention - It is literally there for a split second. The screen goes from red to yellow to blue, with the band playing, in color, against the blue and gray. This signifies mixed emotions within the band, and eventually the band dancing to the beat of a different drummer than Byrne. Then Chris does a similar thing, only he is the drummer, and there fore the band is out of beat with his ideal sound.

The sheet on the clothes wire changes colors several times - It is out in the open that the band's hostility towards one another is well known.

The woman wrapped in a sheet... I don't think that's Tina, because her physique and sizes does not match Tina. Tina holds all the cards - Sevens, as though she's the dealer. She places them down as though they are tarot cards after we see the sheeted woman (Laura Palmer? :lol: ) once more. This would mean that Tina objects to any outsiders intervening with the group.

We see the band dancing, but Jerry does not move at all - He looks to his right. He can simply look the other way when the band does their own thing, but he wonders if he'd be better off elsewhere.

Tina moves her hands in an awkward way, as though she's a puppet master - Again, she desires more control, but the smooth up and down motions means she desires a balance that cannot happen.

Chris drums on the floor while the various colors flash behind him. He's willing to be less of a team player for the benefit of the band, even though he's not apart of the struggle.

Tina looks through the window, and as the lights go out in the city, she disappears. As their style, new or old, goes out of style, she is unwilling to change again - True Stories was less oriented on modern sounds, and Naked defiantly like anything out there.

Now, this interpretation is just a music video interpretation - I'm not putting down any member of the band intentionally, but just interpreting what I see from the video. I was a film minor for a sort while, and had to do this sort of thing on a regular basis, so I'm not just making a shot in the dark.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buglet on February 25th, 2011, 12:21 am

Well, the video was directed by Jim Jarmusch (and note how David's current hair colour and style are quite Jarmuschy).

8-)
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby francey on February 25th, 2011, 12:35 am

Female musicians weren't suppose to smile in the 80s - a serious look always, and no risk of looking ridiculous on pictures (at least, that's what Claudia Brucken of Propaganda once told me).

Notice how there are no camera movements in the "Lady don't Mind" video - it's all still shots.

My 2, totally irrelevant, cents :-)
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Buck's Student on February 26th, 2011, 5:16 am

s!mbells wrote:Saturday 7.40am in Melbourne Australia and I'm wiping the sleep from my eyes. The morning sun is shining, the air is still and as I look out my window I see no clouds in the sky. The trees reflect sunlight from the east, it's 14 degrees with birds chirping. It's as good as it gets. I'm grateful for mornings like these.

I've been up and about for one hour. I woke with Buck's Student interpretations running through my mind. This is scary I know!!

I want to offer some additional personal insights but I'm out of action for a couple of days (parental duties) and are time poor.

Enjoy your weekend all. :rockdude:

I only had time to do my interpretation because it was the end of my school week, and my fiance wasn't around. :)

But regarding the film style with the single shots - There were some alternative angles here and there, actually. When Tina opens the drapes/curtains, you see her again, in the same room, opening her komono. When the lady in the drapes is shown, you see her in two different angles in separate shots, and also when Tina holds the cards. You'll also notice that when Chris is drumming on the ground, he's shown alone (The only person who is shown alone, other than him, is Tina in the komono) and it's at a different angle than when the band is dancing/spinning and one member dances/stands alone.

I think part of the reason we see these stock footage shots of NY and single shots (Probably only one camera) is because of how much less it would cost otherwise. The other video from Little Creatures, Stay Up Late, is also done similarly... And She Was is brilliant, though. 8-)
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buck's Student on February 27th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Hey, cool!!!!! ;) I'm glad someone pulled out the lyrics. I like how the rhythm of your interpretation works so well with the song.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Return to TALKING HEADS