Band Projects You Would Want

The band and their music

Band Projects You Would Want

Postby Buck's Student on February 11th, 2011, 4:43 pm

The band collaborated with people within and outside the confines of being a band; for example, Adrian Belew was within, and David Byrne and Brian Eno were outside. Were, or are, there any collaborations with other artists you would have, or would, like to see?

I often wonder why Robert Fripp and Byrne never made a full album together; Under Heavy Manners is a great song (Check out the sig!). With Eno producing, I think it could have been a collaboration up there with the first four Talking Heads records.

Then, because I love Adrian Belew and he sounds amazingly like David, I envisioned a tour or album with him and the Tom Tom Club or a Heads tour (But maybe with a different name; The Speaking Tongues? :mrgreen: ).
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Re: Band Projects You Would Want

Postby fredd2332 on February 18th, 2011, 6:22 pm

I would love that as Adrian is such a great guitarist and singer, but he is probably far too busy with all the projects he has.

I just want Talking Heads to get back together. If the Cars can do it, why not Talking Heads....oh yeah, David Byrne....
fredd2332
Ruby Dear

Postby Buck's Student on February 19th, 2011, 5:59 am

fredd2332 wrote:I would love that as Adrian is such a great guitarist and singer, but he is probably far too busy with all the projects he has.

I just want Talking Heads to get back together. If the Cars can do it, why not Talking Heads....oh yeah, David Byrne....

I would only support a reunion if it meant new music, low concert cost, and relevance. America reunited and made a new album, but who cares?

After so many years, it's a bit redundant. I wouldn't support it, because it would probably be for nostalgia purposes. Bands reuniting just to tour isn't a good thing - It's a greed thing. I don't want to put anyone down when I say that, because I know some band members read this board, but it just wouldn't be right.

Simbellis, I'm going to assume your post is meant in good taste. :hippy: I don't care much about Fripp these days, actually. King Crimson lost their relevance to me when they made Thrak. I hear Adam Jones of Tool may make an album with Fripp, which I'd love to hear.

Adrian Belew has his solo career, but I don't think he's touring at the moment; though I believe he is recording an album or something. I used to keep up with this Elephant Blog, but only for the cool stories. I'm sure he'd make a few changes to do something with Chris, Tina, and possibly Jerry.

That being said, David still does great versions of those old songs, and I'm really opening up to his solo material now.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby tedkul on February 19th, 2011, 11:39 am

Buck's Student wrote:it would probably be for nostalgia purposes. Bands reuniting just to tour isn't a good thing - It's a greed thing. I don't want to put anyone down when I say that, because I know some band members read this board, but it just wouldn't be right.

You know, for me, those 4 musicians just sounded good together. It wouldn't be for nostalgic purposes, it would be for musical purposes. I've found that sometimes some musicians just sound good together. You can take a guitar player, a bassist, and a drummer and maybe they don't even like each other much, or have similar musical tastes. But if they have the right chemistry...MAGIC.

Sadly, I don't think Byrne thinks himself much of a musician. He's an Artist. He makes plays about dictators and books about bicycles.

In the liner notes to "Sand in the Vaseline" a hypothetical reporter asks "People called you an intellectual band...they said popular music was a game for you...that you're dilettantes playing at being pop stars." Sadly I'm pretty convinced that that's true.
tedkul
Bob / Judy

Postby Buck's Student on February 19th, 2011, 4:23 pm

tedkul wrote:
Buck's Student wrote:it would probably be for nostalgia purposes. Bands reuniting just to tour isn't a good thing - It's a greed thing. I don't want to put anyone down when I say that, because I know some band members read this board, but it just wouldn't be right.

You know, for me, those 4 musicians just sounded good together. It wouldn't be for nostalgic purposes, it would be for musical purposes. I've found that sometimes some musicians just sound good together. You can take a guitar player, a bassist, and a drummer and maybe they don't even like each other much, or have similar musical tastes. But if they have the right chemistry...MAGIC.

If they charged a fair amount for tickets, it could very well be that they just want to play together again. However, on VH1 Chris Frantz said, "there are people who would be willing to pay us a lot of money to just do a few shows" (Or something to that effect - not a direction quotation), and I think it would be better if they just stayed apart if it was about money - Nostalgia purposes.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buglet on February 19th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Tina and David just don't like one another, and nothing's gonna change that.

;)
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Buck's Student on February 19th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Buglet wrote:Tina and David just don't like one another, and nothing's gonna change that.

;)

I don't think I've ever read an accurate statement on why. For I long time, I kinda liked the smut of David Bowman, but that was unrealistic.

I know truth is in the eye of the beholder, though. I believe no one is completely innocent, so it's unfair to take a side, though I see more people against David than Tina.

But whatever Tina and Chris have done through the past twenty years - I hope it's kept them happy. If so, they don't really need David. What they did in the Talking Heads was that one great shining moment, and there's no reason they can't have others without the band, and I know they probably have.

I would still like to see them work with Adrian Belew. :waycool:
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buck's Student on February 20th, 2011, 1:56 am

s!mbells wrote:What other bands have stood the test of time?

That's a bit like asking about the meaning of life. :lol:
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby fredd2332 on February 22nd, 2011, 9:57 pm

Nostalgia? More than half of David's set is Talking Heads. He is already doing a nostalgia show.

I just want to see Talking Heads live. Have them play Wild Wild Life and The Democratic Circus and The Lady Don't Mind, all the songs they never played live before.

The closest I ever came to seeing them live was in 91, I think, when David did a free show in Central Park and a week later Chris, Tina, and Jerry played Jones Beach.

I want to see them all on stage at the same time. The RnRHoF reunion was not for the fans.

I want a farewell tour for the fans. I know, I am greedy.

I'm still waiting for the video clips/pics that Chris said he would share from the rehearsals...but that's for another time.

Peace!
fredd2332
Ruby Dear

Postby Buck's Student on February 23rd, 2011, 1:06 am

fredd2332 wrote:Nostalgia? More than half of David's set is Talking Heads. He is already doing a nostalgia show.

How much does he charge for tickets? Not nearly as much as a reunion gig would. He also puts his own spin on many of the old songs, and still performs his own - new and old.

And why wouldn't he play those old songs? He helped write them, and he wouldn't have a career without them. How many DB fans do you know who don't like the Talking Heads?
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Return to TALKING HEADS