Facebook

Postby cyberyukon on January 1st, 2009, 6:33 pm

Anyone here do the "Facebook" thing?

:rockdude:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Re: Facebook

Postby Ruben on January 1st, 2009, 9:05 pm

I'm on Facebook and I really like it, although I'm not one of those people who is obsessed with it 24/7.

I prefer it to MySpace mainly because my profile can only be seen by people I accept. Maybe that can be done in MySpace too, I don't know really.

And the design is very neat and professional, I really like that too, it's easy to find things and to use it once you get the hang of it. Everytime I try to open a MySpace page with lots of things on it like music, videos, pictures, etc., my PC gets frozen!

I know this is not a MySpace vs. Facebook thread but it's impossible not to think about that!

I just have about 40 friends on it and it's all people I know. And I like it simply because I can get in touch with people I haven't seen or talked in years, it's fun, it has cool games, iLike is great for all things releated to music and the design is cool. Cybie, are you on Facebook?
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby cyberyukon on January 1st, 2009, 10:56 pm

Yeah--how do I find you?
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby francey on January 1st, 2009, 11:31 pm

I've signed up with half a dozen of these social community web 2.0 networking site things last year as I too wanted to know what it was all about... so far, I have found none of them very useful... Even though I don't know that many people, every one of them has an account on another site... so, all my friends are divided over six different sites... Hence, I look like a total loser on all of them with only a handful of friends... and whenever I want to find someone, I have to remember what site they have a profile on.

Ok, I haven't tried Facebook yet - besides Ruben and Cyberyukon, are there any other good reasons for opening an account there...?

...and is there 1 community site outthere to rule them all ? Socializing is too complex in the age of the internets ;)
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Mr.DRC on January 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm

My New Years Resolution:Remain a total loser...with only a handful of friends

(creep,creep ;) )
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Ruben on January 2nd, 2009, 3:21 pm

francey wrote:...and is there 1 community site outthere to rule them all ? Socializing is too complex in the age of the internets ;)

Well, I think that eventually Facebook will become that community site that will rule them all. I don't pay much attention to it really, but I like it because I can talk to friends I had in school who I haven't seen in years, and I can play Twirl, lol!. There are fan groups of actors, musicians, etc., and you can discuss things and post in threads, just as if it was a regular internet forum. iLike is really cool because it's something similar to Last.fm, although it doesn't make lists of the songs you listen, you can choose artists and songs you like, share videos, find people that attended gigs you went to, etc.
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby cyberyukon on January 3rd, 2009, 3:04 am

Myspace hit the 'net with a lot of glitz and glammer. Really, it was just a snazzy 21st century version of the old "homepage" thing. It got much sloppier as time went on, pimp sites metastisized across cyberspace (many bearing host to malware) and the phantom-like "Tom" posted embarassingly written (in a calculating kind of way) notes about black-outs and server errors. "Were werking onit ," he would say, grinning like the Chesire Cat before evaporating into the net nether-regions.

Then, most recently, it turned into a gimmicky way for advertisers to assault you with banner ads about movies and concerts that, realistically, no one really cared about anyways. I mean seriously...how many other web sites do you have to scroll down past the banner ads to get to the log-in screen? Yuck.

Facebook, on the other hand, is kind of like retro-"Myspace" as created by the people who run your local church board. Visitors can't view even the most casual of details about a person without being on their "friends" list. There are no cutesy bells and whistles to add on, much to the distress of fifteen year old girls and that massively overweight home-bound fifty-year old lady who finds filling up a page with tons of Youtube "Jesus is Lord" videos and "You are my pet" images amusing. And there's a push towards familiarity. You can try to find friends, but it seems driven to be more difficult if they weren't part of your high-school graduating class.

Like...who wants to hook up with people from their high school class? That's what reunions are for...and that's why they're held only once every ten years!

Anyways...e-mail me with your Facebook name if you wanna hook up.

:rockdude:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Return to NO HEADS, JUST TALKING