Ongoing Election 2008 Thread!!

The place to be totally off-topic.

Re: Ongoing Election 2008 Thread!!

Postby cyberyukon on October 5th, 2008, 10:40 pm

I missed it--spent the week and weekend huddled up in blankets, sniffling and coughing.

What I hear, though, is that though Biden out-performed Palin, "Govenor Avon-Lady" did exceed expectations (that's Bill Maher's title--lol). Still, her star seems to be dimming. A cheap carny trick by the Republicans that's quickly losing its appeal. All lipstick, no substance.

The debates? I dunno. After GWB clucked and quacked his way through the 2004 debates and still managed to win...I don't know if they mean a whole lot.

Rolling Stone recently did a piece on Palin's claims. Here's the link--Palin myths vs. Palin realities. Check it out when you can. Interesting: Oil juggernaut company BP was a sponsor of her inaugural ball and, as governor, she sought travel reimbursement for over 312 nights. Nights, by the way, that she spent in her own home.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23140513/the_truth_about_sarah_palin
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on October 6th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Just as well they weren't Arabian Nights-think of the Carbon Footprint! ;)

Don-We've got Gordo in power...Yikes!-C.
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby iRene on October 11th, 2008, 8:05 pm

"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby cyberyukon on October 30th, 2008, 4:40 am

Okay--so as we wind down (or wind up?) the last wek I'm going to make two predictions:

1). Even though Obama is the far, far better candidate McCain will pull off a victory, surprising everybody. Dick Cheney will be secretly patting himself on the back, "red" states will light up across the map, Fox News will champion the American Voter and most sensible people will be asking "WTF--??".

2). The price of gas will start to again go up. And up...and up. By Christmas the average cost will be $3.75 a gallon (American dollars) and in four months it will be back to $4.50 per gallon. By next summer? $6.00 per gallon amidst a host of rationalizations.

You heard it here first.
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Chandler on November 3rd, 2008, 5:33 am

by francey on October 1st, 2008, 10:47 am

All you need to know on the upcoming elections and why Obama is not the one to vote for... at least, if you agree with Mrs. Redneck here: http://view.break.com/580075

This should be addressed prior to the election. Believe an accompanying caption says "average southerners," or something similar. Well, no, and maybe. I live in a southern state and saw Byrne in an adjoining southern state, and must counter that the individuals in this video snippet aren't average in appearance, vocabulary, or education. However, the misinformation is too common... thanks to obtaining their "information" from only one source, but this is nationwide rather than specifically regional. A couple of weeks ago Senator John McCain had to publicly correct a woman at one of his rallies who called Senator Obama an "Arab." Too many Americans believe whatever is said on this one source...

...it being Fox Noise, as MSNBC commentator Keith Obermann calls the cable channel. Fox is irresponsible, the anchors and commentators throwing out any idea... knowing that many viewers lack critical skills and pay scant attention at best. "I heard it on TV" becomes a validation, no matter how inaccurate the idea or assertion.

I work at an election precinct and attended a mandatory instruction class this past Saturday, November 1st, where too many of the participants voiced concern about problems in early voting nationwide as well as locally... purged polls, voting multiple times, machines not working, and in a local example, the Obama light coming on the voting machine when the McCain button was pushed. The administrator of elections in this county argued otherwise, but the idea was pervasive... Republicans worried that the machines are rigged so their McCain votes will go to Democrat Obama.

I watch too much political coverage and compare stories and how they are presented on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox... and attest that this distrust of the system originated on the latter channel to instill doubt in the results.

The county I live in is at least 70% Republican. This state is red. I honestly don't care how people vote, only that they learn facts and double if not triple-check them. Misinformation is ruining our democracy.

Chandler
Chandler
Ruby Dear

Postby cyberyukon on November 3rd, 2008, 6:42 am

So on that note, let me offer this link:

http://factcheck.org/
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Chandler on November 3rd, 2008, 7:31 am

In scanning factcheck.org, a link on the left pertains to the legality of wearing political paraphernalia or clothes emblazoned with political names or slogans into the voting precinct. It is illegal here. All politicking must be conducted 100 feet from the entrance. It is actually refreshing in our voting precinct at how nonpolitical it is... we can't discuss politics with anyone who comes through the doors, nor are we supposed to help with the machines beyond activation. There are six of us working the precinct, a comparatively small room prepared to handle some 1,000 voters on Tuesday. In spending thirteen hours together, we discuss every subject on the planet except politics. Observers from the state capital are due to watch, such is the contention surrounding this election.

Related: no way can Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck vote in our precinct. An ID must be presented that matches the registrar's book. Any discrepancy causes all sorts of conflicts... from address changes to name changes... that result in either delays, phone calls to the election commission, or outright rejection. Nor can anyone vote multiple times. We must connect a printer to the machines prior to opening the doors to print the "results"... zeros must be in every column to show that there was no tampering beforehand. The thing that is fascinating to me is that we print the results at day's end, so we are the first to know probable outcomes, especially in smaller local elections (town mayor, etc.).

Chandler
Chandler
Ruby Dear

Postby Chandler on November 4th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Today I will spend thirteen plus hours at the election precinct, have mercy. As with most towns and cities across the country, we are expecting a heavy turnout. Chandler
Chandler
Ruby Dear

Postby francey on November 4th, 2008, 5:27 pm

For all of you Americans: vote and vote wise. The world counts on you! :rockdude:
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby elbakan on November 5th, 2008, 6:02 am

francey wrote:For all of you Americans: vote and vote wise. The world counts on you! :rockdude:

Francey, thanks for moderating this site. America presents the 44th President of the United States...

Barack Obama!!!
elbakan
Radio Head

Postby reno on November 5th, 2008, 8:53 am

Wow. He actually did it. America actually did it!
:jumpyjumpy:
reno
Television man

Postby Mr.DRC on November 5th, 2008, 8:54 am

Four by Four...

Great Day! Great Day! - Bette Midler

A million old soldiers will fade away
But a Dream goes on Forever
- Todd Rundgren

Change is coming, just like the sun
Change is coming,you better run
- Marc Bolan

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
It is because we do not dare that they are difficult
- Seneca

Thanks for daring, cousins.
Don Cooper
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Chandler on November 6th, 2008, 4:37 pm

I live in a town of some 15,000 residents. Of that number, 10,000 are adults of voting age in five election precincts. That in theory makes 2,000 adults per precinct, of which probably 1,000 are eligible voters per precinct.

Our precinct had over 600 early voters (at the election commission office, which closed Thursday, October 30th).

On Tuesday, November 4th, the voting went:
McCain – 225
Obama – 109
Nader – 4
Barr – 3
Hillary Clinton – 1 (write in on the touch screen)

We used two touch screen machines. Me and an older gentleman connected the machines and ran a printout that showed zeros in all columns, proof that the machines had not been tampered with beforehand. I voted first on “my” machine prior to opening the doors, a procedure to make certain the machines function correctly. For eleven hours I activated my machine for half of the voters, and explained how it functioned to several first-time voters as well as most users… Democrat and Republican alike… since the machines were comparatively new. There were only three pages to vote on, presidential, senatorial, and congressional, plus a review page and a confirm page.

A reporter and cameraman from the local newspaper appeared at 8 a.m., opening time. A photo of our queue… some 30 people out the doors… appeared in that day’s newspaper (it being an evening edition).

It was an enjoyable day, meeting old friends, socializing, asking all voters if they confirmed their votes and, joking on occasion, suggesting they scan the newspaper the following day to see their votes counted in the results. One young man voting for the first time wore a “Cthulu for President” t-shirt. I addressed him in a serious, authoritarian tone, “Voters aren’t allowed to wear political clothing, but I guess an H.P. Lovecraft shirt is okay,” at which he beamed, “You’re the first person today to understand.”

There was never any question that McCain would win our precinct as well as our county and even state, but I knew the first vote on my machine would go to the national winner

Chandler
Chandler
Ruby Dear

Postby Mr.DRC on November 10th, 2008, 11:09 am

Thanks for the Despatches from the Frontline,Chandler.

Isn't that phrase"You're the first person today to understand" a good one to repeat to oneself in the
the morning-bathroom mirror? Trouble is one tends to think "Pity about the rest of the assholes" ;)

Don
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Previous

Return to NO HEADS, JUST TALKING