Ongoing Election 2008 Thread!!

The place to be totally off-topic.

Ongoing Election 2008 Thread!!

Postby cyberyukon on September 8th, 2008, 3:01 am

So McCain's pick for Veep is merely a blatantly tactical move to capture the Hillary-loyal. A smiling, energetic middle-aged politician-cum-PTA Leader from Nowheresville, Alasksa who balances out McCain's crusty turgor. Their pledge is to not give in to special interests and to set the United States right again. With all of this attention and confetti it's no wonder McCain has jumped ahead in the polls. Together they're doing a fantastic job separating themselves from the group that ran this country into the ground.

It's a very strategic move. The woman has no real solid political resume to qualify her for the role of V.P. You can almost hear the Republican think-tank sitting around the room trying to come up with a demographically-challenged candidate who would deliberately offset Obama's youth and charisma, qualifications be damned. The good news is that (I guess) if she can be plucked out of the masses to be second-in-command then hell, even I might have a chance some day!

But again it also reveals how calculating and dangerous the Republican Party can be. This is the same mindset that plunged the United States into a mess of a war and brought about the meso-trainwreck that is the mortgage/foreclosure/credit crisis. As much as they would like to make the casual voter believe that the a shiny, happy new boss from the frozen state is on our side...it's important to remember which party has been pushing the buttons and pulling the levers over the past decade. And has anyone else noticed how non-present George Bush has been these days?

I do think it's a bit silly to make an issue over Palin's daughter's pregnancy, though. She's 17 and pregnant. If anything, this should give mom and dad a good old-fashioned, non-conservative e-ticket to liberal ethics land. Maybe make them a little bit more sensitive to ideas like family and teen pregnancy. There's a lot of talk about whether McCain should have or shouldn't have said something sooner. My reply: what difference does it make? Ten years ago, during the Bill Clinton White House Sexcapades Affair, the Democrats wanted to dismiss his Oval Office duties as his own private business. That same standard might apply here.

Here's a link--a bit outdated--detailing the candidates positions on issues like the economy, the Iraq boondoggle and health care:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18437398
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Re: Ongoing Election 2008 Thread!!

Postby Mr.DRC on September 9th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Can I put my Disgusted of Tunbrige Wells in about the Mortgage/Subprime etc.
Ten or so years ago when my Wife was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arth.we were owner/occupiers with M+W+Son+My Elderly Mum-2 Bed House.Plan was for Wife to gobackwork when Son at Nursery-did not
happen.No Mortgage provider would assist for needed move to 3-bedroom house-Son 10,sleeping in our
Marital Bedroom.We had to sell the house and,via intervention of UK Housing Ombudsman(looong story),
move into Housing Association rented accom.I still cannot raise mortgage because,tho I work and pay
mucho-taxes,no way,Jose.B.Obama esq was right to say the U.S. Taxpayer/Citizen should not have to
pay for selfish jokers who knew they had small income/no income but were so greedy they wanted four
walls and a roof-at any cost;especially to their fellow poor hard-working buggers who chose not to "take the piss" and feign D.Trump-level incomes relative to the sod-all they really earned/claimed.Hope that lot
made a bit of sense without switching-on The Cooperizer...

Don-pressing the Gervais Extras doll that repeated"You're avvin a laff!"-Cooper.
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Mr.DRC on September 9th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Cyber,we the people already had you as V.P. and The Fearless Leader as Prez. when you were ridin
around that Virtual World a while-and a Website-back!
That was Camp-aining you were up to,wasn't it? :blbl:

"Didn't take long..."
O.WWL.
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby finnikko on September 11th, 2008, 2:48 am

Please fill us all in on Obama's political resume. Keep in mind though that we've already considered his community organizing, his teaching position, and his 143 days of ACTIVE Senate time.

From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working. After 143 days of work experience, Obama believes he is ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World .... 143 days.

We all have to start somewhere. The senate is a good start, but after 143 days, that's all it is - a start.

AND, strangely, a large sector of the American public is okay with this and campaigning for him. We wouldn't accept this in our own line of work, yet some are okay with this for the President of the United States of America? Come on folks, we are not voting for the next American Idol!
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.
finnikko
Mojique

Postby francey on September 11th, 2008, 9:06 am

finnikko wrote:AND, strangely, a large sector of the American public is okay with this and campaigning for him. We wouldn't accept this in our own line of work, yet some are okay with this for the President of the United States of America? Come on folks, we are not voting for the next American Idol!

When McCain lives up to the statistics - and dies before his term ends - how experienced is his substitute? And is she the person you like to see as president?

It's crazy to see the whole election circus from the other side of the Atlantic, but amusing at the same time. Obama dropped Hillary, so McCain introduces a woman as his running mate. What's left to choose from? An old man with a scary über-conservative gun-crazy lady by his side or a black rookie with an invisible running mate.

Oh well, they're only running for the most important job in the world, so text your favrorite to 911 and decide who wins! :geek:
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby cyberyukon on September 11th, 2008, 2:25 pm

I have a dreaded feeling that the democratic circus has only just begun.

Finniko--you're from Phoenix, right? What was McCain like as a senator there?
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby finnikko on September 11th, 2008, 5:28 pm

CYBERYUKON
As a Senator, Two Words:
NOT POPULAR
Francey,
I talked about his (Obama's) experience and left off the personal remarks. Let's keep to that.
finnikko
Mojique

Postby finnikko on September 11th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Francy:
Disregard my last post "I talked about his (Obama's) experience and left off the personal remarks. Let's keep to that."

I've been reading too much of our local posts, and let me tell you, THEY ARE GETTING VERY SCARY!!

By the way

TERRIFIC NEW SITE!
finnikko
Mojique

Postby cyberyukon on September 12th, 2008, 2:33 am

The manner in which the great tide of public opinion (or the perception of it) can be swayed by some choice political spin amazes me.

Obama was, I think, considered to be the strongest candidate just a few weeks ago. A hero for the masses. Then in comes perky, delightful Sarah Palin and things change. EVeryone's rootin' for the new gal. This week Obama gets crucified over a comment about lipstick. Suddenly he's being made out to be either young and impulsive or young and insulting. Meanwhile, George W. is as forgotten as last April's lunch.

Meantime, through all of this, I'm not hearing anyone actually address the issues at stake (although maybe I'm not listening to the right radio stations).

So yeah. The great ocean of public opinion (or the perception of it) can be swayed by some choice political spin. So...where are all of these hordes of flip-floppers and why can't they make their minds up?

Finniko: based on his experience as senator for Arizona, do you think he would do a decent job in the role of president?
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby francey on September 12th, 2008, 11:01 am

francey
Site Admin

Postby finnikko on September 12th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Cyberyukon,,

If you're looking for keen political insight here you'd do just as well by asking your big toe. How's this for a non-risky answer:
The people who have always hated him will continue to do so. There's always a chance that he will be able to sway a few here and there, but by and large he will do what HE wants to do. It will work sometimes, sometimes it won't. I know, I know pretty strong stuff, this finnikko guy really puts it out there. Here's one for you:
Why is it that every time I point out that Palin has more executive experience than Obama, people look at me as if there were foam dripping from the corners of my mouth? Seriously, how does this guy do it? He is, after all, running for the top position, not the VP slot. If it's just the fact that after eight years of Bush someone who can actually speak well is considered to have all the necessary requirements, then I'm a little worried.
Look, If you think I'm going to be dancing my way to the voting booth to pull the lever for McCain you're seriously mistaken. I have to deal with what was given to me this election cycle. McCain or Obama. This time around I will swallow hard and vote for McCain. Mostly because I want to avoid the after election hangover if Obama gets in. You know the scenario, Obama is elected, then, after the honeymoon, the press realize they need stories so they start in on him. And I mean really start in on him, like for the first time, because Lord knows they aren't turning over any rocks now*. They'll finally take a good long look at his record of voting 'present' for instance. Then we will all be forced to find out if his lack of experience can be made up for with eloquent speeches.

p.s. Try as I might, I can't get a scene from a movie out of my head. The film is the mid-seventies Robert Redford vehicle "The Candidate". At the very end of the movie Redford's character wins and immediately turns to his staff and says, "Now what?" Roll credits.

*these 'rocks' refer to issues of experience, not to who lived in his neighborhood or what church he attended.
finnikko
Mojique

Postby Mr.DRC on September 12th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Kinda related: just read "Only In America" by Matt Frei-BBC Washington/America Coress. Great anecdotes
about TDCircus,and little story about Mini-Bush/Matt's sprogs that might soften a few hearts-but only for a millisecond ;)
The part where Washington Dulles Jobsworth gives him grief for presuming he might be a "resident" is
priceless.Read it and weep...

Don

p.s. it is from an Expat perspective (Not that there's anything wrong with that-J.Seinfeld)
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby iRene on September 13th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Palin is a Creationist?! That's enough for me. "She's dangerous."
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby cyberyukon on September 16th, 2008, 6:32 am

So there I was, sitting with my friend Floyd. It was a late summer day, maybe August or September and we were hanging out in some field somewhere. And I remember him saying "ya know...there's too much greed going on. Some day it's all gonna come crashing down. We're going to be in a world of hurt".

First, the mortgage mess catapults the USA and then the world into a deep, black financial hole. Then, another shoe drops and the credit problem digs us deeper into a hole whose bottom is apparently unseen. Banks begin to break off and slide like gigantic chunks of ice off of glaciers. Markets begin to wink out like power grids in a bad thunderstorm. Lines form outside of banks as people scurry to withdraw their savings.

I'm starting to think Floyd was right.
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on September 17th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Citizens of this Topic.I implore you goto BBC News Online for Matt Frei's latest Washington Diary:Troubled Times.GTUWILLNJOY!

Don-The truth be out there-Cooper

I'm Still Waiting to learn how to include those linky-things... :oops:
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby ph4t3Xp4t on September 21st, 2008, 9:37 pm

I came here for the music.

If I am to be subjected to repugnibots spewing out neocon propaganda, then I make no apologies for posting facts for consideration:

Essential reading. This is only an excerpt.

McCain not only abandoned his POW compatriots, he actively buried their very existence.

And continues to do so until this very day:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081006/schanberg/2

McCain and the POW Cover-up
By Sydney H. Schanberg, September 17, 2008

This article appeared in the October 6, 2008 edition of The Nation.

[ ... ]

An early and critical attempt by McCain to conceal evidence involved 1990 legislation called the Truth bill, which started in the House. A brief and simple document, the bill would have compelled complete transparency about prisoners and missing men. Its core sentence said that the "head of each department or agency which holds or receives any records and information, including reports, which have been correlated or possibly correlated to United States personnel listed as prisoner of war or missing in action from World War II, the Korean conflict and the Vietnam conflict, shall make available to the public all such records held or received by that department or agency."

Bitterly opposed by the Pentagon (and thus by McCain), the bill went nowhere. Reintroduced the following year, it again disappeared. But a few months later a new measure, the McCain bill, suddenly appeared. It created a bureaucratic maze from which only a fraction of the documents could emerge--only the records that revealed no POW secrets. The McCain bill became law in 1991 and remains so today.

[ ... ]

-- t3h 3Xp4t
ph4t3Xp4t
Mojique

Postby finnikko on September 27th, 2008, 5:05 pm

I came here for the music.
BUT this is the place to go completely off topic, and it seems, from your post, you were quite ready and willing to do so. By the way I absolutely love the term "repugnibots". This is a very clever twist on the word Republican. The first part - repug, is of course meant to connote repugnant, because Republicans are repugnant. The second part - bots, refers to the fact that all Republicans follow blindly, just like a robot would. GET IT??? It's an insult! What ph4t3xp4t very cleverly slipped in here is an insult. All Republicans are repugnant robots! Take that all you repugnibots! I've got some others that I think are almost as clever:
Stupicans.
Republicants.
Nazis.
Dumb evil people who don't vote Democrat.
I know that last one needs work, but isn't it a devastating indictment on how wrong they are and how obviously correct we are?
finnikko
Mojique

Postby francey on September 27th, 2008, 7:33 pm

I just finished watching last nights debate (it was on at 3am in the morning, so I recorded it). Yawn. This wasn't a debate - this was two people reciting what they've said a million times before. The guy who was there to ask question did nothing more than that - there was no conversation, no debate - and in most cases, no answers to any questions asked. McCain was the rudest of the two, refusing to look Obama in the eyes, and starting every sentence by saying that 'he met this person, was over there back then', only emphasising on how experienced he is... Sigh.

1-0 for the democrats. Next the running mates.
francey
Site Admin

Postby francey on October 1st, 2008, 10:47 am

All you need to know on the upcoming elections and why Obama is not the one to vote for... at least, if you agree with Mrs. Redneck here: http://view.break.com/580075
francey
Site Admin

Postby francey on October 3rd, 2008, 10:47 pm

What did y'all think of last nights debate? Just finished watching it - much more fun than last weeks one, imho.
francey
Site Admin

Next

Return to NO HEADS, JUST TALKING