Steinberger Spirit XT-2

or

Steinberger Synapse XS-1FPA

:coffee:
Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Re: Which bass should I purchase?

Postby Buglet on June 5th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Personally I'd ditch those new-fangled things and opt for an old Mustang bass, but that's just me being obsessed with vintage Fenders. 8-)
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Animal Boy on June 5th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Buglet wrote:Personally I'd ditch those new-fangled things and opt for an old Mustang bass, but that's just me being obsessed with vintage Fenders. 8-)

I've always been intrigued by the headless Steinberger bass ever since I saw Tina play one in the Love For Sale music video.

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby Buglet on June 5th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Only just noticed that the Spirit is a 5-string. Apparently they're much harder to learn on.
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Animal Boy on June 6th, 2010, 3:31 am

Buglet wrote:Only just noticed that the Spirit is a 5-string. Apparently they're much harder to learn on.

It comes in a 4 string as well which is what I want so I obviously put up the wrong pic.
As far as I know the Spirit is the older model & a 4 string is around $400.00.While the Synapse the newer model is around $1000.00 so that may be a factor.But everyone I've asked so far says go with the Synapse.

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby cyberyukon on June 6th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Like with any instrument although looks are a good criteria, find a bass that feels right. That's the most important thing that you can do.

You'll know when you do-the instrument will bond with you immediately. The style, how far off the fret the strings are, the action, etc. It could be that shiny new virgin Ibanez at the local Guitar Center...or that beat up old Peavey at the neighbor's garage sale. Never,ever buy one without playing it first.

So sample a few. Find one that works your mojo.

:rockdude:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Buglet on June 6th, 2010, 11:19 pm

I agree that you should, ideally, try before you buy but I'd be a total hypocrite if I said it was essential.

My favourite guitar is an all-original 1967 Fender Mustang. I bought it on eBay after just seeing a few photos and asking a total stranger in San Francisco a couple of questions by email. That was it. I paid up and asked the seller to keep it safe for me. Three months later I flew to San Francisco to collect it and brought it back to London. I didn't even have time to try it out before flying home (the seller encouraged me to but I had to leave).

Fortunately (fate?) the guitar is awesome. The really short scale (22.5") fits me like a glove. I have sometimes considered selling it to stem cashflow problems but I don't think I could ever actually part with it. After all, I have so many other guitars gathering dust since the Mustang arrived!

Yes, some may say that I was totally lucky and that I should never do it again but hey, I had a blast collecting it and I knew that the resale value in the UK was probably double what I paid in the States.

I know this doesn't help you Animal Boy, and if you're on a tight budget then I suggest you play it safe and try as many as possible before deciding. Get the shop to show you how the guitar can be set up differently to totally alter the way it plays and sounds. A tip that I often give - and many people think I'm crazy - is to try it with different straps. You'd be amazed at how different straps balance the weight of the guitar on your shoulder!! A good shop will not mind if you stay all day just trying different things, but never feel pressurised into buying something you're not comfortable with just because the shop assistant puts on a hard sell or they want to close the store.

I'd still go for an old Mustang Bass, probably around 1973... :mrgreen:
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on June 6th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Ahem! Talking of mega salaries,Buglet... :blbl:

Don

(or very big piggy-wiggy banks) ;)
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Animal Boy on June 7th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. This would be my first purchase of a bass so I have no idea what to do when shopping for one. Only thing I do know for sure is that I'm set on a Steinberger model.Both apperance & price is important to me & while I prefer the look of the Synapse the affect on my wallet has to take priority.So I'm now leaning towards the $400.00 Spirit model.I don't know if this is common among guitar/bass players but I'm excited at the thought of picking out/buying my very first bass.Anyone else get that feeling the first time they bought theres? And one more question.There are two models of the bass that I want.One with & one without a DB-Tuner. Is a DB-Tuner a must?

Here's the 4 string model I meant to post a pic of in the original post.

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby Buglet on June 7th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Mr.DRC wrote:mega salaries

Don't you get those in Brum? You should move to London! :blbl:

Or maybe I'm just willing to go the extra mile (or a few thousand miles) to get a beautiful guitar in the prime of its life, regardless of cost.

I'm actually in the market for a new guitar myself. Currently it's down to a 1972 Mustang in Competition Orange or a Telecaster Thinline 1972 reissue in Shell Pink. Money-wise it's £2k+ (and it's in the USA) versus £550. Financially it should be an easy decision but I can't shake off that Mustang effect! I also have to replace my acoustic that I rashly gave to my niece in a moment of madness after hearing her play it, but I'm only going to get a cheapo Stratacoustic for now.

Now Don, where shall I spend my millions?

:mrgreen:
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Mr.DRC on June 7th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Buglet wrote:
Now Don,where shall I spend my millions?

Well,as an ongoing convalesant,your offer is most courteous and timely. There is the Easterley option,wherein
we surprise The Family Veldkamp on a heaving Saturday afternoon in LaLaLand.Doubtless much vinyl turntablism and sparkling TH-related repartee would ensue...
Yet, the Western Route beckons.I hear Cock Island,Connecticut is this years place of pilgrimage for the devoted. A brace of strapping Roadies should suffice for your banjo collection,+ two of course for mine Sedan Chair.
Now,where's my passport?

:P ;)

Don

p.s. Animal Boy.Any chance of showing me a picture of a guitar? :roll:

:D
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Animal Boy on June 7th, 2010, 9:21 pm

So...I guess the DB-Tuner isn't needed?

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Postby cyberyukon on June 11th, 2010, 7:51 am

Hmmm. I've never played one of these but I know I'd want to spend some quality time with one before I forked over some dough.

I would spend a day at the local guitar place sampling a variety of bass guitars.

If this is your first instrument be careful. A lot of newcomers to the guitar/stringed instrument word will buy a bass guitar because it's a bit easier (and maybe not as intimidating) to play as compared to a regular guitar. This is true, but it also means that you may become bored faster with it.

Don't get me wrong--there are some pretty extreme bass players out there who make the thing walk and talk in a way that makes us mere mortals cringe. If your goal is to slap the fret board like Flea and create all sort of dizzying bass riffs all the power to you.

But many songs have (relatively) simple riffs and don't require a lot of virtuoso performance (unless you re-arrange it yourself). Translation: kinda repetitive and boring to play, especially on your own.

The good news is that, if you ever want to join a band, you maybe in luck. It seems that everyone wants to be a lead guitarist or lead singer. Bass players can be hard to find. And if you do take your playing to an advanced level and you can find a good band to compliment your style you can really rock the house!
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Buglet on July 4th, 2010, 5:22 pm

So then Animal Boy, did you buy your dream bass?
Buglet
Papa Legba

Postby Animal Boy on July 4th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Buglet wrote:So then Animal Boy, did you buy your dream bass?

No,not yet.
I'm the type who likes to start planning months in advance so that's what I'm doing here.
Only thing I'm sure about right now is the brand that i want.

Animal Boy
Gangster of Love

Return to NO HEADS, JUST TALKING