Metacritic's Top-Rated Albums of 2008

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Metacritic's Top-Rated Albums of 2008

Postby cyberyukon on October 12th, 2008, 10:33 pm

As of this week, here they are. Metacritic's top-rated albums of 2008:

1). Underoath - Lost in the Sound of Separation
2). Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs; the Bootleg Series Vol. 8
3). The Bug - London Zoo
4). Shugo Tokumaru - Exit
5). B.B. King - One Kind Favor
6). Plush - Fed
7). TV On The Radio - Dear Science
8). Aaron Parks - Invisible Cinema
9). The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
10). Paavoharju - Laulu Laakson Kukista
11). Randy Newman - Harps and Angels

Has anyone heard any of these and if so, what are your thoughts?
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Re: Metacritic's Top-Rated Albums of 2008

Postby Ruben on October 16th, 2008, 11:08 pm

I actually have B.B. King's "One Kind Favor", and it's a really good album. He's over 80 years old and his voice is still so great, it is unbelieveably good, amazing. But it's not on my top 10 of 2008. If I had to choose my favourite blues album of '08, that would be Buddy Guy's "Skin Deep" I think, the guitar solos on that album are mindblowing, it's one of the best studio albums of his career (his studio albums aren't THAT good, his live albums are classics though). I also have the TV on the Radio album but I haven't heard it properly yet... some people say it's the best album of the year, but for some reason I could never get into them. Will try it soon though. My favourite album of this year is still "Accelerate" by R.E.M.. IT ROCKS big time. And on the Top 5, I have..... The Last Shadow Puppets (beautiful, wonderful, incredible little album, I haven't heard a record with so many memorable songs since The Beatles' "Please Please Me"), Panic at the Disco's "Pretty Odd" (another great album... I used to hate them when they released their previous album, they were these little Emo kids doing stupid things on MTV, but this album is amazing, and it has a Beatles-Dylan-Kinks-60's-FlowerPower influenced sound which is great). Then, The Dears' "Missiles", which is probably my second favourite album of 2008 (EPIC!), and... maybe Coldplay, I don't know. Or Byrne/Eno.

Will make a proper list, when this year finishes. There are still a couple of albums I'm waiting for!. Including "Chinese Democracy" by Axl Rose (is it still GN'R?!?!, lol!), which is finally going to be released in late November. There is already a cover art and an official tracklist, so this time is for real.

Guilty pleasure of the year for me is Lil Wayne's "Got Money". CATCHY STUFF!! :D
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby Chandler on October 21st, 2008, 11:21 am

Of the Metacritics top 10, I've listened to only two, those by Dylan, Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series Vol. 8, and TV On the Radio, Dear Science.

The Dylan 2CD set is an official compilation of alternate takes, soundtrack songs, etc. from Oh Mercy to the present, and is as revelatory as his autobiographical book from 2004, Chronicles. I remain fascinated at how a musician can take a song such as "Mississippi," change the tempo and lyrical emphasis and essentially make a different song. Vol. 8 is my favourite of his Bootleg Series... one of the finest albums of the year, indeed...

Chandler
Chandler
Ruby Dear

Postby Eke on November 21st, 2008, 2:57 pm

I love The Bug's album. It's really all about the rhythm with toasting/MCing/rapping on the top. Heavy duty stuff.

TV On The Radio are great - I would have thought they'd be popular with TH people. They have that math rock thing going on but they're more organically funky with it.

I'm a convert to Dylan via the last three studio albums and as such the new Bootleg compilation holds some interest for me. It's a bit of a curate's egg though.
Eke
Mojique

Postby reno on December 1st, 2008, 7:41 pm

Only TV on the Radio. They really are terrific. Shame 'Everything' isn't on there. Or Grace Jones. Or Parenthetical Girls. Or No-Man's 'Schoolyard Ghosts. Or...oh I give up.
reno
Television man

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY