Pink Floyd

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Pink Floyd

Postby Camden Furse on October 23rd, 2009, 5:50 am

Just finally got around to downloading their entire discography.

Wow. What a journey.

I had always held "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals" in higher regard over what all the standard Pink Floyd listeners consider the best ("Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall", more on my opinions later), but when I finally started to get all their stuff, I finally realized what I was missing. They were very hit and miss as their career grew older, but still pertained a sound that is amazingly refreshing even in today's world. It's hard to imagine them starting in the late 60s (granted, a lot of groundbreaking techniques were being used in those days, but still, Floyd stood out).

Here's my analysis of each album, if you'll bear with me: (alphabetically)

Animals
4.5/5

A great experiment. I always enjoyed the lyric "Ha Ha Charade You Are" from "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" and I eventually got around to getting the album it came from. Well-enjoyed.

Atom Heart Mother
4/5

Despite the band's detest for this album (read on Wikipedia), I quite enjoyed it. The opener is pretty dragged out, but I enjoyed it's experimentation. The closer equally so.

Dark Side of the Moon
3.5/5

The first album of theirs I bought many years ago, and it's still never had a huge impression on me. I never denied it's influence, but 'Money" is the only track I listen to frequently. Is something wrong with me?

The Division Bell
2.5/5

Sadly, their last album holds little regard over me. A couple good tracks here and there, but you could tell their sound was detiorating.

The Final Cut
2/5

One word: pretentious. Sorry, guys, I know you tried, but there is very little salvagable from this.

Meddle
5/5

Wow. I always enjoyed "Echoes" for it's seemingly never-ending vibrations, but the rest of the album is equally unnerving. Brilliant.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason
2.5/5

Another one of my least favorites. I enjoyed "Sorrow", but the drum machine effect was not made for Floyd.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
3.5/5

Hell of a starter for these guys. From the opening track, it hooks you in. You could tell these guys were off to do bigger and better with their career.

Relics
3/5

Though not an 'official' album, I'll count it since it contained mostly B-sides. Hit and miss, but good hits.

A Saucerful of Secrets
3.5/5

Hasn't stood out to me so far, but when it comes up I thoroughly enjoy it.

Ummagumma
3/5

Another of the band's least favorite, and I can tell why. While the live stuff is brilliant, the studio stuff doesn't really hold any themes and was more experimental then anything.

The Wall
4/5

Just saw the film for the first time as well. Good stuff, visually, and while the music doesn't always work with it, the album is very much a one-of-a-kind. "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You" are still some of the greatest songs ever written.

Wish You Were Here
5/5

Still my all-time favorite. Beautiful, mesmerizing, what else can I say? Everytime I listen to it, I learn something profound about my life. Well done, gents.

This was well-worth the many hours it took to obtain the material, but I'm glad I did so. Shine on, you crazy diamonds.
"Hello, we're murderers...er, Twix, please.
Camden Furse
Mojique

Re: Pink Floyd

Postby Nowhereman on April 18th, 2010, 12:44 pm

I find it a bit strange you don't like Dark side more...but each to their own...
I don't like WYWH. I mean, as an album. i love the title track and the Shine on's but the other 2 tracks esp. HAC don't do it for me.
The Wall's grown on me but it's all a bit heavy going. I heard a dj say once he was 'immune to it's charms'. and i can see what he means but there's loads of good songs on there. The other drawback is The trial. I just don't like it. It's too out of step with the instrumentation on the other songs. They needed a better epic dramatic rock finale something like See me feel me from Tommy.
i pretty much agree with you on the other albums although i've not been able to get through the post Roger ones. :D

You didn't mention More and Obscured by clouds.
They're both a bit patchy but worth getting for the good stuff although there's only a coupla really good ones on More that' aren't on Relics.
This must be the space
Nowhereman
Ruby Dear

Re: Pink Floyd

Postby Ruben on August 14th, 2010, 1:25 am

Try this...

Grab your CD of Dark Side of the Moon and copy it to your PC using iTunes (import settings: Apple Lossless Encoder)
Copy it to your iPod
Go to bed, make sure no one will disturb you, turn off the lights
Put the headphones on (good headphones, Sennheiser or something like that) and press play.
Travel through the universe
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY