Death Magnet!!

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Death Magnet!!

Postby cyberyukon on September 17th, 2008, 7:10 am

Just wunderin' if anyone's heard it yet and then, if so, how she be?

Always concerned about Metallica ever since the symphony album and Lars' .mp3 "frak the fans" rants....

:rockdude: :rockdude:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Re: Death Magnet!!

Postby Mr.DRC on September 17th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Cyber, not an afficianado of said plank spankers but few snippets...

U.K. stores sold the album prior Off.Release date as (Old Virgin) Zavvi sold to punters last Wednesday rather than this Mon. gone.

Brum Big HMV was playing on heavy in-store rotation as Me n' Lone Son perused the building last Weekend
...after we attended a City Council sponsored Open Day at a Freemasons Temple/Lodge.Who wants a de-briefing then?...as we left I remarked the riffs may have come straight from Ye Olde Play-In-A-Day "HEAVY
RIFFS" Textbook...Not as we left the 'Masons Lodge,obviously.Ah,but maybe...;-)

But,sorry I'm hopeless at links,I urge all to go to BBC News Online Website and Search "Mrs Sarkozy meets
Metallicca on TV " on Jools Holland Later Prog - witch | fought woz a ripeat an neva luuked at las noight !
Be concerned,Cyber.Be very concerned...

(Rene,sooo glad about MU and you know how to do links and I bet you saw Joolz?)
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby reno on September 17th, 2008, 7:13 pm

I haven't listened to Metallica since I was a teenager. Are they still relevant? If so then they'd be the only band of the classic era metal bands that is.

My new students started last week and there's quite a few into Metallica. One chap had a 'Masters of Puppets' t-shirt, I smiled and reminisced. When I got home I dug out my Puppets vinyl but couldn't bring myself to put it on!
reno
Television man

Postby iRene on September 17th, 2008, 8:59 pm

"Later" is on here for a few days- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dm7l5 , but I don't think that's any help outside GB, so youtube comes up trumps again with- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6HMAPyt08A.

Copy and paste, Don. ;)
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby iRene on September 19th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Ahoy there! Some controversy about the quality it seems, shipmates.

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/39816

Shiver me timbers, it's "talk like a pirate" day mateys. Arrr!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby reno on September 19th, 2008, 10:32 pm

...tell me about it. My pirate accent is always being confused with my West Country (England) accent. They have similar qualities but whenever I attempt either one they all get meshed together, me hearty.
reno
Television man

Postby Ruben on September 21st, 2008, 6:26 pm

I've been listening to "Death Magnetic" a lot lately and I gotta say I really like it. I'm not a Metallica fan, or a heavy metal fan at all, but sometimes my ears need something powerful and loud, and this album is just perfect for that. It's much much better than their 2003 disaster "St. Anger" (have you ever seen the documentary "Some Kind of Monster", about the making of that album?, it's absolutely terrific), but it does sound too repetivive and similar at times, it's a good record but not excellent. The single (Day that never comes) is an epic long tune that kinda brings back the powerful and angry sound that the band had circa the "One"/...And Justice for All era. The other track I love (my favourite on the album at the mo') is "The Unforgiven III". It's nowhere near as good the other two previous parts, but it does have a mindblowing guitar solo, Kirk is definetly back in shape. He's one of the best guitarists I have ever heard. Those are the two standout tracks for me, the others are just too fast & furious, and very similar, but still really good, especially for "All Nightmare Long" and the first track, "That Was Just Your Life". The instrumental track on the album is good but way too long to the point it becomes boring. "Cynade" is another good track.
I don't know, I don't think it will be on my top 10 of 2008, it's a good album but this year has been great for music so far, so there are a lot of other albums I prefer rather than this one. And yes, the sound quality isn't great for some reason, just like that article says. Especially the drums, they sound a bit weird, but that might be also because Lars isn't great on this album for some reason, he's not "on fire" like on the black album days.
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY