Recent Purchases

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Recent Purchases

Postby reno on March 27th, 2009, 12:14 am

Hi Kids

Despite the global economy heading down the pan I've been busy buying records as usual. Here's a list of some new faves:

. Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline - these guys are incredible. Gorgeous ambient drone.
. Tim Hecker - one of my new heroes. His new album is called 'An Imaginary Country', wonderful distorted electronics.
. Johann Johannsson - Fordlandia. This album is glorious post-classical beauty.
. Bear McCreathy - Battlestar Galactica soundtracks. Seriously, this guy is incredible. The music played an important role in the reimagined TV series and is worth checking out even if you've never seen the show. But you really should see the programme!
. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes. This is a dark, guitar/electronic post-rock masterpiece. From the man behind Porcupine Tree and the sadly underrated No-Man. (www.no-man.co.uk)

Anyone have other recommendations?

R
reno
Television man

Re: Recent Purchases

Postby Eke on April 1st, 2009, 3:07 pm

I love Fordlandia, and his previous one IBM 1401, as well as that Stars Of The Lid album; I'll have to check out your other recommendations. In a similar (-ish) vein I would recommend Philip Jeck's Sand and Fennesz' Black Sea.

But for one album I've really enjoyed recently, the best start-to-end, joyful, fun experience since Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, I recommend The Decemberists' The Hazards Of Love. I've been sort of pottering around the edges of liking them for a long while now and have never been convinced but this is a great album. Crazy folk tunes based around an attempted musical. I have no idea what the musical's story could have been like as the album's basically mad but I bet it would have been an enthralling night out.
Eke
Mojique

Postby reno on April 2nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

I'll check The Decemberists out fir sure as they sound very me. I'm also into Labradford as well. Might be your thing.

Been listening to the new davidbyrne radio stream and its marvelous. Highlights for me include Fever Ray. She's one member of the band The Knife. Based on the radio stream I picked up her album on the way home from work this evening. Its really wonderful. A slick combination of electronica, fold, avant-garde pop. Great stuff. Imagine Talking Heads being recreated by cybernetic aliens from the future and you're almost there.
:breakdance:
reno
Television man

Postby Eke on April 3rd, 2009, 9:18 am

Blimey reno, Fever Ray eh? We're listening to the same things... Have you tried the Telepathe album as well? I think it's the other half of The Knife but as I don't know much about them I'm not completely sure.
Eke
Mojique

Postby reno on April 4th, 2009, 9:59 pm

I picked up The Decemberists album on your recommendation and you're completely right, terrific album!
reno
Television man

Postby reno on April 10th, 2009, 4:19 am

'The Hazards of Love' by The Decemberists could be my album of the decade. Exquisite.
reno
Television man

Postby Eke on April 15th, 2009, 9:34 am

I'm so glad you liked it - it's really nerve wracking to know that a recommendation has caused someone to splash out on a CD. I'm absolutely loving that Tim Hecker album as it goes - maybe not going to be album of the decade but excellent stuff nonetheless.

I have the Steven Wilson CD cued up and ready to listen to on the iPod but I seem to have been distracted by a swathe of those Elvis Costello 2CDs (from Get Happy through to Goodbye Cruel World) that came out a few years ago which I didn't bother with at the time.

Anyone else have anything to recommend?
Eke
Mojique

Postby remaininlight on April 18th, 2009, 6:24 pm

I've just discovered the Malian singer/songwriter/guitarist Rokia Traore. Her new album is Tchamantche. Her voice is gorgeous, and the songs range from spare and haunting to danceable, rhythmic world music. This album excites me, and I haven't been excited by a new album in a while. If you like Ali Farka Toure, you'll like Rokia Traore. (Ali Farka Toure recorded an album with Ry Cooder in 1994 called Talking Timbuktu that is also fabulous.)
remaininlight
Mojique

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY