The In Rainbows Effect

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

The In Rainbows Effect

Postby Ruben on March 26th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Here's the story.

When Radiohead's "In Rainbows" came out in late 2007, I downloaded it for free from the official site, listened to it once and I just didn't like at all. I didn't like Radiohead except for some of the obvious singles, "Creep" and, well, that was about it. I also kinda liked "There There". But for some reason, I hated In Rainbows, and I really didn't understand all the fuss about it, critics, fans, everyone seemed to love it. But I didn't understand it. I really didn't like Thom Yorke's voice, and after listening the first three songs on the album, the only thing I ended up with was a big headache.

A year went by, I tried it again. This time, for some reason, I really got into the first track, "15 Step". How was it that I hated this a year ago?, it's an incredible track, the percussion is great, the guitar is fantastic. It's so frenetic. I started to like it more and more everyday. But still, I didn't like the rest of the album, way too weird for me. Then, I take a look at the Grammy nominees, and I see House of Cards got nominated for Best Rock song of the year, among other categories. I don't pay attention to the Grammy nominees anymore, most of the times, bad, commercial, immediate bubblegum pop music gets the nominations and awards. But that, for some reason, made me go and listen to "House of Cards". I was surprised once again. How did I possibly not like this?, I'm starting to like this haunting vocals, in fact, it sounds incredibly good, I even have the line "forget about the house of cards...." stuck in my head!

Ok, I decided to give the album a third try. I put on my iPod, selected "random songs", and started by listening to "15 Step". The rest was going to be a surprise. This happened about a week ago. "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" comes next. I can't believe it. It sounds amazing on my headphones. Then comes "Reckoner" and the very first seconds of it make my head explode and I stop listening to the album. A while later I give it another try, "15 Step" again then.. "All I Need". I adored it. The instrumentation from 02:54 insantly became some of the best music I've heard in my life. At this point I can't believe this album anymore, the effect is having on me. I hated it at first, it gave me a headache, but now... the ones I mentioned, are so amazing, I realized they are seriously some of the best songs I've heard in years. Two days ago, early morning... I give the album another try but this time on the big speakers. Random mode again, and I start with "Faust Arp". Wonderful. Beautiful. Haunting once again. This track reminded me of those great early acoustic Beatles songs, but this sounded, traditional but at the same time, really up to date.

It had been a long while since I really got inside a song, if you know what I mean. Just to be clear, I wasn't high or anything, it was just the wonderful effect of music. Then comes "Bodysnatchers", and "Nude", and I loved them, I understood them for the very first time. I have realized that there is a fine line between love and hate. This album hasn't finished his mission yet. There are some songs I still can't get into, like "Reckoner" and "Videotape". But I'm sure I will like them eventually, simply because I want to, and I will figure them out. Do you know when someone says that an album or a song is a "grower"?, that you like it after a couple of listens?. Well, it took me well over a year to like and understand In Rainbows. But now that I do, it seems that... I don't want to listen to anything else.

I think Cybie once said on the old Bulletin Board, "Their music has a way of getting inside your head". Now I get it! He was not exaggerating, and I'm not either, honestly.

:rockdude:

I wonder if "OK Computer" is this good.
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Re: The In Rainbows Effect

Postby bigideas on March 27th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Ruben wrote:I wonder if "OK Computer" is this good.

It's one of the best albums of all time.

The Bends and Kid A are both great.

Everything else is good, too.

I actually went and bought Remain in Light after Thom talked about it in an interview. I had seen the Once in a Lifetime video some when I was younger and it always stuck out, but I think it was Thom's mention that made me go buy it.

He also mentioned Fear of Music on Radiohead's Dead Airspace a long time ago.
click. click. see ya later.
bigideas
Ruby Dear

Postby Cole on March 28th, 2009, 7:18 am

Wow.That's a cool story of getting into an album.I love that album also.I pretty much loved it from the start but I can easily see how someone could have your experience.I did the same thing with Sonic Yoith's Rather Ripped.
Cole
Mojique

Postby cyberyukon on March 29th, 2009, 7:56 am

Lol--It's weird how Radiohead does that. Glad you found their religion, Ruben!

"In Rainbows" isn't a very complicated album. The songs could have been constructed in a day or two each. But it's the colors that are used and how they are used that give them their unique beauty. They avoid the sort of standard pop formula but yet don't nosedive completely into the experimental Tomita-esque electronica that was "Kid A" and "Amnesiac".

Apparently, there was a plan to release an extended version of the album. That version contained a handful of other, extra tracks. I remember Amazon had them listed as part of the tracklisting when the album first became available for regular release. But then they disappeared. It would be nice if we could acquire those tracks at some point.

Also, Radiohead have just released updated version of their first three albums complete with b-sides and live tracks. The prices are a bit steep, though, but songs like "Street Spirit", "No Surprises", "Let Down" and "How to Disappear Completely" won't do you wrong. And what's not to love about the mysterious "Hail to the Thief"?
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby Eke on March 30th, 2009, 2:33 pm

cyberyukon wrote:Apparently, there was a plan to release an extended version of the album. That version contained a handful of other, extra tracks. I remember Amazon had them listed as part of the tracklisting when the album first became available for regular release. But then they disappeared. It would be nice if we could acquire those tracks at some point.

You mean you didn't get the 2*CD + 2*12" limited edition diskbox? Tut tut...
Eke
Mojique

Postby reno on March 31st, 2009, 10:04 pm

Agree with all of the above. Its a truly great album and their best since OK Computer. Despite their avant-pop/rock affectations its in their tenderest moments which they shine the brightest. House of Cards is one of the most beautiful tracks ever recorded, its up their with songs such as Blackwater by Rain Tree Crow.
reno
Television man

Postby cyberyukon on April 1st, 2009, 8:39 am

No--lol. I figured the tracks would be made available for regular release at some point! Well, here it is and I'm still waiting...
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby bigideas on April 1st, 2009, 3:48 pm

cyberyukon wrote:

No--lol. I figured the tracks would be made available for regular release at some point! Well, here it is and I'm still waiting...

I'm not certain, but I think some were used for b-sides on IR single releases.
click. click. see ya later.
bigideas
Ruby Dear

Postby Ruben on April 9th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Thanks for all your comments. I have just bought OK Computer, will give it a good listen tonight.

With a good glass of wine. :biere:
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY