Best of 2008

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Best of 2008

Postby Ruben on December 4th, 2008, 3:17 am

Well people, 2008 is coming to an end and I gotta say that in my opinion, this was an EXCELLENT year for music. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's my favourite year since I started listening to music back in 2002. So many great records were released, I think every important artist/band in the world released one this year except for Franz Ferdinand and U2, which are coming out in '09.

Here's a list of some of my favourite 2008 albums, I really can't put them in order because they are all great, but if I had to choose number 1, that would definetly be Chinese Democracy, I can't get it outta my head, and I like it!. And "Accelerate" has to be number 2, it's the best R.E.M. record in years and it absolutely rocks.

Guns N' Roses, Chinese Democracy
R.E.M., Accelerate
The Dears, Missiles (epic)
Juliana Hatfield, How to Walk Away
Buddy Guy, Skin Deep
Coldplay, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
The Raconteurs, Consolers of the Lonely
David Byrne/Brian Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
The Last Shadow Puppets, The Age of the Understatement
Adele, 19
Peter Gabriel & Various Artists, Big Blue Ball
Steve Winwood, Nine Lives
Cansei de Ser Sexy, Donkey
No-Man, Schoolyard Ghosts (thanks to Rich for this great recomendation)
Metallica, Death Magnetic (not my favourite but worth mentioning)
Panic at the Disco, Pretty. Odd. (you know, this is actually really great, they are not an EMO band anymore, the guys started listening to Beatles, Kinks and Bob Dylan, and the influence is very noticeable. I loved it. And it's very catchy. I hope they continue this way)
Girl Talk, Feed the Animals (this one is amazing, it's great the way this guy used all those samples, he truly made a work of art. And you can download it for free or pay what you want for it, a lá Radiohead!, just go to http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/)

I really liked the Grace Jones album but I still have to listen to it more. "Williams' Blood" is terrific...
And I still have to listen to Fall Out Boy's "Folie a Deux". I love the band, they are really fun, and the single "I Don't Care" was amazing so it seems that it should be very good.

Some really great compilation albums were released this year as well... like "Nothing But the Best" by Frank Sinatra, digitally remastered with a previously unreleased bonus track and a great live DVD. It is without a doubt the best Sinatra compilation for casual listeners. "25: The Greatest Hits" by Simply Red is amazing too, great sound quality. I love their songs.

Again, this was a great year for music. Damn, even Britney Spears released some singles I liked!. That reminds me... guilty pleasures of the year:

Lil' Wayne featuring T-Pain - "Got Money"
Britney Spears - "Womanizer"
New Kids on the Block - "Single"
Beyoncé - "If I Were a Boy" (this is actually really good, no kidding)

And that's it, don't kill me!
Am I crazy? Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?!?
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Re: Best of 2008

Postby reno on December 4th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Oh, go on then...here's my favourite ten of this year

Everything Than Happens Will Happen Today - DB/BE
Schoolyard Ghosts - No-Man
Distortion - The Magnetic Fields
Hurricane - Grace Jones (!)
Made in the Dark - Hot Chip
Entanglements - Parenthetical Girls
Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust - Sigur Rós
Everything/Everything - Simon Bookish
Feed the Animals - Girl Talk (thanks Ruben!)
Heartcore - Wildbirds and Peacedrums (probably my favourite of the year)
reno
Television man

Postby Ruben on December 15th, 2008, 6:04 pm

well, time to make my TOP 10. I think I can now.

1. Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
2. R.E.M. - Accelerate
3. Joe Jackson - Rain
4. David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
5. Juliana Hatfield - How to Walk Away
7. The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement
8. Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
9. The Dears - Missiles
10. Richard Marx - Emotional Remains/Sundown

Favourite compilation: Frank Sinatra - Nothing But the Best
Favourite live album: Christopher Cross - The Café Carlyle Sessions

I love to make this kind of lists, lol!.
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby Ruben on December 15th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Oh, and number 6 - Cansei de Ser Sexy - Donkey
Ruben
Gangster of Love

Postby francey on December 16th, 2008, 10:48 am

Made a top 10 album last for my blog last week, just read it back and still agree with myself, so here's the translated edition :

1. Lykke Li - "Youth Novels"
Is it electro? folk? Swedish? remakable? cool? hot? Well, it's all of this and more. Lykke Li is a sort of Swedish Bjork with a kazoo who doesn't fit in any category. Produced by one of the Peter, Paul and John guys.
Top track: "Dance Dance dance". Here's an acoustic clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-3Znrbh6c

2. Hercules & Love Affair - "Hercules & Love Affair"
Disco ain't dead yet! Dj-ing discofreak teams up with Antony (of the Johnsons) and James Murphy's DFA for the best (abd ibky) try old-skool disco record of the year.
Top track: "Blind". Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb8S51M2GAc

3. Grace Jones - "Hurricane"
Amazing grace is back. With a little help of people like Sly & Robbie, Wendy & Lisa and Brain Eno. The record looses a bit of it's edge near the end, but overall it's probably her best album ever. Go see her on stage throughout Europe in 2009 (I've got tickets for London (2x) and Amsterdam :-)
Top track: "William's Blood". Live at Jools Holland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMYI3Z7m0c

4. Spektr - "B/W vs. Technicolor"
Danish trio Spektr (not to be confused with the french black metal band that goes by the same name) has it's own way of going back to the 80s. Packed in the most beautiful cover of the year, "B/W vs Technicolor" sounds like the soundtrack to the worst 80's B-movies that were never made. Hopefully on tour in 2009, and released and distrubted by Dutch label Tocado records.
Top track: "The Goat Legged Fella". Clip "Things that go Bump in the Night": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g20spIwS0ac

5. Ting Ting's - "We Started Nothing"
Put a drummer, a singing guitarplayer and a backingtrack on stage and you've got theTing Ting's! Simply fun, very energetic and influenced by the right music. Great debut album, more "ah-ah-ah's" than Franz Ferdinand and a lot of drums, drums, drums, drums, drums.
Top track: "Great DJ". Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJnsqGgxxM

6. The Long Blondes - "Couples"
Just a fantastic alternative indie rock record with a little bit of electronics. One of the few records were the released singles are the least interesting tracks on the album.
Top track: "I'm Going to Hell". Video for "Nostalgia" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnp9ovzS6Ks

7. Sons & Daughters - "This Gift"
The most infectious guitar record of the year. Sons & Daughters know how to make a gripping single that you can't get out of your head, to quote the great poet Kylie.
Top track: "Gilt Complex". Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGxzg7-GQo

8. Last Shadow Puppets - "Age of the Understatement"
In the year where the best British bands seem to come from the US, Last Shadow Puppets proved that Beatle-haircuts, harmonic vocals and violins are still pretty cool. Part Artic Monkeys with a bit of Rascals, et voila.
Top track: "Age of the Understatement". Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyK79PHTiKw

9. Ladytron - "Velocifero"
Electropop is pretty much 'over' in 2008, but Ladytron once again manages to create an electric-based record taht sounds both exciting and mysterious. The mix is thick as helle and Velocifero needs to be listened to a few times before you 'get it'. Live on stage, ladytron is still pretty much hopeless because of the overdose of echo and effects on all channels, but the record is a winner.
Top track: "Runaway". Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMynl9QX7g

10. Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - "Angels"
Beat poet Scroobius Pip rapt over de bizarre beats van laptopper Dan le Sac. Eerst kennismaing was "Thou Shall Always Kill" en op het afgelopen zomer uitgekomen album wordt het nergens beter dan die ene track. Toch een heel verfrissend white boys hiphop album met teksten die net even verder gaan dan wat in het genre gebruikelijk is - "the Beatles were just a band".
Top song: "Thou Shall Always Kill". Clipje hier.

MGMT's "Oracular Spectacular" could have made it to the top 10 easily if the album wouldn't have sound so terrible. Totally ruined in the mix, just to sound okay on ipods and other mp3 players, the record lacks dynamics - no highs, no lows, everything too loud and no details at all. What a waste.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby iRene on December 22nd, 2008, 8:29 pm

Oh dear, looks like I've got some catching up to do, the only one of these I've bought is "Everything..."

Nick Cave's "Dig, Lazarus, dig" is another fine one no one has mentioned yet.

I haven't bought much because this year's gigs have been a bit expensive but the quality has been amazing. Top 5 gigs in reverse order:
5. Feist
4. Nick Cave
3. Neil Young
2. Jim White
1. Tom Tom Club (of course!)
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
iRene
Papa Legba

Postby francey on December 22nd, 2008, 11:45 pm

Yeah, the Nick Cave album was another great one - ok, number 11... and Portishead... number 12.

Concerts?

10. The Residents (Paard van Troje, Den Haag, NL)
9. Ting Ting's (Melkweg, Amsterdam, NL)
8. Mark Stewart & the Maffia (Paard van Troje, Den Haag, NL)
7. Devo (McDarren Pool, Brooklyn, NY, US)
6. The Pierces (Living Room, NYC, USA)
5. The B-52's (Paradiso, Amsterdam, NL)
4. Hercules & Love Affair (Watt, Rotterdam, NL)
3. Lykke Li (Doornroosje, Nijmegen, NL)
2. Tom Tom Club (Fleet Pavillion, Boston, USA)
2. Grace Jones (Lokeren, Belgium)
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Camden Furse on December 29th, 2008, 10:01 pm

I couldn't make a list of music from this year specifically, but I'll make a list of albums in general that I have fallen in love with this last year. (to tell you the truth, a lot of new music bores me anyway)

Aimee Mann - The "Magnolia" Soundtrack
Akron/Family - Love is Simple
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
The Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up
Beck - Modern Guilt
Beck - Mellow Gold
Belle & Sebastian - Push Barman to Open Old Wounds
The Beta Band - The Three E.P.'s
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul
The Black Keys - Magic Potion
Bob Dylan - Dylan
Cake - B-Sides & Rarities
Connie Price & the Keystones - Wildflowers
David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Depeche Mode - Ultra
Django Reinhardt - Djangology
The Doors - Very Best of the Doors
The Dutchess & The Duke - She's the Dutchess, He's the Duke
Eagles of Death Metal - Peace, Love, Death Metal
Eels - Souljacker
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Hank Williams - 20 Greatest Hits
Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - "The Dark Knight" Soundtrack
Heartless Bastards - Stairs & Elevators
The Hives - The Black & White Album
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jon Brion - "Magnolia" Soundtrack
Led Zeppelin - Mothership
Medeski, (Scofield), Martin & Wood - Out Louder
Metallica - S&M
Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites
Miles Davis - Round About Midnight
Mr. Bungle - California
Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
Pedro the Lion - Achilles' Heel
Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Sea & Cake - Everybody
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
The Strokes - Is This It?
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Tom Waits - Used Songs 1973-1980
Trocadero - Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
Ween - Quebec
Wilco - A Ghost is Born
!!! - Chk Chik Chick

I recommend every album on here to every human being on the planet.
"Hello, we're murderers...er, Twix, please.
Camden Furse
Mojique

Postby cyberyukon on December 30th, 2008, 7:02 am

Let me just toss out what I think were, for me, the best moments of 2008.

When space, time and the right combination of melodies or arrangements gave a song that sweet-spot level of beauty and pushed it beyond just an ordinary combination of major or minor chords. The kind that imprint themselves onto your emotions and memories and achieve a level of depth that sends the soul soaring.

Here:

1). The second verse of "Supernatural Superserious", when the jams kick in.

2). The swells in the Cure's "Underneath the Stars". Wistful and contemplative.

3). The lyrics of Mellencamp's "Don't Need This Body". This gettin' older, well it ain't for cowards.

4). The lyrics to Kid Rock's "All Summer Long". Because heck, I be from Northern Michigan and can appreciate the imagery in a way that...well... you can't.

5). As I'm driving down Las Vegas Blvd. on a Friday night, watching the lights and people and everything around me slow to a silent slow-motion when hearing "Rivers" and "Forest" from "Big Blue Ball".

6). The final refrain in David Byrne/Brian Eno's "Home". Oh, how I wish this was a Talking Heads album. But alas...

8). John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" which can really only be appreciated when standing in the shadow of the great mammoth mountains of the American southwest. To God we are nothing.

And, of course...

7). Coldplay's "Poppyfields" off of "Prospekt's March". The moment of death captured with eternity shimmering above. Listen to it. You'll see the beauty here.

:xmas:
cyberyukon
Papa Legba

Postby reno on December 30th, 2008, 11:22 am

Just got Arve Henriksen's 'Cartography'. Think this is definitely an album of 2008 for me. Exquisite.
reno
Television man

Postby radiocitizen on April 20th, 2009, 3:28 am

I'm biased, but in any case my #1 Album of 2008 :arrow: David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
MORE DARK THAN SHARK - a website dedicated to Brian Eno
http://www.moredarkthanshark.org
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
radiocitizen
Mojique

Postby Mr.DRC on April 20th, 2009, 9:34 am

radiocitizen.You are, what we aptly term round-our-way, A Lick :shock:
Move over, two can slurp at that game :o
A'course, that is until a certain Island Records 50th Anniversary dual re-issue hits the shelves ;)
" Yes...another word you might entertain DRC rhymes very much with sleep" :?:
Oscar WildWildLife

p.s. as a barometer of how much I am wide awake this a.m.(well I was earlier DH ;) I saw Ruben-Happy Belated for Yesterday-'s instigating post, and thought by turning 20 (all downhill now,Mate!) he had somehow
forfeited the opening months of 2009?!

There may be trouble ahead, da da da, da da.......
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY