Transmitter. . . Picking up something good!

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Transmitter. . . Picking up something good!

Postby Aspiemom on February 19th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Radiohead's new album is available to download today: http://www.thekingoflimbs.com
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: Transmitter. . . Picking up something good!

Postby Aspiemom on February 25th, 2011, 3:55 am

This is the video for "Lotus Flower." Lots of echoes from "Remain in Light" and SMS, and an amazing performance in its own right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdFy8oLmnEo
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Buck's Student on February 26th, 2011, 5:18 am

I'll repost something I did on OurREM.com

The one thing I get from the album is that they're maturing, and making mellower/lusher music. In a way, it's kind of disappointing, but still a great album. It's just that eventually, they'll be reduced to a really bad state and may retaliate against themselves. They may pull out the distortion pedals like everyone wanted REM to do after Around the Sun, and then make more narrow-minded music (Just like REM).

My ideas for their next move: Instrumental album - Trent Reznor did it recently with NiN, and both bands seem to be moving into more Ambient territory. Ambient music isn't about just calming noise, though. In my experience, and I say this as a guy who has MANY Ambient albums under his belt, Ambient is just as experimental, and sometimes just as noisy, as the rock/progressive stuff they did with OK Computer.

Sadly, many genius musicians have lost their touch through the years - Brian Eno has made several bad albums, and he's the creator of Ambient music. Most artists do this, and I think Radiohead might if they don't move on, because King of Limbs sounds more as though it's In Rainbows 2.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on February 26th, 2011, 8:11 pm

"I have no idea what you are talking about." ;)
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Postby Buck's Student on February 27th, 2011, 5:35 pm

s!mbells wrote:In defense of Artists - I feel trying to constantly find something new is not an easy task, in fact - I feel it's really really hard! ;)

In the Poets life,
Sometimes they're wrong,
Sometimes they're right.

:hippy:

Very true. As a diehard music fan for so many years, it's sometimes hard to find something new to listen to... And now as a musician, I cannot find anything new to record right now.

But Radiohead are fairly open-minded, though... Hopefully their next album won't be a mistake.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buck's Student on March 2nd, 2011, 3:12 am

Groovy. :hippy:

"Will they eventually be reduced to a really bad state and retaliate etc? Well, it’s a mathematical possibility but I just can’t see it happening. There’s just so much creativity and yearning. "

I have heard a lot of people say that, but I just don't agree. Some people actually look for an excuse to say, "Hey, this band sucks now; I don't have to spend anymore money on them." I don't, but I can definitely tell Radiohead are moving into a bad era. I see them as a band centered around Thom Yorke now, and their current approach is too minimal, even in a minimalist fashion, to sustain a good sound.

"There is also something to be said for just wanting to write great music or produce great art without the need to stretch envelopes."
If there's no statement, there's no need. John Cale and Lou Reed had the song "The Trouble with Classicists," where they said "The trouble with a classicist he looks at a tree/That's all he sees, he paints a tree/The trouble with a classicist he looks at the sky/He doesn't ask why, he just paints a sky." There's no point to just making music - That creative laziness has made some good bands go bad very quickly.

"Maybe that’s a question for DB, U2, Coldplay, Paul Simon, MGMT, Leader of Liberal Democrats, Nick Clegg, who appointed Eno as his youth affairs adviser in 2007"

Back in his day, he was a fine producer. I enjoyed the last DB/Eno album, but I am in no way a fan of modern U2, Coldplay, etc (And I'm certainly not a Liberal Democrat, or a Conservative Republican, or Golden Monkey with Polka Dots). That current stuff is badly written, over produced, and is lazy.

But Eno's own material since Nerve Net has served no innovative purposes, anyway. It happens to most artists, and Eno is only human.

- On my studying - I studied three hours tonight for Hist 1111. Spring Break is next week.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buck's Student on March 2nd, 2011, 5:29 am

s!mbells wrote:Do you like the film clip for Lotus Flower?

Nope. Most music videos detest me... ;)
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Buck's Student on March 2nd, 2011, 9:22 pm

s!mbells wrote:Lol - it's the Trumpets mate. How do you put up with them?

:rockdude:

Robert Fripp is in the corner off my room playing a Soundscape at all times - When I eat, sleep, have sex (He doesn't look up from his guitar), and get online. I think I'll get David Byrne in here for some of those trumpet sounds.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Mr.DRC on March 3rd, 2011, 2:42 am

Buck's Student wrote: - When I...have sex

Solo album, I'd wager BS?

:P
Some ex-Civil Servant will forever be a Loved One of the other ex-Civil Servant.ats.
Mr.DRC
Big Daddy

Postby Buck's Student on March 3rd, 2011, 3:59 am

Mr.DRC wrote:
Buck's Student wrote: - When I...have sex

Solo album, I'd wager BS?

:P

Even after four and a half years with my fiance, sure. :roll:
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby Aspiemom on March 3rd, 2011, 5:41 am

Hey, DRC,

I may have neglected to inform you that there is no bullying allowed on my post. I'm telling you now. This post is about Radiohead's new album, which, by the way, sounds particularly awesome if listened to through headphones. Have you downloaded it yet?

The structure of the album is dreamy. It starts out describing a yawn ("open your mouth wide, a universal sigh") and ends with "wake me up." In between, you get twitchy rhythms reminiscent of REM sleep, followed by the slow familiar chords of Codex, then a couple of songs brining you back out of your trance. A masterpiece, don't you agree?
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY