LCD Soundsystem versus Market Forces

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

LCD Soundsystem versus Market Forces

Postby Aspiemom on February 16th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Another battle is being waged in the war of musicians versus markets. This punk-disco band had all of the available tickets for their farewell show at Madison Square Garden gobbled up by scalpers. They're retaliating by scheduling additional shows to flood the market with cheap seats. http://www.slate.com/id/2285212/
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Re: LCD Soundsystem versus Market Forces

Postby Buck's Student on February 16th, 2011, 10:04 pm

*Sigh* There should be a law against companies buying tickets just to sell them higher. Some of the bands charge so much already - Often the same bands against illegal downloading of their music (Which statistics show most downloaders buy the hardcopy later - We're in an economic recession - Music isn't important enough to buy over groceries).

As musician myself, I always give away my music for free, which costs me money, and would never charge a dime for people to hear my music live - Unless I had a band. You're not in it for the money, but it's nice to pay your bills.
Bucky
Buck's Student
Electric Guitar

Postby francey on February 16th, 2011, 10:24 pm

I tried to get tickets for the madison square garden gig myself (plan was to 1-secure tickets, 2-secure plane tickets, 3-book hotel, but I never it through the first item on the to do list...)

It's been crazy - LCD never played for venues bigger than 4,000 and now they seem to sell out 16k @ MSG in less than a minute... and the four shows they added now (at Terminal 5) will probably sell out just as fast. Real James Murphy's emotional letter on http://www.lcdsoundsystem.com

The solution -add 4 shows- might be a good idea. An even better idea, in my humble opinion, would be to reconsider the end of the band and just continue for a couple more albums and world tours.
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Postby Aspiemom on February 18th, 2011, 3:18 am

Sorry the bots boxed you out, Francey. From the link you posted, it sounds like this band wanted its longtime fans to be able to see the show (and maybe priced the tickets below market value for that reason).
There's no way to communicate.
Aspiemom
Papa Legba

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY