Grace Jones' 'Hurricane'

Discovered the new best thing in music? Share your enthousiasm or ask for suggestions. We're all music connaisseurs here.

Grace Jones' 'Hurricane'

Postby reno on November 3rd, 2008, 6:32 pm

Hey Pop Kids

I picked up the brand new album by good ol' Grace this evening. I'm only half way through it as I type this but its incredibly well produced and the songs themselves are terrific.

Francey, I know you're a fan, what do you think?

I'll post again when I've had time to digest it fully.
reno
Television man

Re: Grace Jones' 'Hurricane'

Postby francey on November 4th, 2008, 9:20 pm

"Hurricane" is the first album ever I downloaded before the release - it was supposed to come out late October but was postponed several times, so I just couldn't wait any longer :-) (have the vinyl on order, so no bad conscious)

"Hurricane" is a great album and I'm glad it is. To be honest, I don't hear the Eno contributions, but luckily there's a lot of Sly & Robbie beats and sounds, which makes the album a sort of follow up to the good old Island/Compass Point days. The single "Williams Blood" is in instant classic (performed at Jools Holland last week, must be on YouTube somewhere by now) and without any irony or goofyness she ends it with the first lines of "Amazing Grace" - little goosebump moment on an otherwise rocking album. Couple of fillers near the end, but overall the best she did in over 20 years.

I saw Grace live (finally for the first time) in Belgium some months ago and she totally blew me away. She's doing a little tour in the UK in October, and I bought tickets for both her shows in Camden (London). Now if I could only get her to sign something for me... (or slap me in the face, or whatever she does when people approach her, hahaha).
"Why quote others when you can quote yourself ?" - Francey
francey
Site Admin

Re: Grace Jones' 'Hurricane'

Postby reno on November 4th, 2008, 10:47 pm

I agree, its a first class album. Really glad ol' Sly and Robbie are involved but I think its the title track which is most impressive, which she wrote with Tricky. The last song is also another epic song. I'm thinking about getting a ticket for the January gig in London but a bit poor at the moment. But then it is Grace Jones...
reno
Television man

Return to AIN'T GOT NO RECORDS TO PLAY